Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,198,344 times

Advertisements

so what's wrong with logs as opposed to lumber?

Just because it's round and still has the bark on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
so what's wrong with logs as opposed to lumber?

Just because it's round and still has the bark on?
Round logs don't shed water as well as squared off ones, but it was faster to build with round logs, as they needed less preparation. Of course, if the logs, regardless of shape, were then covered with clapboard that prevented water exposure, their shape became a moot point.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Alas, those of us who yearn after this potential jewelbox of a town are too late. According to some of the comments on the original story, it sold at auction for $1.9 million last October. Not quite the bargain we thought, but still - not too bad. No word as to what the new owners plan to do with the town.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:56 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
What a beautiful place it COULD be! There's a particular kind of sorrow I feel when I see old ghost towns with once-lovely, functional buildings -- if I were in a position to be a benefactor, I would certainly spend the money to rejuvenate the old rather than construct anything new. And I know I wouldn't be popular, but that's how I feel.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:26 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
It's still an unremarkable budget for housing in the New York suburbs. The average selling price for a single family property in all of Fairfield County, CT, was $785K

Average home prices for Fairfield County towns in 2013 - Property Rounds

Even 1.9 million doesn't buy you much, especially in Manhattan/Brooklyn and the choicer suburbs of Westchester and Connecticut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
$800,000 chump change? I sincerely doubt it.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
What a beautiful place it COULD be! There's a particular kind of sorrow I feel when I see old ghost towns with once-lovely, functional buildings -- if I were in a position to be a benefactor, I would certainly spend the money to rejuvenate the old rather than construct anything new. And I know I wouldn't be popular, but that's how I feel.
I feel the same way. I love older homes with history and hate to see them torn down. People like us should have been born rich so we could preserve these historical places.

I hope the new owners don't tear everything down and put up condo's or something.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
What a cute community. I bet it was really something when it was inhabited. Maybe Nicole Curtis (from Rehab Addict) should be contacted. She likes fixing up old houses. This project should keep her busy for a few years.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:05 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Not worth saving, besides I don't even want to think about the spiders.
Heh. That was my first thought! I don't know how prevalent black widows are in CT, but if that town was here in SC the black widow spiders would have long since taken over that town!!!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I feel the same way. I love older homes with history and hate to see them torn down. People like us should have been born rich so we could preserve these historical places.
I hope the new owners don't tear everything down and put up condo's or something.
^^^Ditto. What a pretty place. Love the stream and the old buildings. If I had Oprah money, I'd
restore it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House