Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:25 AM

524 posts, read 572,406 times

Advertisements

I have always liked tub/shower combos. I don't like soaking in tubs, so the tub is for washing children, pets, and large items. The shallow tub allows me to reach into the tub easier.

Old house had a giant tub and a tiny shower in the master. The shower was too claustrophobic to use.

New house has a deep soaker tub and big walk in shower in the master. The tub is wasted on us, just something that needs to be dusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,950,049 times
The last house had a shower room that was about 7' x 11'. It was originally a shower building from when the house had been part of the sugar companies worker housing, we wouldn't have built it that big ourselves. Originally, it was just a line of shower heads on the wall with a concrete floor with a floor drain. A big huge tub was put in one end with a shower head on the wall and one from the ceiling but neither was above the tub. There was a slatted bench seat at the shower area. The shower drained to the existing floor drain but there wasn't any curb or anything to really differentiate the shower area from the general floor area.

The floor was tiled, halfway up the wall was tiled. Huge windows were installed along the tub - 8' long x 4' high - so you can soak in the tub and overlook the ocean and gulch next to the house. The bath house is on the side of a hill and located so nobody can see in the windows. A toilet and sink were put in at the other end of the bath house. A TV was mounted up near the ceiling above the tub, too. A big wide board across the tub made a good table for food or a laptop. Kind of similar to a TV tray type table used for folks who want to eat in bed.

That was a really nice bath house. I preferred the shower, my DH preferred the tub. He'd spend hours soaking in the tub. Since the shower wasn't a separate enclosure and the tiles were rustic stone of some sort, it was pretty easy to keep clean, too. Mostly hose it down (there was a hot water hose connection for washing dogs with and we had a garden spray attachment was loaded with soap) then squeegee it and it was done.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,565,752 times
Agree. I love to have a shower over a tub. I hate shower stalls.

We did live in one house where they had a huge double shower instead of the tub though. That was nice, and I'd have that again.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,492,473 times
As a man, I personally only want the shower, but I don't see the issue with the bath being there if someone is going to use it. My wife loves taking a bath, so it gets it use. If it's unused though, yes, it's a horrible waste.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,745,938 times
I have a separate tub and a shower stall. The tub gets used to collect dust and drape drying damp clothes over. That's it. The last time it was used for a bath was....probably over 6 or 7 years ago. My house is almost 30 years old, so it's definitely not a new trend.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,613,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep... not a fan of two separate things to clean!
Why should you have to clean both fixtures if you are only using one?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 PM

17,447 posts, read 65,806,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Why should you have to clean both fixtures if you are only using one?
You've obviously never had a 6' cultured marble tub!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,929,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ok - I officially hate the new trend of a master bath with soaker tub and separate shower stall.

Agree or disagree?

Personally, I would rather have the square footage that one or the other takes up added to the master bedroom or master closet. Even if it isn't much space, I think having both is a waste of space.
I'd love to have a spacious master bathroom with a very big walk-in shower. I'd also like a tub for resale.

Honestly I don't care if the bedroom is small. I guess we just differ on this one.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:50 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,550,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep... not a fan of two separate things to clean!
That's what my first thought was too!

Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,094,361 times
We have a large master bath with separate tub and a shower stall. I seldom use the shower; DH sometimes uses the tub. the tub is jetted and those get used if I have overworked the muscles. There is still room for a walk in closet, too.

I could not do without the tub. If I ever get too feeble to climb in and out, we'll put in a walk-in style soaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House