Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,110,542 times

Advertisements

Hey there, working with an installer experienced in installing carrier, heil, and goodman systems.

I'm looking at a 3.5ton furnace and AC installation for a 2440sq ft split level ranch to replace a system that I suspect was installed when I started elementary school and is just way underpowered anyway.

the heil will run me 5500 total

the carrier 6100 total

the goodman 5200 total

So not much of a price deviation between them, but I want to stick with what he's used to installing; anyone recommend any of the makes or discourage any based on personal experience?

Help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,852,102 times
I can only assume the option of "none of the above" fits here. Goodman is cheap crap and that's a compliment. I've had nothing but issues with Carrier units, in particular, fan motors on the air handler and condenser. I don't have Heil in my area. We use primarily Ruud and Trane.
Unless you are in an area of not having a need for any amount of A/C, 3.5 tons for 2400 sq ft is stretching it. A 4 ton unit as absolute smallest around here and that includes an energy package of R30 insulation, radiant barrier, and low E windows.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:34 PM

7,320 posts, read 12,276,308 times
Are the SEER ratings on the three AC units the same? Are the AFUE ratings on the furnaces the same?

When buying a Goodman system, I normally recommend doing research on the contractor first, since Goodman has a very open sales policy that almost anyone can buy and install their units. Carrier, on the other hand, only sells its units to its authorized dealers, and the training required for contractors to become an authorized Carrier dealer isn't easy. However, since you appear to be using a single contractor, the decision is a bit hard without knowing the efficiencies of the systems.

Goodman is fine if the efficiency of the system is comparable to the other two.

Heil is manufactured by Carrier subsidiary International Comfort Products, who also makes a few other low cost off-brands as well as the Kenmore units sold at Sears.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 AM

621 posts, read 1,117,450 times
Installing the best equipment poorly or incompatible with the load/ductwork will give ANY manufacturer a black eye.

A Manual J load calculation will determine the capacity required to keep the space comfortable. If your contractor can't provide a manual J, don't accept any excuses...you're working with the wrong guy. Equipment capacity declines if the indoor temp is kept below 80° or the outdoor temp is above 95° and needs to be accounted for when sizing equipment. If you increase capacity, and you're ductwork isn't already undersized, it probably will be...undermining capacity/efficiency and shortening the equipment's lifespan. Duct leakage and undersized filters are other items commonly seen that can significantly impact capacity, efficiency, and performance negatively that should be corrected.

Though I'm of the belief that all Mfgs do a lot right and a little wrong, I prefer Carrier to all other brands. Why? it installs well, few warranty calls on new equipment, holds up well, and repairs down the road will be easy (affordable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House