Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
People have more important things to do nowadays than
to spend hours doing housework.

Beyond a certain threshold (keeping house hygienic and decluttered), housework confers
little benefit, especially for being such a time sink.
It just becomes cleaning for the sake of cleaning, or to seem like a
good Martha Stewart.

Instead, people are opting to do things they actually enjoy, or things that will
actually make a difference in their/others' lives.
I could have written this!

I would have added, "And we have fiqured out in 2 weeks it will look the same anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 01:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
People have more important things to do nowadays than to spend hours doing housework.

Beyond a certain threshold (keeping house hygienic and decluttered), housework confers little benefit, especially for being such a time sink.

It just becomes cleaning for the sake of cleaning, or to seem like a good Martha Stewart.

Instead, people are opting to do things they actually enjoy, or things that will actually make a difference in their/others' lives.
I actually enjoy keeping a clean house, and my family and I enjoy every minute that we spend together in a clean, orderly house as well.

Also, my husband and I like to do the housework together, as well as little home maintenance projects. We even enjoy our little ritual of making the bed up together in the morning, and turning it down together in the evening.

I love surveying the clean kitchen right before I turn off the lights at night, knowing that my coffee maker is primed and ready to go first thing in the morning. We enjoy waking up to a clean, pleasant, uncluttered house each morning and sharing our coffee together in a peaceful sunshiny house that smells good, feels good, and looks good to us.

Some of the small, seemingly mundane things in life can be gratifying too, you know.

But different bites for different likes. One of the things that I think is important to happiness is being with a person who has the same standards and expectations. Makes things a lot easier when both people are just naturally pitching in as they see fit and no one is nagging anyone about anything.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I LOVE this tip! I am going to use it!

I only clean the top of the fridge at Christmas. That is because that is the only time my tall BIL visits, and he is the only one who can see up there.
LOL just about the time I'm thinking my house is clean, someone reminds me of the top of the fridge, which is lucky to be swiped at twice a year!

Old 11-26-2014, 01:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL just about the time I'm thinking my house is clean, someone reminds me of the top of the fridge, which is lucky to be swiped at twice a year!
I'm glad I have a built in fridge! For me this is in the same category as baseboards... If it gets cleaned once a year I consider myself ahead of the curve.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I'm glad I have a built in fridge! For me this is in the same category as baseboards... If it gets cleaned once a year I consider myself ahead of the curve.
No! Now you've mentioned baseboards!

I clean those during my spring cleaning rampage, and then usually just before the holidays. That's it. I just don't look at them the rest of the year.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:17 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
It makes me sad that due to an accident my back is messed up and even though I did have an operation, I still can't bend. I'm on Medicare and they do not pay for homemaker help so I have to do what I can. I have to pick up things off the floor with a picker, I bought a rolling chair that helps with cooking and such but I have to wash the dishes standing up and that hurts. I also bought a light weight vacuum and that helps. But, when I try to do deep cleaning I pay for it for 1-2 days afterward.

I live with it but it's hard. Even making my bed takes 10-15 minutes as I try to find a way to put the bottom sheet on without further hurting my back.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:17 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
I'm definitely not as tidy as you, but we have weekly deep cleans for bathrooms, floors as well as dusting. Then during the week we keep up on dishes, which are done after dinner and daily litter box cleanings. Our house wouldn't be considered fithly but occasionally our paper work, throw pillows, controllers and cables are less than tidy. Plus we don't make our beds daily - terrible I know

Back in the day, women use to stay home and keep the house, now both parents work and time together is much more important than scrubbing grout. If I had to decide between cleaning and watching a movie with my family in the evening it will always be the latter. Most people I know also keep reasonably clean homes.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:07 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We have a very nice guest suite in our finished basement. Maybe too nice, because people keep wanting to come back!

One thing that drives me nuts in my mom's house is that you can never find anything. She's constantly looking for keys, a purse, some piece of paper... it's just chaos when every surface is covered. I was at her house a couple weeks ago to help with my father's funeral, and I had paperwork for her to sign. There was no place to set it down without it disappearing into other paperwork! I just don't understand how she lives that way, in constant chaos. And then people were coming over from the church one day and she asked me to move some things and "clean up" before they got there. Well, you can't clean anything up because there's nowhere to move anything to.
She needs a system for paperwork and hasn't figured one out. Maybe you could gift her a professional organizer's services for a day? Once the paperwork is under control and she has the skills to keep it that way she may have the peace of mind to control other areas of clutter.

My sympathy over the loss of your father.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I don't know...unless someone's house is outright filthy I don't care if they aren't great housekeepers.

However, it drives me absolutely bonkers that people say they are Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. You can't "be" an illness. OCD is not a little quirk that adds to your cuteness because you like to Swiffer your floor.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I actually enjoy keeping a clean house, and my family and I enjoy every minute that we spend together in a clean, orderly house as well.

Also, my husband and I like to do the housework together, as well as little home maintenance projects. We even enjoy our little ritual of making the bed up together in the morning, and turning it down together in the evening.

I love surveying the clean kitchen right before I turn off the lights at night, knowing that my coffee maker is primed and ready to go first thing in the morning. We enjoy waking up to a clean, pleasant, uncluttered house each morning and sharing our coffee together in a peaceful sunshiny house that smells good, feels good, and looks good to us.

Some of the small, seemingly mundane things in life can be gratifying too, you know.

But different bites for different likes. One of the things that I think is important to happiness is being with a person who has the same standards and expectations. Makes things a lot easier when both people are just naturally pitching in as they see fit and no one is nagging anyone about anything.
I'll be honest and admit to being a little jealous of how people can summon up the willpower and energy to clean every day aftera hard days work. The minute I walk in, I just collapse on the sofa and eat dinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House