Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 PM

383 posts, read 429,818 times

Advertisements

What's your heat source? I had a similar problem in a home with cast-iron radiators. I knew that the previous owners were smokers; I didn't know that one smoked cigars. They were also heavy meat eaters (the oven wasn't cleaned when I moved in, and it took me an entire day to clean). After a year of waking up with red eyes, I waited until a very cold day when the heat was high. I mixed scalding water with OxyClean, literally poured it over the radiators, and watched a mixture of grease and nicotine so revolting come off. I Shop-Vac-ed the water.

If you have forced hot air, there absolutely could be something in the air vents. If you have baseboard heat, clean them. I recommend OxyClean for baseboards as well. Vacuuming alone may get rid of suffocating, asthma-causing dust; it won't get rid of viscous materials such as the ones that caused my misery (nicotine, tar, meat grease).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Have you ever pulled out the stove and cleaned under and around it? It sounds like you have leftover grease around the cooking area - very prevalent with some cultures that do a lot of frying as in Asian and Southern Asian cooking. Who lived in the house before your husband? The grease gets atomized and gets into crevices and coats walls, even behind appliances. It can also be in the exhaust system, but you don't even seem to know if you have one. Is the microwave mounted above the stove with a built in fan? It could be in there.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Have you ever pulled out the stove and cleaned under and around it? It sounds like you have leftover grease around the cooking area - very prevalent with some cultures that do a lot of frying as in Asian and Southern Asian cooking. Who lived in the house before your husband? The grease gets atomized and gets into crevices and coats walls, even behind appliances. It can also be in the exhaust system, but you don't even seem to know if you have one. Is the microwave mounted above the stove with a built in fan? It could be in there.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Pull out the stove and clean under it and make your calendar to do it at least 3 times a year. Its amazing how dirty under your fridge and stove can get in a short time.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
What's your heat source?
That's what I was going to ask. Especially if you have forced air, there could be something in the vents. But...since you seem to think it's most noticeable near the oven area, maybe it's just something within or under your stove--or on walls behind (not sure what you kitchen setup is like).

Old 11-21-2014, 07:30 AM

492 posts, read 631,108 times
IF your refrigerator has a drip pan it could be the source
of your smell OR if your stove is propane you might be
leaving a knob turned on just a little.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Many years ago gas smelt like gas, recently I noticed gas has a different smell. Could you have a very tiny leak by your connection?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
How about sectioning off portions of the kitchen with plastic sheeting. Maybe divide the room in half. Make one side air tight - tape it floor to ceiling.

Then let it sit over night, see which side has a stronger odor.

Maybe you could narrow down the source of the odor that way?

Old 11-21-2014, 12:30 PM

388 posts, read 686,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Microwaves typically have a vent pipe above them, and a vent fan as part of the microwave. (The little silver colored screen is the filter entrance to the vent system in the microwave. I gather you have removed and cleaned that.) A draft damper on the microwave prevents downdrafts and the smell from the vent. If your draft damper isn't working, and/or the vent is clogged or not terminating high enough the roof line, you may be smelling the crud in the vent. A fix would involve removing the microwave and then inspecting/cleaning/replacing the vent stack, verifying the damper functions properly, and replacing the microwave. Inspecting the hidden cabinetry while the microwave is down is also important.
I don't know how to do any of that. The only part of the post I understand is the part about the silver pipe thing connected to the microwave.

Since our microwave is not even 1 year old and the odor preceded the new microwave, I'm not certain if that is the reason but would be willing to take a look. I just don't know how. Also, since the micro is new, I have not taken off a grate for the fan, because I'm not sure anything is there.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
What's your heat source? I had a similar problem in a home with cast-iron radiators. I knew that the previous owners were smokers; I didn't know that one smoked cigars. They were also heavy meat eaters (the oven wasn't cleaned when I moved in, and it took me an entire day to clean). After a year of waking up with red eyes, I waited until a very cold day when the heat was high. I mixed scalding water with OxyClean, literally poured it over the radiators, and watched a mixture of grease and nicotine so revolting come off. I Shop-Vac-ed the water.

If you have forced hot air, there absolutely could be something in the air vents. If you have baseboard heat, clean them. I recommend OxyClean for baseboards as well. Vacuuming alone may get rid of suffocating, asthma-causing dust; it won't get rid of viscous materials such as the ones that caused my misery (nicotine, tar, meat grease).
Our heat source is central heat and AC. The previous owners were not smokers to our knowledge.
That is gross what you had to do.

However, thanks for the OxyClean suggestion. We don't have OC but we have Tide Oxy which is comparable. I will try to use that to clean the cabinets in case there is something that I have missed.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yes. We pulled the fridge out and cleaned under that. We have done that a few times.
As far as the oven...no. But we get a new one tomorrow and we already have a plan in place to clean the floor, wall and sides of cabinets when the old was is removed. Hubby will have the vacuum ready and I will have cleaning solution and the Swiffer ready.

Thank you for validating that it is likely grease. Although the previous owners were not Asian or South Asian, they may have fried a lot of food and not cleaned it well. My husband had met them a few times when he viewed the house. What I don't understand though, is that my dad fries food weekly - sometimes nearly daily, and their kitchen doesn't smell like this.

The micro is mounted above the oven but it is new - less than 1 year old. How do I get in there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House