Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times

Advertisements

Last year, I watched a tip on one of the home/garden channels (probably HGTV or TLC party diva or something like that) where the host used a push light in a pot and did something with the plant. I just remember it looked really cool and I had a mental note : I gotta try that. Now I can't remember exactly how it was set up.

The type of push light is something similar to the one I attached to this post. I can't figure out how to arrange the plant for this to work. I remember that you use the push light in the center and then do something with the plant so that it gives it a really awesome look and the onlooker can't really tell exactly the source of the light. My question is what type of plant do I need to get? How am I to arrange the plant for this project to work?

Does anyone remember this tip?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
using push light with potted plant as a party decoration-pushlight.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Sorry I didn't see that segment. Sounds interesting!

Altho this is not what you asked . . . we have used "can lights" - freestanding - to "back light" some of our plants in our house. We have various large plants in corners and the can light just sits behind them.

I would think the "push light" you are talking about . . . you would need a smaller one than the one pictured . . . and place it in a pot in the center, perhaps surrounded by moss . . . use florist's styrofoam . . . and simply do your arrangement around the light. I don't think cut flowers would hold up well w/ the minimal heat from the small push light, but I could be wrong. I would think woody branches and large leaves - such as magnolia - would do well in this type of arrangement. Put the leaves on the outside edges of the container or they would block out the light!!! Then build up w/ something more fringy - I would think you would want multiple layers of heights and textures . . . then some branches or maybe a few calla lilies . . . ????

Now you have me wanting to experiment, LOL. Maybe someone else will post who actually saw this segment on TV!!!!

Good luck!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM

182 posts, read 701,922 times
Saw that same segment and bookmarked it shortly thereafter. Here ya go . . .

LowesCreativeIdeas.com :: Light Fantastic

Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Default Katey_Kate!

Thank you so much for posting this info! I was very curious about this! I really appreciate your posting the picture and directions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House