Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,931,646 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had a lady bug infestation before? We had a huge swarm of them outside this time last year, and there were thousands of them on the siding. We had some walking inside through the door and window cracks last year.

Fast forward to this year... We haven't had a lady bug swarm outside again, but we have 2-3 lady bugs in every room of the house near the windows. I'm guessing they got in the walls last year, and they're hatching or whatever they do now that it's warm. I'm glad it's lady bugs because they are harmless, but I'm tired of vacuuming up their little carcasses. We've always had a bug spray service, but that's for crawling insects and spiders. We vacuum the lady bugs, and there is a new pair the next day... Every day.

I'm curious, have lady bugs invaded anyone else's house before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:38 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,087,419 times
Yes! For the first time in 37 years of living in the middle of a pecan orchard, the lady bug infestations started 3 years ago. Ag extension advised this is because they are there to eat the aphids in the orchard. I hate them because they stink and they bite.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,931,646 times
They bite? I usually pick them up and squish them or throw them in the toilet. I've never been bitten that I know of.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Has anyone else had a lady bug infestation before? We had a huge swarm of them outside this time last year, and there were thousands of them on the siding. We had some walking inside through the door and window cracks last year.

Fast forward to this year... We haven't had a lady bug swarm outside again, but we have 2-3 lady bugs in every room of the house near the windows. I'm guessing they got in the walls last year, and they're hatching or whatever they do now that it's warm. I'm glad it's lady bugs because they are harmless, but I'm tired of vacuuming up their little carcasses. We've always had a bug spray service, but that's for crawling insects and spiders. We vacuum the lady bugs, and there is a new pair the next day... Every day.

Not yet but it will be here soon enough and they are not lady bugs they are japanese beetles.
Not so bad overall until the dog lays in the pile of dead ones and smushes them then stinks like the beetles.
Also, when you have a big pile of them to suck up in the sweeper, they sound all crunchy.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,789,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not yet but it will be here soon enough and they are not lady bugs they are japanese beetles.
Not so bad overall until the dog lays in the pile of dead ones and smushes them then stinks like the beetles.
Also, when you have a big pile of them to suck up in the sweeper, they sound all crunchy.
are u talking abt the stupid stink bugs they everywere!!! vacumming them is a waste of time and there horrible

Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 PM

15,104 posts, read 27,550,358 times
I heard several years ago about infestations of Asian beetles (I think that's what they are called?) - they look almost exactly like ladybugs but they do bite - you might want to check into that - good luck!

Found this: http://www.wsmv.com/story/23836001/l...ddle-tennessee

Old 03-15-2015, 12:38 PM

13,046 posts, read 20,708,179 times
Are you sure it's a "Lady Bug" and not the "Asian Lady Beetle"? They look identical but one is a beneficial insect (Lady Bug) and one is an invasive pest (Asian Lady Beetle). The main differences is the body of the Asian Lady Beetle is more red to orange while the Lady Bug is red. They also say the head is the main indicator but I've had problems telling them apart when the body is red and the head colors meld together. The head of the Asian Lady Beetle is white with black markings and the Lady Bug is Black with some white markings, but again they can seem similar.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:09 PM

268 posts, read 354,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post

Take advantage of that and start a vegetable garden!
Your lucky! Folks with gardens pay to have ladybugs shipped to them to control pests.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:15 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Are you sure it's a "Lady Bug" and not the "Asian Lady Beetle"? They look identical but one is a beneficial insect (Lady Bug) and one is an invasive pest (Asian Lady Beetle). The main differences is the body of the Asian Lady Beetle is more red to orange while the Lady Bug is red. They also say the head is the main indicator but I've had problems telling them apart when the body is red and the head colors meld together. The head of the Asian Lady Beetle is white with black markings and the Lady Bug is Black with some white markings, but again they can seem similar.
In Michigan they cross bred.

In time they went back being more ladybug than beetle.......that made them not stink as much and easier to kill.

It took about five years.

Yes........the beetles bite.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:40 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,694,833 times
This started up here a few years ago. Supposedly they are an Asian breed that are mre invasive and less hardy than the domestic ones that stay out of the home.

In the fall you can barely see out of the windows of our workshop. If there's a pinhole in the armor of a building they will find it. When winter comes and they die in the unheated shop we vacuum them all up.

In the house they will congregate in the corners of the ceilings in the warmest room of the house. I vacuum them up.

And, yes they do bite. Since it started warming up I had one in the bedroom and the little bastidge bit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House