Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 AM

276 posts, read 337,808 times

Advertisements

This is hypothetical. If you were to build a new house what features or things or systems would you like, and why if you want to elaborate.

I'd prefer a house on some acreage set back from the road so I have a bit of space from neighbors and there's no traffic noise.

Hydronic underfloor heat because it's efficient, quiet, and fairly even.

Alarm/home automation wired to every door and window for security, convenience, and energy savings.

Whole house audio. I've seen this and it's surprising how much it get used. Being able to feed TV, computer, MP3 player, etc. throughout the house, garage, and yard/patio is sweet.

Ducted A/C because it's unobtrusive.

Attached three car garage near the kitchen for two cars plus shop area.

Humidity control for comfort and energy savings. Higher humidity air feels warmer in the winter so you can comfortably lower the set temperature.

Outdoor receptacles on all sides plus across yard and out at end of driveway. Also additional receptacles under eves for Christmas lights.

Dusk to dawn sensor wired to and selectable for exterior lights.

Outdoor water faucets on all sides plus around property/yard.

Loop driveway so you don't have to backup, back out, or turn around (accept leaving garage).

Many windows for light in and view out. Perhaps with perhaps with automated insulated covers that close at night or when away making the poorly insulated window more like an insulated wall.

Gas stove. I just like gas the best.

Open kitchen layout. Better for socializing.

Detached workshop/garage with small apartment above for storage, projects, and hobbies; plus guest quarters.

In-ground hot-tub/spa. I just like em.

Wine cellar. For wine of course.

Home theater. Movie buff.

What can you add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
If your new house does not have city water.......you will need a water well.

Make sure it produces lots of water......nothing smaller than a 5" PVC.

Install a SEQ pumping system (constant pressure) you will love it.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
"butler's pantry" off the kitchen - a galley style hallway room with floor-to-ceiling cabinets on both sides. Glass doors so you can see contents. Maybe a wine/beverage fridge in the pantry, maybe a prep sink. In a perfect world, it would open up into a large mudroom. Power outlets for things like coffeemaker, espresso machine, toaster to keep them off the counters in the kitchen.

Like this, but scaled down:
http://snowtango.com/wp-content/uplo...e-style-of.jpg

Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Home run plumbing.
Metal roof.
Low-E windows.
Purple foam insulation.
Pre-wire the kitchen for an induction hob--just in case.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:20 PM

276 posts, read 337,808 times
I forgot, a small water heater at the kitchen sink so hot water is nearly instant (instead of hot water recirculating).

Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM

336 posts, read 591,551 times
Ethernet cable drops (Cat 6) in all TV locations
Pre-wire for security camera at front door
Additional coax cable runs for over-the-air HDTV\radio antenna
Thermostats in locations that make sense
Heated floor in all bathrooms
Pre-wire for automated blinds
Wet bar because it looks cool

Old 12-28-2014, 02:56 PM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
It depends on your budget.

Gas for grill and fireplaces
Alarm for garages
A/c for garages
Water on every corner of the house and put in the yard
Outdoor toilet/shower
Walk in pantry and laundry
Power outlets everywhere on the outside

Old 12-28-2014, 03:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,099 times
If I could, I would have the following:
A mud room where I could come in and rinse my feet off or leave my muddy clothes if there wasn't a drain.
I would put the water heater in the garage instead of up in the attic where it could flood the house.
I would also like a screened in porch, a kitchen island, and a walk-through door near the garage door so I don't have to raise it up and down frequently.

I have a nice-sized workshop that's separate from the garage, and I'm very happy about that.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:58 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,723 times
I would love to have in my ideal (i.e., dream) house:
1. In-floor hydronic heating (particularly in bathrooms)
2. Home run plumbing
3. The most expensive and energy efficient windows money can buy along with spray foam insulation and proper attic sealing to prevent heat loss and ice dams.
4. Metal shingle roof (mostly because they look cool).
5. Heated garage.
6. Hydronic heated driveway and walkways.
7. Full home automation (i.e., Lutron).

Can you guess that I live in a cold and snowy climate?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
1) Plenty of outlets and circuits
2) Cat 5E and coax wired to a network closet in rooms and in some utility spaces (for wireless APs)
3) Heated floor in kitchen and bathrooms. On a timer so I don't have to freeze my feet off in the morning
4) At least two full-size bathrooms. Don't have to be McMansion-huge, just have to accommodate a 5' tub, 60" vanity, commode, and a linen closet without being cramped.
5) A couple of largish rooms with direct exterior access and not dedicated to laundry, for my hobbies and my wife's studio. Garage access would be second choice. An outbuilding (with electricity, plumbing including 1/2 bath, and HVAC) would be another option.
6) Natural gas for grill.
7) Hot water recirculation or other instant hot water system.
8) Dual-fuel range.
9) A roof antenna, because F--- Comcast.
10) Lots of windows and skylights. I hate dark houses.
11) Plenty of storage area.
12) 2 or 3 car attached garage.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm easily bankrupt by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House