Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 8,344 times

Advertisements

First time homeowner here. Bought a duplex. It's about 6 years old but had a rat problem in the attic about a year ago before the previous owners moved out and sold the property. They have setup rat traps and installed metal mesh at possible entry points. Recently we experienced a breaker tripping and called the electrician. He looked through the wiring in the attic and confirmed it was a short that was tripping the breaker. He reported rat feces in the attic but could not make out whether they were old or new. It could be damage from the previous infestation but I want to be 100% certain. It is also certainly possible that the feces were not cleaned up so they're old.

How do I find out if rats are still up there in the attic? I do here some noises which sound like knocking on wood but I don't think its rats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
I would not rely too much on what the previous owner reported to you about the rats. The infestation may have been recent or ongoing.

First, I would consult with my neighbor in the other unit, if it is occupied. You need to determine whether or not a problem exists in that attic, also. Then, I would have an exterminator examine the property for evidence of rats and/or entry points that need to be sealed. Most companies will not charge for an inspection since they usually find a problem and are hired on the spot to fix it.

Alternatively, you could place fresh bait in the traps yourself (peanut butter is excellent). Fresh droppings are black and moist; older droppings are gray and dried. Don't touch them with your bare hands.

In the evening rats can be heard scampering if it's quiet in the home.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
As said above set 2 or 3 traps with peanut butter bait. You'll know within 24-48 hours if you have any rats.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:15 PM

353 posts, read 604,662 times
Rats are more suspicious than mice, so it may take a little while for them to take the bait.
If you need to buy traps, I HIGHLY recommend this kind. I hate the old wooden ones, these are real easy to bait and set, without the OMG-it's-going-to-shut-on-my-fingers!! factor of the old style.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:27 PM

530 posts, read 667,240 times
The peanut butter tip is an excellent one. Don't buy gourmet - get the cheapest one you can. They LOVE the stuff....

Old 02-03-2015, 05:52 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Rats are more suspicious than mice, so it may take a little while for them to take the bait.
If you need to buy traps, I HIGHLY recommend this kind. I hate the old wooden ones, these are real easy to bait and set, without the OMG-it's-going-to-shut-on-my-fingers!! factor of the old style.
I set one of those plastic jaw traps and an old wooden one next to each other. The plastic one had the bait eaten out of it, the wood one had a dead rat in it.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 PM

353 posts, read 604,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I set one of those plastic jaw traps and an old wooden one next to each other. The plastic one had the bait eaten out of it, the wood one had a dead rat in it.
Wow, that's odd. I wonder how he managed to get the bait out from under the trigger without setting it off? I've never had that happen, and I've been using these daily for years now. I raise chickens and quail and they're a constant magnet for mice and rats. I've been battling them forever years and personally, I've found the plastic jaw traps to be far superior to the wooden ones.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Wow, that's odd. I wonder how he managed to get the bait out from under the trigger without setting it off? I've never had that happen, and I've been using these daily for years now. I raise chickens and quail and they're a constant magnet for mice and rats. I've been battling them forever years and personally, I've found the plastic jaw traps to be far superior to the wooden ones.
Good point. It might have been pure luck in my case as it was one rat and 2 traps. Both Victor brand, one old wood, one new plastic jaw. My only guess is he was able to eat the bait in the plastic trap from above, whereas the wood trap would have snapped on his head from either direction.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:07 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Good point. It might have been pure luck in my case as it was one rat and 2 traps. Both Victor brand, one old wood, one new plastic jaw. My only guess is he was able to eat the bait in the plastic trap from above, whereas the wood trap would have snapped on his head from either direction.
Yes, the rat can either lick the bait or remove it from some jaw-type traps. This is because the load on the spring is not the same on every trap, much like it might require a different amount of trigger pull on the same model rifle or pistol. I have held these traps out and dropped them on concrete without setting them off.

This trap (in the photo above) is popular because the user merely has to push down on a tab to set it. However, unlike the wood and wire trap, there is no way to adjust the pre-set spring load. Most pest control techs will set a hair trigger on the wood and wire trap, but this may be disconcerting for the homeowner to attempt.

To insure success the plastic traps could be tested first with a small stick or a pencil. Or, setting additional traps is a simpler way to overcome a deficiency in a single trap.

Note to the OP: If you decide to handle this yourself be aware that rat mites do exist. You could use a shovel to scoop up the trap and rodent and dispose of same in a plastic bag. Or, if you wish to re-use the trap, try this: place a bread bag over each arm, hold the rodent and roll the bag down to secure it inside. Triple-bag to prevent unpleasant odors emanating from the trash barrel.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 AM

8 posts, read 8,344 times
Thanks for all your input. I did confirm that there are some rats or mice in the attic. I am not sure what they are at this point. I did see that the previous owners block some entrances but I'm not sure if the exterminators did a thorough job and missed some entry / exit point. Also I am not happy with the mesh that they have used. Seems that small mice can easily squeeze through them hence probably the recurrence. The question is, should I directly call exterminators or should I try setting up some traps first? I am inexperienced at this so looking for guidance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House