U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:17 AM

8,977 posts, read 8,112,623 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering how many people have changed their land line service to Voip (over the Internet), and if you have which one and how much does it cost?

We and our son both switched to netTalk, and it only costs us $39.95 a year for unlimited calling anywhere in the U.S. and no cost for long distance, or other services it offers. Can be used as a fax line. Nice to be able to have a separate fax line for only $3.33 per month paid annually. Wish it was that cheap in our business before I retired.

It is a little box you plug into your earth net connection on the modem, and then plug your phone into that box instead of the phone wall jack. You can buy it from Walmart as we did, so if it does not work like you want it you can get your money back.

Bought our sons for a Christmas present, and it worked so well we switched a month ago. Works perfect, includes 911 service, and about all the other features the phone company offers. We should have done this a few years ago.

Paid $43 for the connection box, which includes 1 years service and only costs $39.95 each year after that. A long way from the $48 plus long distance we used to pay. Our kids, and friends tell us, that it sounds better on their end than our old high priced landline. There is a $4.95 per year charge for taxes to the government, but that is a lot less than the monthly taxes used to be.

If you have switched, which one and what does it cost? Tell us your experience with it.

You can get a number for your home town, or for any area of the country. Hint: We have to dial the 1 plus area code even for local calls. But for the savings, I will dial those extra four numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 AM

39,487 posts, read 40,805,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

It is a little box you plug into your earth net connection on the modem, and then plug your phone into that box instead of the phone wall jack.
This is going to differ depending how it was set up but there is probably a box that feeds all the phone jacks. Disconnect the old phone line where it comes into the house at that box. Connect the new box where the old phone line went. Alternatively you should be able to plug the box directly into any of the phone jacks which will feed the rest of the jacks in the house, I'm pretty sure you still need to disconnect it from the street.
Quote:
You can get a number for your home town,
You should be able to keep your old phone number.

Quote:
We have to dial the 1 plus area code even for local calls. But for the savings, I will dial those extra four numbers.
It's the exact opposite here, they just added a new area code that overlays the old one. For regular phone service you need dial the area code, for whatever reason I don't need to do that with the VOIP. I'm assuming Comcast is just prefixing the area code if not given. You may want to check your phone becsue it may have this feature.

I'm paying $20 a month with Comcast VOIP but I'm thinking of switching.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
We use magic Jack just because we have had it for 7+ years. We also had a land line, but we ditched it last year and ported the number. We pay $100 for 5 years service, so we're all set until 2018.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,960,311 times
I've got magic jack for the home office fax line, but dropped the home landline because we just use our cells, and all we were getting on the home line was telemarketer calls constantly.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM

2,080 posts, read 5,339,756 times
I use Tmobile for cell phone service (postpaid) and use wifi for the calls when at home. No need for Landline and no fees on top of what I pay for the cellular plan ($45/mo for unlimited US calls, text & 2 GB data)

Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 PM

983 posts, read 785,005 times
I switched my old land line phone number to a 2nd cell phone when I bought my new house a few years ago.

Too many people knew the old number and I like the 2 cell phones as it gives me a back up incase of dead battery etc ...

Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,833,380 times
We have two VOIP numbers, one through Google Voice and one through Phone Power. Phone Power is .. crap, I forget exactly ... something like $60 annually unlimited. Google Voice is free, but they keep threatening not to support the OBI gateway, which is what we use. So we have an Arizona number and a Delaware number.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM

578 posts, read 1,051,463 times
Yes we did.. in that the Comcast Internet and TV bundle includes a phone line which is VOIP. I believe there are millions doing this now. We had this for several years in the old house.

But the truth is since moving last year and losing our phone number, we never bothered to plug a phone into the new setup... so we've are running only with cell phones and have no regrets so far.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,836,225 times
No, use the landline. Part of it is security, if the power goes out the landlines still work.

The other part (not having to do with VOIP) is I don't like having my cell phone attached to me like an umbilical in the house. Most days I walk in and leave it in a little basket by the door.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:41 PM

952 posts, read 1,781,521 times
I've been with various VOIP providers since 2002, dropped Comcast triple-play last year. Now I just use skype and pay for what I need. No physical # for personal communication. When I had a physical phone # I used to get more spam/robo/wrong calls than calls I was actually interested in taking. I do get into some odd situations where someone wants a phone # and I can't give it to them, but so far so good..... For 911 and work related I have a cell phone. That number is given to very few people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House