Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 AM

9,125 posts, read 14,669,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson C. View Post
That's not entirely true....typical "smokers" build up immunities to such things. It's why a regular smoker can go into a room with a cracked heat exchanger and full of carbon monoxide and feel for the most part fine, while everyone else is dizzy, puking and filling ill or passing out.
Never heard of the ability to build up a tolerance for CO.

As far as asbestos and other particulate exposure, when you smoke, the fine hairs in your lung are stunned and stop moving for a period of time. The movement normally allows them to catch and move contaminants out of the tissue. If they are not moving and something gets in there, it is that much harder to get out if you smoke.

I think you will find a pretty large number of people with asbestosis or silicosis were smokers and a very small percentage were nonsmokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 01:38 PM

621 posts, read 1,110,139 times
Quote:
That's not entirely true....typical "smokers" build up immunities to such things. It's why a regular smoker can go into a room with a cracked heat exchanger and full of carbon monoxide and feel for the most part fine, while everyone else is dizzy, puking and filling ill or passing out.
Hmmm... the advantages living a smoker's lifestyle(?). EVERY report on asbestos that I've ever read lists tobacco smokers as more likely to be effected by asbestos exposure.

Also, to be clear, cracked heat exchangers are a component of what produces CO but the crack itself isn't the pathway for the exposure. The pathway is usually a breach in the flue or diverter hood spillage which could go unnoticed or leave the occupants unexposed for long periods even though the CO exists. That's why annual inspection are really important, especially for equipment in concealed or remote locations.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM

348 posts, read 326,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Hmmm... the advantages living a smoker's lifestyle(?). EVERY report on asbestos that I've ever read lists tobacco smokers as more likely to be effected by asbestos exposure.

Also, to be clear, cracked heat exchangers are a component of what produces CO but the crack itself isn't the pathway for the exposure. The pathway is usually a breach in the flue or diverter hood spillage which could go unnoticed or leave the occupants unexposed for long periods even though the CO exists. That's why annual inspection are really important, especially for equipment in concealed or remote locations.
Nope, that big crack or rust hole is directly over or under the blower wheel. If you don't have a pressure switch or a flame rollout sensor, the furnace keeps running. Nothing after about the mid 80's will be without one or the other. On newer furnaces, Carrier 90% in particular...the recoup cell becomes blocked and also releases a nasty smell. One of the safety devices will lock it out and shut it off...but the only way to fix it is a new furnace or replacement heat exchanger.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Never heard of the ability to build up a tolerance for CO.

As far as asbestos and other particulate exposure, when you smoke, the fine hairs in your lung are stunned and stop moving for a period of time. The movement normally allows them to catch and move contaminants out of the tissue. If they are not moving and something gets in there, it is that much harder to get out if you smoke.

I think you will find a pretty large number of people with asbestosis or silicosis were smokers and a very small percentage were nonsmokers.
Only because MOST contractors are smokers rather than non. It's still that way in 2014. Go out to a jobsite sometime.....everybody either drinks, chews or smokes or all of the above. Finding a contractor who does nothing is like finding a 40 year old Victoria Secret model who is a virgin.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Nope, that big crack or rust hole is directly over or under the blower wheel. If you don't have a pressure switch or a flame rollout sensor, the furnace keeps running. Nothing after about the mid 80's will be without one or the other. On newer furnaces, Carrier 90% in particular...the recoup cell becomes blocked and also releases a nasty smell. One of the safety devices will lock it out and shut it off...but the only way to fix it is a new furnace or replacement heat exchanger.
You couldn't be more wrong...except for the replacement comment.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong...except for the replacement comment.
The only way you could have flue carbon monoxide gas spillage from a draft hood is from either the flue pipe or chimney being blocked or the pipe itself not being elevated the required 1/4" per foot uphill slope. Also rust holes or splits in the actual flue pipe. It also has to be less than a 80% furnace. Anything 80% or higher doesn't have a draft hood, it has a combustion inducer motor that forces flue gasses up and out under power via a electric motor and blower wheel. Your flue pipe will be 24 gauge or 26 gauge galvanized steel on anything 80% or below. On a 90% or above, the flue gas condenses into moisture and is a highly corrosive liquid in which PVC pipe must ALWAYS be used to vent it. Both the 80% and 90% furnace is a closed system and don't rely on anything to draft. It's all positive and negative pressure systems. Your pressure switch will always let you know if something ain't right....she'll lockout.

More tech info is available upon request from the fully licensed, bonded and insured Mr. Wilson....

Old 12-21-2014, 03:13 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,191,713 times
Just because the asbestos tested at 22% does not mean there was a major fiber release episode. It only means that the materials that were in the basement contained asbestos.

I get that you are worried.
I get that the landlord didn't do a very good job of removing asbestos and cleaning up.

I think what you don't get is you are really at a pretty low risk factor, and are somewhat over-reacting.
I hope it works out for you and you find a better place top live soon.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 AM

9,125 posts, read 14,669,682 times
Quote:

So, what you're saying is that as long as you have a good flue, no need to worry about the cracked heat exchanger that is the only thing stopping the exhaust gas from mixing directly into the air blowing though the ducts into your house? You might want to think for a second about what you are saying.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, what you're saying is that as long as you have a good flue, no need to worry about the cracked heat exchanger that is the only thing stopping the exhaust gas from mixing directly into the air blowing though the ducts into your house? You might want to think for a second about what you are saying.
I'm up for a little amusement. Offer a reasonable explaination on how flue gases, which are under a negative pressure inside the heat exchanger, somehow, under magical circumstances, defy all physical properties known to man and pass thru a crack that has .5" w/c pressing against the outside of the heat exchanger due to the fan's static pressure.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,282,826 times
actaully the risk of a smoker exposed to asbestos getting asbestos related diseases is much higher than due to either asbestos or smoking ( I am too lazy to look it up in my asbestos workers handbook) I sample for asbestos on occassion and when we had consultants doing sampling they did not even mask up as it created too much worry in the building occupants. The OP did not say the age of the buidling or perhaps I missed it. The advise of making sure to spray down everything before cleaning it is a good one as it can only harm you if you inhale it. Most of us living in old houses have asbestos in it. As long as it is not disturbed it poses no danger. Sweeping it up is bad as is using a normal vacuum cleaner (actually that is worse) The vacuum must have HEPA filter on it if you use one.

I looked it up and smokers with asbestos exposure have up to 70 times increase risk for lung cancer whereas for smiling only about 10 times and asbestos exposure only about 5 times.

Keep small children and pets out of the areas as they are more likely to raise up particles than would adults. Do not panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House