Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:02 PM

191 posts, read 946,168 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of advertisements for HVAC tune ups and yearly inspections. Are these worth doing? Articles online seem to say yes, but I am not sure how biased they are toward HVAC professional companies. What are your thoughts regarding getting this process done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
You need to keep your coils clean, but you can by a can of coil cleaner almost anywhere and do that yourself. Just follow the instructions on the can. The only other benefit would be to keep you from surprises, like knowing something is going to go out. They also check refirgerant levels.

Best advice, clean your coils every year and have the pro come out every few years to check everything else. Just be selective who you choose. Most companies offer a low price because they are trained to always find something wrong that can be charged for, or sell you $200/lb recharges

Old 02-06-2015, 02:13 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,782 times
Inspections are good, tune ups are bad.

First off, folks that generally offer "tune ups" aren't there to improve performance...they're there to grab low hanging fruit by condemning equipment or upsell unneeded gadgets during a brief visit. An "annual inspection", which all manufacturers require, is simply checking a variety of components, their operation, and the performance of system operation. When I do an annual inspection, I find more performance problems created by a poor install rather than component problems which tells me that the previous "tune up" contractor wasn't really there to identify performance problems at all or offer needed corrections.

An annual furnace inspection should include the following and take 45 min - 1 hr (aside from preliminary conversation and assuming the customers isn't looking over his/her shoulder asking questions).
  • Heat exchanger~ is it cracked, is it clean.
  • Confirm combustion air compliance
  • Gas line~ does it meet code, check gas connections from vale to burner for leaks.
  • Flue~ intact, meets code, doesn't spill flue gas.
  • Does the electrical meet code...fuse size, means of disconnect, etc.
  • Asbestos~ is it's condition safe or should it be abated/incapsulated.
  • Filter~ is it clean, appropriately sized, not allowing duct to bypass, sealed cover.
  • Ductwork~ glaring shortcomings...leakage, too small, etc
  • Pilot~ is it clean, condition of thermocouple/thermopile, Flame signal strength, flame quality.
  • Burners~ are they clean, intact, are nox rods in tact.
  • Drain line for condensing furnaces~ blow out, check pump operations.
  • Hot surface ignitor~ does it have the correct resistance.
  • Motor amp draws w/i spec
  • Motor capacitors w/i spec
  • Temperature rise w/i spec
  • CO production level
  • Blower vibrations
  • External static pressure w/i spec
  • Pressure switchs w/i spec
  • check thermostat operations
Annual A/C inspection should take 45 min to 1 hr.
  • Does electrical meet code and safe to operate
  • Clearances ok?
  • coils cleanliness
  • Inspect contactor contacts
  • look for burned wires
  • Check capacitor
  • Check motor and compressor amps
  • check temp drop, pressures, superheat, subcooling, indoor wb and compare to specs
  • check for vibrations
  • check external static pressure
  • check condensate drain.
  • check thermostat operations
  • inspect piping insulation
  • Check indoor blower operation
  • check filter as above

HVAC contractors exist for the same reason all companies exist, to make money. Figure an hourly rate of $75-150 an hour depending on your area, x 1.5 hours= cost for visit. Unfortuntely, too many contractors use the tune up gimmick to lighten customer's wallets to cover the low lost leader tune up price. Most common gimmicks tune up companies sell to make money? duct cleaning, surge protectors, uv lights, High efficiency 1'' filters w/ high pressure drops.

"Tune ups" usually fit into the category of making the problem fit the solution.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
I always had my AC tuned up for about $59 - $79. It was still going strong after 20+ years.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Being as many HVAC people are out and out crooks, I would not advise calling them for anything unless something is broken or you know they can be trusted (via references / recommendations from friends).

Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
With an average service life of 15~20 years (I just lost a 22y/o unit and went through 5 installation inspection/quotes, everyone said the same thing), I'm simply going to clean the coils myself, stay on top of the filters (this was the reason my unit died, clogged coils caused the blower to die) and call if there are issues. Given that a 22y/o unit was doing just fine with heating/cooling the house, electrical bill was lower than most others in my area AND doing that while old/clogged with apparently a really low charge, I'm now firmly in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" frame of mind.

As a motorcycle mechanic, I can ALWAYS find something that Honestly, by the book and experience, should be addressed with any bike I see. Meanwhile, those motorcycles just keep on rolling down the road, minimal care (or none)... while not getting the absolute Best performance they function. Seems like HVAC systems are the same way.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Being as many HVAC people are out and out crooks, I would not advise calling them for anything unless something is broken or you know they can be trusted (via references / recommendations from friends).
How are we ever surviving, what with all the crooks in the world today.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I've been in the HVAC trade for over 25 years and can count the good people I've met in the trade on one hand. Your right about recommendations. I quit advertising 5 or so years ago, the quality of my customers went way up.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I use a national company and take advantage of their spring offerings for like $60. The tech has always done a good job. I ask for the same tech each year. Part of his job is to give a written upsell but I just smile and say no thank you.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
no, it just a way to generate income doing slow time of year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House