Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 39,412 times

Advertisements

I don't Know if this is a stupid question, but I have no idea who to even begin to ask or call to ask. General contractor? Roofer? Etc? We noticed after we moved in that one spot of our house creeks very badly when it is windy out. Like LOUD, kids hiding in a corner loud. There are no cracks going down the wall, but we've just noticed it's developed cracks between the crown molding and the ceiling. I am almost positive it is newer crown molding that they put in right before we bought it. I know it can just be shoddy work putting up the crown molding, but the only two spots it's cracking is on the exterior wall that is creaking. It is a large vaulted wall. The other side of the wall that faces the interior is not cracked. I will try to attach some pictures. I guess I am honestly terrified that there is something structurally wrong, but would there be any other evidence like cracks going down the wall? I know it's not literally going to (uh, hopefully??), but it sounds like the roof is about to rip off in the storm!
Attached Thumbnails
Loud creaking from ceiling and cracks-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 PM

Large vaulted exterior wall
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
The crack you are seeing, I think, is where they used caulking (or possibly just paint) to hide gaps between the top of the moulding and the ceiling. It's not structural at all, so your walls won't start cracking. It's probably because the ceiling has a textured pattern and isn't a smooth ceiling, so the moulding didn't fit flush against the ceiling - and they hid the gaps with caulking (or paint).

We had issues like this with our house - we even had the exact same pattern on the ceiling that you do. We ended up just removing the moulding totally.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:49 PM

Thanks! Do you think that it's weird though that it is only cracking where we hear the sound coming from?

Old 01-30-2015, 03:52 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Shoddy work.

New home: call the builder !!!

Used home: call your realtor and read your contract because if this was to be repair before closing, then they need to fix it correctly !!!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:54 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Is that the only place in the house that has the moulding? Does the wind hit that side of the house where the window is?

We had a window upstairs that creaked when it was windy. Years of living there we discovered that that window didn't have sufficient caulking and wind actually seeped in from under the trim. I found out when we replaced the trim - caulked it up and no more creaking.

Could be something similar.

All houses move a bit in the wind.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I read an article a few years back on an issue just like this but in Florida. Seems the builders took a shortcut thru the roof framing and there were zero laterals in the trusses and zero end wall bracing at the gables. Not knowing what kind of roof structure you have, I'd certainly check it out or have it checked. Many a roof collapsed during a hurricane in Florida because of it so I wouldn't put this off. You may even need a structural engineer to take a look at it.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Shoddy work.

New home: call the builder !!!

Used home: call your realtor and read your contract because if this was to be repair before closing, then they need to fix it correctly !!!
It's not a new home. There was so evidence of anything to be fixed when we bought the house.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Is that the only place in the house that has the moulding? Does the wind hit that side of the house where the window is?

We had a window upstairs that creaked when it was windy. Years of living there we discovered that that window didn't have sufficient caulking and wind actually seeped in from under the trim. I found out when we replaced the trim - caulked it up and no more creaking.

Could be something similar.

All houses move a bit in the wind.
Yes, this is the only place that has the molding. It's a separate room so we thought it was just decorative, but now we wonder if they're hiding something behind it? And yes the wind hits this wall pretty directly. It's at the back of the house and that room basically sticks out away from the house so 3 walls are exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House