Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,025,586 times

Advertisements

Yep, we have one. When remodeling our basement, which also houses the master suite, we built a large walk in closet for clothes, and a smaller, sort of walk in, under the stairs just for boots and shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,959,932 times
Our master suite has 7 closets, so I have one dedicated entirely to my shoes. It helps make it easy to see everything I have and it looks organized. Plus I really have no idea what else we would put in that closet anyway. If you have the space for it, why not?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,886,891 times
Hmm, I wonder if there's any way to make them a decorative display? If you like boots that much, maybe you could have them somewhere you can look at them and then decide which ones to use. Sort of like how decorative serving dishes are kept out to be looked at when they aren't in use? Not sure how it would actually work, though.

Another option would be to break up your collection by use and store them in different places according to use. Work boots in one area such as the mud room, dressy boots in the bedroom closet, retired boots on a display shelf to be looked at, etc.

If you had a bit of oddball wall - maybe the side of a staircase or some such place, then you could put small boot sized shelves scattered across it in a nice pattern and put a pair of boots on each shelf. Maybe put some dried flowers or bandannas or something in them to add to the decorative theme.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:00 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,500,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, boots and shoes I suppose, but in my case, it is mostly boots.

My boots (western) are all over the place. There's a pair at the cobbler's being heeled and toed. There's another pair on back up duty in the Forester, I suppose another set in the F250. I know there is at least one pair in the second apartment. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen either pair (brown, black) slouch boots for months.

Tonight, as I was looking in haste for a change of boots from Monday, I couldn't find any. Took a look in the main apartment closet where they normally rest on pine cross boards, but the selection was very dismal, not really a ready pair to go.........so I'm wearing Monday's boots again.

As I dream about how to build my ranch home, I'm thinking maybe I need a narrow folding door closet, dedicated to boots.

Leave the abnormal psychology out of it. When it comes to western boots, some of us just have a Stevie Nicks mentality about these things............................bunches.
Yes, I'd have a closet full of shoes. All kind of shoes.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,048,381 times
I am in the process of having a self-designed closet system installed (as in the handyman is here right now doing it!)

I am using Ikea Billy bookcases for my shoes.
BILLY Bookcase - birch veneer - IKEA

I like the narrower cases because each shelf can hold 2 pairs of shoes, and you can customize the height of the shelves, so I can have higher compartments for boots and booties and smaller ones for shoes. These shelves are only 11 inches deep, so would be kind of a waste to use an entire closet for them but they are on the wall opposite hanging rods in a fairly narrow walk in closet.

I think the concept of organizing and consolidating shoes makes sense, as long as you are going to actually put them away after they are worn each time. If they end up migrating all over the house, then there's no point in wasting the closet space.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:38 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,345,296 times
How about an entire room dedicated to gift wrapping? I know somebody with one.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,167,360 times
Why don't you just keep your boots in one location? I have at least 15 pairs of boots because that's primarily what I wear(and because I have a problem) but I don't have any dedicated storage for them, I just put them back where they belong.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,044,300 times
Is this thread just an excuse to talk about your excessive boot collection? No. I would not have a dedicated boot closet. We keep the shoes we wear to work every day in the downstairs coat closet and all other in our master closet.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,362,924 times
Gotcha beat, Cowgirl! I'm at 20 pairs and counting. I found a very cool display type bookcase with tall shelves. I have 12 pairs on it with my cowgirl hats on the top two shelves. My work boots stay outside in the mudroom, another pair is in the shed, another pair lives in my truck in case I need to go dancin', a pair is getting resoled, and I have two pairs at my kids house in Hawaii. Two more pairs are in the closet or underneath my coffee table. My little dog likes to sleep in the slouch boots, so those are on their side next to the couch.

@Kibbiecat - of course it is. Ain't life grand!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,337,656 times
i usually just leave them in the living room floor, but a closet just for boot, yea, that be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House