Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:25 PM

18 posts, read 32,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Don't want to question why you guys need to live this way... I'm sure there's good reason at least to you and/or your husband.

How about running a long garden hose from your in-law's house to your place (at least to the yard area around you). Put an open/close valve at your end of the hose. Then you can wash things and let the water run onto the yard. Or you can even rig up a sink and collect the waste water in a bucket that you dump out somewhere periodically.
We tried that, but things were alittle messy. The sink was outside and the water wouldn't drain right. It was kind of disgusting. I guess we could install it inside, i'll have to ask the hubby since we still have the sink.

And to those who are questioning us using water from the hose: His parents do the same thing. Our well isn't safe to drink, atleast i dont believe it is. When we take showers it comes out yellow and sometimes with dirt. In laws go into town and fill jugs at their parents house with a hose.

Nothing is worse then the black water they didn't bother to fix outside the kitchen sink. That was beyond nasty and probably did break health codes. I'd say we are safer above the garage then in that house (although thankfully, my husband and his grandfather/grandmother fixed it but it was like that for atleast a year)

Old 01-21-2015, 05:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirinafa View Post
We tried that, but things were alittle messy. The sink was outside and the water wouldn't drain right. It was kind of disgusting. I guess we could install it inside, i'll have to ask the hubby since we still have the sink.

And to those who are questioning us using water from the hose: His parents do the same thing. Our well isn't safe to drink, atleast i dont believe it is. When we take showers it comes out yellow and sometimes with dirt. In laws go into town and fill jugs at their parents house with a hose.

Nothing is worse then the black water they didn't bother to fix outside the kitchen sink. That was beyond nasty and probably did break health codes. I'd say we are safer above the garage then in that house (although thankfully, my husband and his grandfather/grandmother fixed it but it was like that for atleast a year)
You are not planning on using that well for your new home are you???

Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM

18 posts, read 32,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You are not planning on using that well for your new home are you???
No, that is his parents property. Our well is only 6-7 years old and as far as we know works great.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
No, that is his parents property. Our well is only 6-7 years old and as far as we know works great.
If it is near your garage.....hook it up.

Even if you have to carry the water in from the well.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,036 times
Lightbulb What About A Used Water Cooler

Once I Needed Water In An Area Where There Was No Plumbing At All, Only Power!

So My Dad found an old used water cooler and jugs. We cleaned them up and added a hose with a nozzle to one of the spouts on the front. Leaving one as is. That way you can have one free for pouring!

We found a stand alone counter top and my dad cut a hole into the counter and inserted a stainless steel bowl with a hole in the bottom, into the hole in the counter top! (you can get a cheap plug, so you can do the dishes!!)

We placed a bucket underneath to catch the used water and then it was very easy to empty later!!!

Many of these items can be found at second hand stores, dollar stores and yard sales!! Very easy to find at very little cost!!

*** TIP** If You Buy one large bottle of water you can pop the top right off, and actually reuse the Lid For A long time****

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
I get REALLY TIRED of other people telling me I should have a certain standard of living! And so should you OP! (Just ignore them and only respond to the constructive suggestions - would be my advice.)

As for myself, I wanted to buy a house I could afford - nothing fancy. The real estate people kept insisting I should look for a "perfect house" which cost twice as much...

Myself? I preferred to buy a dump - broken windows and all - which had lower payments. Then I can pay for things like food, gas for the car, etc.!

I just went shopping today and had no problem paying for what I needed. I don't have expensive house payments - that is a GOOD thing if you ask me! (I also don't have creditors calling me, etc.)

Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Oh please, millions of people worldwide live without these needless luxuries. Granted they don't live as long and suffer from diseases that are cured in the first world, but they're alive. For a while.
Yeah sign me up for that routine, LOL

Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would look into getting some structure onto your two-acre property, even if it delays finishing the rest of your house. Have you thought about a modular cottage? Or, even a conventionally built cottage? You could use some of the smaller house plans developed after Katrina that have 1BR with a kitchen area, and a bathroom, which you could always use as a cottage for aged relatives in the future, once your house gets built. It would allow them some independence, and if not used for that purpose, it has the potential to be a source of income if you rented your guest house to a friend. Some of these cottage plans are only 400-500 square feet, so it would be a relatively economical build, especially if you are able to do much of the work yourselves.

The other type of structure I would consider would be a two- or three-car garage with quarters above it, similar to what you have now, but with a real bathroom and kitchen. With a two-car garage, you can find a stock plan that would complement your future home that would have 1BR, a bathroom, kitchen, and living room facilities above the garage. While you are building your house, you could use the garage as a workshop and for storage of expensive materials as they are delivered/brought to the job site, so that things do not get stolen or broken. Someone living on the property, as well, would deter trespassers from doing anything to your under-construction new home. Then, when the house is built, you have a garage for parking and storage, even continued use as a workshop, and the apartment above serving as a potential income unit or guest quarters. Since the apartment would necessitate a stairway, probably not the best option for aged relatives if there were mobility issues, but you could always install a chair lift should the need arise.

