Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used this stuff? We are selling our house and the realtor suggested that we put some crown moulding in our bathroom to mask where the edging isn't great with the paint. We are not exactly great at do-it-yourself projects and I don't want to put too much into the house when we probably won't get the asking price b/c of the sucky market. I found this stuff on the internet last night and it sounds good to me. It is more flexible and can be cut with scissors and self sticks to the wall.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
My first reaction to that is...no. Something that you cut with scissors and stick to the wall doesn't sound like crown molding, it sounds cheap and tacky (forgive the pun). Before I'd do anything like that, I'd fix the paint instead. If you don't want to fix the paint, do real crown molding.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
If you get those decorative blocks and put them in the corners putting up crown molding isn't hard to do at all. Using that plastic/foam stuff from the big box hardware stores would be cheap and easy. The only supplies you'd need would be an inexpensive saw & miter box, (you can probably get both for about $10), a hammer, small nails, a bit a caulk to patch any holes and gaps, and paint. Depending on the size of the bathroom and how fancy you go with the molding and paint you could do the job for under $50.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
If you get those decorative blocks and put them in the corners putting up crown molding isn't hard to do at all. Using that plastic/foam stuff from the big box hardware stores would be cheap and easy. The only supplies you'd need would be an inexpensive saw & miter box, (you can probably get both for about $10), a hammer, small nails, a bit a caulk to patch any holes and gaps, and paint. Depending on the size of the bathroom and how fancy you go with the molding and paint you could do the job for under $50.
I totally agree! I have not used them before but my cousin did. they have the blocks in the crown molding section of the hardware store. they should fit perfectly so you only need to do straight cuts. It also makes it look more custom. If you do white and have a small oops gap you can easily fill it with caulk. I plan on using those for our master bedroom. You can easily increase the WOW factor. Also if you need to sell fast it is much cheaper in the long run to spend some money and time updating in this market. IMHO

Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
This is a very doable solution, but if you can't find the corner blocks do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to install Crown molding by yourself if you have to miter the corners. It is not a project for someone who is not handy. If you want to try a different molding that goes flat against the wall, like basecap or Howe casing, go ahead because the miters on those are simple, or you could cope the corners, but crown takes practice.
An easier project might be to put a wallpaper border up, but the most cost-effective solution would be to get an edger and just repaint the top of the wall.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
This is a very doable solution, but if you can't find the corner blocks do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to install Crown molding by yourself if you have to miter the corners. <snippage>.
Really? Good thing I didn't know that when I did mine.

(Truly, it's pretty easy. A gauge, a compound miter saw, and DIYnet. *shrug* I didn't have any problem with it at all)

Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 PM

every home depot and lowes I have been in has them. Crown is a little difficult if you've never done it before. Only for the mitering though. everything else is a snap. that is why the corner blocks are getting more popular.

Remodeling : Crown Molding with Corner Blocks : Home & Garden Television (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/article/0,,HGTV_3659_1772636,00.html - broken link)

Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Has anyone used this stuff? We are selling our house and the realtor suggested that we put some crown moulding in our bathroom to mask where the edging isn't great with the paint. We are not exactly great at do-it-yourself projects and I don't want to put too much into the house when we probably won't get the asking price b/c of the sucky market. I found this stuff on the internet last night and it sounds good to me. It is more flexible and can be cut with scissors and self sticks to the wall.

Any thoughts?
I haven't used it, but I'd be hesitant to put it in a bathroom where it gets steamy/damp - I'd be afraid the adhesive wouldn't hold up.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Really? Good thing I didn't know that when I did mine.

(Truly, it's pretty easy. A gauge, a compound miter saw, and DIYnet. *shrug* I didn't have any problem with it at all)
Yes, but Austinsmom said that she is not good at DIY projects and is doing this because she has to cover the uneven paint at the top of the wall. I would be willing to wager that she doesn't have a compound miter saw.

I have renovated 15 houses, and I have more power tools than your average girl (3 compound miter saws, two table saws, etc.) and you and I can install crown but you have to admit that it isn't something that someone who professes to be "not handy" needs to be doing. I always encourage people to start with simpler projects (like chair rail) and work up their confidence.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Yes, but Austinsmom said that she is not good at DIY projects and is doing this because she has to cover the uneven paint at the top of the wall. I would be willing to wager that she doesn't have a compound miter saw.

I have renovated 15 houses, and I have more power tools than your average girl (3 compound miter saws, two table saws, etc.) and you and I can install crown but you have to admit that it isn't something that someone who professes to be "not handy" needs to be doing. I always encourage people to start with simpler projects (like chair rail) and work up their confidence.

I agree to a point. With the right tools (as you know) and if she can find someone to help her she can do it. but a long shot. My husband isnt "handy" at all. My cousin started showing him how to do a couple of small things on her compound miter saw and he started whipping out all kinds of stuff. anyway. that is a rarity, i'm sure. I was at my lowes last night for a sink faucet and glanced at the crown molding section and they had 3-4 different types of blocks. I highly suggest this. Your average buyer these days isnt into walpaper boarder. It wont cause any type of wow factor. plus with the blocks all you are talking about is straight cuts. also, some of the hardware stores will cut wood for you. that makes it easier. I dont know if there is an extra charge though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House