Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 10:59 PM

922 posts, read 1,110,536 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question so please let me know if it isn't and I'll move it. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how much it would cost per square foot to build a home in southern CA, namely San Bernardino, Los Angeles or Riverside counties. Does anyone have any experience building a home in these areas? I'm not talking about buying into a development, I'm talking about buying a piece of land and designing and building a house independently. Any information is helping, TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Consult with an architect. Your post is far to vague for anybody to give you any sort of response.

Some factors that will have an impact on $/sq ft include the size you are considering, finishes, utility hookups, # of stories, etc.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:34 PM

511 posts, read 508,456 times
$120 a square foot or so. I live in Northern California and my husband is a Contractor.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM

621 posts, read 1,122,771 times
For a ball park on an ordinary home google "ICC, Building valuation determination".

Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Using NBCE (National Building Cost Estimator) and assuming a plain-Jane 4-corner house on a slab...

Just under $100sq/ft. That's GC profit, insurances, interest, permits, etc. Figure $125-150 if in an area with restrictive earthquake code modifiers.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Beyond just the obvious type of construction, mechanical, fixture, finish choices and building design complexity, size (larger=less $/s.f.), the code requirements in those areas also vary wildly; most anyplace in California is going to require very robust structural/shear requirements (state codes), increasingly, many areas will also be in severe fire hazard areas which overlay a whole other layer of design and material requirements that affect cost. Generally, building codes and therefore cost is more stringent in individual cities than in unincorporated areas.

Another component that many might overlook yet is among the most determinative in building cost is site development and conditions; a large flat lot on stable, native soil with high gravel content, no large rocks or mature trees on city services with excellent access for construction/materials is going to be way less expensive than a tight urban lot on a steep hillside of landfill materials, mature trees with little parking or access.

Good luck getting anything built for under $200/s.f. in the more urban areas (unless it is a very large house, or has the absolute perfect site I describe), some developers can slap up some cheap cracker boxes for less than that in this state but it isn't anything I would want to spend any time in much less buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House