The trailer and RV ideas are also good options. While you are spending a bit more now to be able to move to the future home site, your quality of life will improve dramatically, such that you can focus on making your new home a reality. Plumbing issues aside, if your husband was looking at a building to try to convert into some sort of living quarters, he's probably thinking that the time has come to part ways from the dysfunction at his family's home, where you currently have to pay rent to live in substandard conditions. I think that you both would do well to get out of that environment and establish yourselves in your own home, even if you live in the cottage/garage apartment for a couple of years while you build your own main house, rather than paying rent to live in an environment that does not bring you any happiness.

For some Katrina plans and an adaptable house, check out some of Marianne Cusato's designs: mariannecusato

Good luck with your new house.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for the current situation, other than adding a real bathroom and a kitchenette to the garage loft, which is not something that I would do given the current rental situation from in-laws. Camping gear will help in the short term, I agree with others who have suggested that method, but I'd combine that with an eye to getting to your own property sooner.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would look into getting some structure onto your two-acre property, even if it delays finishing the rest of your house. Have you thought about a modular cottage? Or, even a conventionally built cottage? You could use some of the smaller house plans developed after Katrina that have 1BR with a kitchen area, and a bathroom, which you could always use as a cottage for aged relatives in the future, once your house gets built. It would allow them some independence, and if not used for that purpose, it has the potential to be a source of income if you rented your guest house to a friend. Some of these cottage plans are only 400-500 square feet, so it would be a relatively economical build, especially if you are able to do much of the work yourselves.

The other type of structure I would consider would be a two- or three-car garage with quarters above it, similar to what you have now, but with a real bathroom and kitchen. With a two-car garage, you can find a stock plan that would complement your future home that would have 1BR, a bathroom, kitchen, and living room facilities above the garage. While you are building your house, you could use the garage as a workshop and for storage of expensive materials as they are delivered/brought to the job site, so that things do not get stolen or broken. Someone living on the property, as well, would deter trespassers from doing anything to your under-construction new home. Then, when the house is built, you have a garage for parking and storage, even continued use as a workshop, and the apartment above serving as a potential income unit or guest quarters. Since the apartment would necessitate a stairway, probably not the best option for aged relatives if there were mobility issues, but you could always install a chair lift should the need arise.

The trailer and RV ideas are also good options. While you are spending a bit more now to be able to move to the future home site, your quality of life will improve dramatically, such that you can focus on making your new home a reality. Plumbing issues aside, if your husband was looking at a building to try to convert into some sort of living quarters, he's probably thinking that the time has come to part ways from the dysfunction at his family's home, where you currently have to pay rent to live in substandard conditions. I think that you both would do well to get out of that environment and establish yourselves in your own home, even if you live in the cottage/garage apartment for a couple of years while you build your own main house, rather than paying rent to live in an environment that does not bring you any happiness.

For some Katrina plans and an adaptable house, check out some of Marianne Cusato's designs: mariannecusato

Good luck with your new house.

Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for the current situation, other than adding a real bathroom and a kitchenette to the garage loft, which is not something that I would do given the current rental situation from in-laws. Camping gear will help in the short term, I agree with others who have suggested that method, but I'd combine that with an eye to getting to your own property sooner.
This is a good idea...finding some kind of building to put on the land while you build your house. I know a couple of people who've gotten a really good deal on used portable buildings from schools. That might be something to look into. You'd still have the cost of moving it to your land, but it would possibly be useful in the future, even once the house was built.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:52 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Crazy, i come here for a simple solution for water and i have to defend myself.

The land has electric/septic/well. Its all ready to live on. It is a few blocks away from where we are living now. We have considered buying a trailer but that money could be spent on the house. Not to mention we have more room in the place we are now then to live in a trailer.

Seriously? How the heck is the house we are planning to build a mansion? Did you ever stop to think that we might be wanting children? That our parents might need to live there when they grow older? How about renting to one of our friends? We had all this in mind when thinking about the house.

You need rooms for that.

And since we are building it ourselves, we can make it as big as we want within reason. We can spend more on materials rather then having someone else build it. Its the only way we could get away with building a two bath, three bedroom home. Which, if things get tight, we plan to only build the master bedroom and living room, and then at a later date (when we have kids) build the other side of the house.

Our family makes our volunteer fire department, in fact my husband is now becoming fire chief. We need to live close to the station in order to respond to fires and medicals. We've looked for houses to rent/or buy that are nearby for two years. Every time either it gets snatched from us, or the bank does not approve of the loan. We decided building would be the best choice. One of our volunteers sold his 2 acres to us.

Yes its a hassle not having running water, but filling the jugs and walking to the main house to use the restroom doesn't take up much time. Certainly not to warrant another job (i only get one or two days off a month) Now that i have a solution to the dish issue, i can quickly clean my dishes like any normal person. And i point you to the paragraph above, we cant move unless its nearby.
Ok, thanks for the clarification about your water situation, how do you shower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House