Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:09 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,047,659 times

Advertisements

Sounds like your floors are moving. Tile should not crack if it is laid on a proper base. I wouldn't let the builder tell me that my "Warranty is up", this is an ongoing problem and the builders liability doesn't end just because the time limit ran out. If he goes that route have a lawyer send him a letter stating that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
warranty or not, a builder in a small town like Franklin, Ohio would be wise to be good on the repair, unless it's a structural issue not connected to him. Are you dealing with the tile installer or the general contractor? Or were YOU the general?

I was called to regrout a stone fireplace in a large subdivision and did it anyway when I discovered it was one of the few that wasn't even ours!

Old 12-20-2014, 12:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
Because it's in different areas, it sounds more like a bad workmanship issue. I would suggest you take a pen and tap on each and every tile with the blunt end. If it sounds hollow, it's a future cracked tile and is because of a lousy install. In Texas, this is called a builders defect and is warrantable for life. Surely Ohio has some standards where workmanship is guaranteed.
FWIW, this should cost the builder nothing but arranging to have the original sub replace the effected areas or the entire house if a color match isn't possible.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:37 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,182 times
Warn me to cover key board hahahaha but yea a little info would sure help..
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Ya know, it would help if you explained what type of tile, where its installed, and the type of subfloor/wall it's installed on. Otherwise, this is the blind leading the blind-

I'm sure there is an answer to be had here- but we can't give it through osmosis!

Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default How long is their nose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missi Sue View Post
Said they have never had this problem before.
Liars.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
It's porcelain floor tile. We had it laid in, front entry way, Hallways, bathrooms, kitchen, dinning room, Breakfast area.
It started out just being 2 tiles cracked, they fix them. Now the new number is 14. Three in Dinning Rm., 7 in Front entry way, 2 in foyer from garage, 2 in Master bath room. Not in one area of house.
Will the cracks become larger ? should we ask for carpet ?
When it gets cold there are popping sounds night and day. Could this be the tiles cracking ?
1 Yr. Warranty was up in Nov. Ranch with full basement.
Said they have never had this problem before. they have been nice about it, but did mention, "You Know Your Warranty is Up".

That random a pattern sounds like the install was not correct or material is having issues. Maybe when they mixed the thinset some batches were dry or possibly water is seeping through the slab and the tiles are simply popping off the thinset. Is the tile loose between the thinset and back of tile or does it pull up the thinset with the tile and it's loosening between the tile/thinset and slab
I've seen houses and owned houses with 20-30 year old tile that never came up or got loose

Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 13,920 times
Yes we have a combination of clay and gravel. We are South of Dayton, Ohio.
There isn't one tile cracked by it's self. It is 2 or more, side by side or in a row.
The largest is 3 down, and 3 across, in a form of a cross +

Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Nothing to worry about

Quote:
largest is 3 down, and 3 across, in a form of a cross +
When they form a pentagram, you should worry.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:46 PM

340 posts, read 664,432 times
Quote:
Yes we have a combination of clay and gravel. We are South of Dayton, Ohio.
There isn't one tile cracked by it's self. It is 2 or more, side by side or in a row.
The largest is 3 down, and 3 across, in a form of a cross +
I'm wondering if the installer failed to prepare a proper subfloor as mentioned earlier. You mentioned you had a full basement -- which means that the tiles were laid over a floor having joists and a subfloor nailed to the joists. In this case the subfloor should consist of at least two layers. The lower layer is probably some type of 4x8 wood composite panel such as oriented strand board (OSB), or it could be plywood. Over that lower layer should be some type of tile backer board, commonly a cement-type of material such as Durock or Hardibacker. See if you can tell what is under the tile -- maybe you can lift out a floor heating register to see what types of layers are in your subfloor.

I've seen jobs done by complete idiots where the tiles were laid directly onto the wood panel OSB or plywood subfloor without using a tile backer board. Or, the installer would lay down a second layer of plywood, thinking it would serve as a tile backer board (it won't). In those cases it was common for the tiles to fracture along lines that were directly above the joints of the wood subfloor. Since the panels are typically 4x8 feet, if your fracture lines in the tiles are 4 feet or 8 feet apart, I would bet that the tile setter did not use any tile backer board.

Another possibility is that the floor joists are undersized. Is there a lot of bounce in your floor? If the joists are undersized, there will be excessive deflection in the floor when it is being used, causing the tiles to crack. Excessive deflection might also be caused by a wood subfloor that is too thin. Again, you might be able to determine the thickness of the subfloor layers by removing one of the floor heating registers.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Quote:
they have been nice about it, but did mention, "You Know Your Warranty is Up".
To which you need to reply:
You know the Ohio Supreme Court could care less about your warranty because they said "We conclude that in Ohio, a duty to construct houses in a workmanlike manner using ordinary care is imposed by law on all home builders.", so fix the damn tiles!

You have many court cases in your favor and the builder is simply using the warranty expiration as a bluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House