Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyce12 View Post
Hi,

While the bathroom has been renovated, the landlord says the bldg is old and he can't do anything about this slow drainage problem. I have yet to ask my neighbors about it. But am I to live without using my bathroom sink until my lease is up in two years?

Any suggestions/ideas - I'd greatly appreciate them.
If you are going to play investigator, then you need to ask all the neighbors in your vertical line. If you do so, you will annoy your LL possibility out of your lease not being renewed. If the handyman came over and removed the pipe under the sink and found nothing then the issue is in the wall. As long as the water is flowing, then he has to do nothing. If the water backs up and does not flow then he has to go and get a plumber to go to the roof an run an auger from the air inlet pipe all the way down to the basement. Since the pipes are old, it may cause a rupture in the pipe and someone losing their entire bathroom. Also keep in mind that the water would be shut off for whatever amount of days it will take to do this procedure on a building so no one send more water into the line while it's being worked on.

FYI:

Before anyone else responds keep in mind that this is a building and not a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 10:54 AM

17,446 posts, read 65,798,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Before anyone else responds keep in mind that this is a building and not a house.

Doesn't matter one way or the other- Landlord/tennent laws still apply.

"Any" drain that requires 20mins to discharge a small amount of water is a drain that is not working properly- "doing nothing" because it's inside a wall is HORSE S#!T.

And if the LL doesn't want to renew the lease because the leasee is a pain in he's/her ass- I say well and good, because it's probably not a worthy place to begin with.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Could also be that the sink doesn't have a vent - we lived in an older house that had two kitchen sinks, one a small round sink clearly added later. It didn't drain well at all. We added a little undersink vent and it got slightly better.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,231,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyce12 View Post
Hi,

I recently moved into a bldg built in the 1920's. The apartment itself has been recently renovated, kitchen, floors, bathroom, etc. I noticed the water in the bathroom sink wasn't draining as quickly as it should normally then I noticed the water leaking from underneath. While I told my landlord and he did send in a plumber pretty quickly, I believe something was done to stop the leak while the sink water still takes about 20 minutes to drain when running for only 10-15 seconds.

While the bathroom has been renovated, the landlord says the bldg is old and he can't do anything about this slow drainage problem. I have yet to ask my neighbors about it. But am I to live without using my bathroom sink until my lease is up in two years?

I've read about baking soda, vinegar and boiling water which I will try this weekend. But I can't believe he can't do anything about it and it fine with letting me live like this. I believe the renovation might not have been done properly and my landlord is just not willing to get into it. There is no hair and should not be any gunk in the pipes as of yet, unless its from construction.

Any suggestions/ideas - I'd greatly appreciate them.
Have you tried cleaning the drain with a wire brush?

At least once a year my husband has to take out the stoppers of the sinks in our master bath and scrub away - using hot water and that long skinny wire brush. Our sinks start to drain slowly due to a buildup of bacteria from all the "stuff" that goes down the sinks. When we had to share our bathroom (for a year & due to remodeling of other bathrooms that took waaaaaaay too long) with all 3 of our kids he was cleaning them out a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House