Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:36 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,801,320 times

Advertisements

Please do not put drano or liquid plumber down any drains where the water can back up and splash you or come up and burn you. Use the old fashion way before the chemicals were introduced and that is a box of baking powder and lots of vinegar let it bubble and eat and loosen the crud then plunge the drain you will be amazed at what comes back up especially in a kitchen or bathroom sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:53 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,236,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
I repeat. The only way sewer gas can enter through a sink is if:
1) There is no trap
2) The trap is dry
3) There is a problem with the vent and usually that would be a vent under the counter. A clogged through-the-roof vent will cause a slow running drain and in the case of a double sink, will pull the water out of the other trap.
It's not necessarily sewer gas. Stuff gets trapped in there and the bacteria from that smells like sewer gas. Could be like you sid, but mine was the latter, and I "fixed" it by following a plumber's advice on YouTube by pouring Liquid Plumber Gel in the drain a couple of times.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,704,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Please do not put drano or liquid plumber down any drains where the water can back up and splash you or come up and burn you. Use the old fashion way before the chemicals were introduced and that is a box of baking powder and lots of vinegar let it bubble and eat and loosen the crud then plunge the drain you will be amazed at what comes back up especially in a kitchen or bathroom sink.

That's how I keep my disposal from smelling. I do the vinegar and baking soda treatment once a month.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:00 PM

174 posts, read 968,215 times
I have been using a product called Glisten Disposer Care once a week in my disposer. I use it once a week and seems to do a good job on cleaning and keeping the disposer fresh smelling.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:59 AM

40 posts, read 45,691 times
Thanks everyone for the replies and tips. I knew I could count on city-data. I will just buy Glisten Disposer Care at walmart and use that once a week as suggested.

Thanks again

Old 08-14-2015, 08:40 PM

645 posts, read 701,130 times
my kitchen sink got some stain that's hard to clean off around the corner, probably accumulation of hard water and food stain drying off day after day. what's a good scrub or cleaning spray to use for those?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,041,392 times
It happened to my dad when his pipe collapsed. It was part of the big lawsuit against a certain pipe company.

For routine odors, I just run bleach down the drain along with hot water.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:16 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,826,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
my kitchen sink got some stain that's hard to clean off around the corner, probably accumulation of hard water and food stain drying off day after day. what's a good scrub or cleaning spray to use for those?
Most sink materials shouldn't hold a stain. Is it possible that you have an old porcelain enamel over cast iron sink, and the porcelain is wearing off? If that happens it can get stained. A weak acid will clean it off, but to fix the problem you have to replace the sink.

There is some product they sell at the big box stores that is a combination of a weak acid and nylon scrubber, for temporarily making stained sinks look better. It comes in a tall box with a square cross-section. I couldn't find it online, otherwise I'd have posted a link.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:56 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,919,586 times
You don't have to pour bleach into the sink to kill the smell. Just turn the water to a trickle on one side of the sink, then pour in about a cup of baking soda, followed by a cup of vinegar. Then do the same with the other side of the sink. If you want an easier way to do this, buy some of the numerous garbage disposal disinfecting pads sold at the stores in town.

Now, more than likely the OP is referring to "sewer smell." This smell is present for the following reasons:

a. The sink's trap, or another trap (s) around the house, is dry. In this case, if the kitchen fan or any other fans, clothes dryer, boiler, AC (any appliance that vents air out of the house) is turned on, the sewer gas is pulled into the kitchen, or any other place around the house where one of the traps is dry.

b. When the drain vent pipes are blocked. The drain pipes throughout the house are supposed to be vented outdoors via pipes that are routed through the attic and roof. If such vents are omitted by the plumbers during construction of the house, sewer gas can be present in the house.

Finally, if a negative air pressure (more air vented out of the house than air coming into the house) is present in the house when all the doors and windows are closed, sewer gas will be pulled out the sinks or floor drains once one of the traps is dry.

There are numerous articles and videos, some in "youtube.com," that point at the causes of sewer gas in one's home.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-15-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,598,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjones View Post
I was only advised to leave a couple of chopped lemon in the sink with the garbage disposal drainage.
Have the garbage disposal removed and stop putting food down your drain. The smell will go away immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House