Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...you might have demodex mites. There are two types: longer kind, that lives in the hair follicles, and short ones, which live in the sebaceous glands. The mites are invisible to the naked eye...

I agree. Back in the 1970s I had this and the itching almost drove me crazy. As I recall, the doctor gave me a cream that killed them. Apparently, we all have demodex mites on our skin -- under normal circumstances they dont cause any problem, but, if someone is under stress or has a compromised immune system, the number of mites can increase dramatically, resulting in itching and/or other skin conditions.

Here's an excerpt of what one website says about demodex:

These mites are found in the human hair follicles, normally found in greater numbers around the cheeks, nose, eyebrows, eyelashes, and forehead. They could also be found in other parts of the body such as arms, chest, and ears...During the day, they feed on dead skin cells within hair follicles. At night, they emerge onto the surface to mate and lay eggs in hair follicles...

...Almost everyone has a certain degree of the Demodex mite on his or her skin...30% of people up to the age of 50 have mites...Hair follicles in all adults are infested, but the distribution of mites varies, which has a different impact on each person. Men are often more likely to be infested by mites than women because they have more sebaceous glands, thus producing more food for the mites.

Demodex folliculorum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:46 PM

14,224 posts, read 14,642,943 times
OK..so if I am over 50 and my girl friend is under 35...can I expect to get "mites" from her....LOL

Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,358,294 times
LOL. There were different percentages for different age groups. And, yes, I think there's a chance that the mites can travel to or from someone to whom you're very close, especially if you share a bed at night. My husband had them first and I got them a couple of weeks later. My kids never got them.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
OK..so if I am over 50 and my girl friend is under 35...can I expect to get "mites" from her....LOL
Now you're just bragging.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 465 times
I am being bitten at night. Can feel them crawling in my back. Have not been able to sleep for two days. Changed from master bedroom to guest bedroom and I have been sleeping. I killed a tiny black bug that was crawling on my back. Bed bugs or mites.Washed sheets and quilts in hot water and dried in hot dryer after keeping in closed plastic bag for a week. Can anyone give me some advice. Thanks

Old 03-24-2018, 01:07 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,897,260 times
Well, bed bugs are a whole thing in themselves. I was hoping the original poster would say what they turned out to be.

Mites now accumulate in mattresses and pillows. It is said that a mattress is heavier after a few years because of them. Have not tested it.

Also, there are normal mites on eyebrows, eyelashes. And in times of extreme extreme stress they can multiply and you feel them more where you don't really usually think about them on eyelashes and eyebrows otherwise.

The black bug sounds like bed bugs. But they are not microscopic so you can see them and can catch them if you watch and look at night. Then you need to have it looked at and then get the room/house treated.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 PM

17,318 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Lice doesn't discriminate biting at night or during the day once they are on your body. I would suggest have your alarm wake you up at 2 a.m. and look carefully all over your bed and see what you find.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,681,366 times
Lice? Lice do hair. Find a medicated shampoo - I'm sure there's research out there.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,681,366 times
Whatever bug it is - Get one of those foggers they sell in the pesticides isle at the grocery store. They kill bugs in one room. You can treat your whole house or just the bedroom. Be sure to turn off your gas in your house and let your house sit for a few hours - When you return open windows.

Do you have pets? Did you pick up fleas?
It's spring, bugs are out. It's not something like poison ivy? Itchy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House