Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:59 PM

436 posts, read 420,704 times

Advertisements

We have 3.5 kids now and right now we're in a 4 bedroom house, plus a "nursery" we've created out of a very large walk-in closet. We also have a finished basement which is right now being turned into a guest room / man-cave combination. At this point, everyone in the house gets a room except for me. My husband says "every room in the house is mine" because I picked out furniture etc for it, but it's still not the same as having a space of my own. At the least I would use an office space. I think when this baby is ready to move out of the nursery, I'll turn that into my office, have the two younger kids share the large bedroom (it's the size of our master bedroom, but without a bathroom) and then have the two older kids take a smaller bedroom each.

If we do end up moving, I wouldn't mind the size of the house so much as the layout and the property it's set upon. To me, five or six cramped bedrooms is less ideal than a house where there is a living room, dining room, maybe a large sun porch, a deck, a backyard, some privacy, a closed kitchen, ample storage... etc.

If we're talking about IDEAL numbers, though, I guess one room per child, with connecting bathrooms would be nice, plus the master. (Although I personally hate the idea of a bathroom connecting to a bedroom, it seems so silly to me.) Then a man-cave area and an office area for me - although that's really going up in numbers. I doubt I'll ever own a seven bedroom house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I grew up with my parents, 9 kids, and a grandparent in a house with only 4 bedrooms, and before that when there were only 5 kids, we had two bedrooms. I vowed not to do that to my kids. We have 3, and when we moved here we bought a house with 6 bedrooms. We used one as a sewing room, another as a playroom. Now they are grown and on their own, we sometimes fill them up with out of town/state guests at the holidays. Ideally I would say one for each kid plus one guest room would be enough for most people.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
We have a 4 bedroom house. The kids have their own room. The girls shared when they were younger and we had a smaller home. Now we have a big house with plenty of space

Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Grew up in 800sq ft, 2 adults 2 kids 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom. Have lived in a range of different size homes and apartments and never really found a lack of space.
Now we are semi-retired, this is our last home and has 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom. It is more important that the living room, dining room and kitchen are a good size as we rarely have overnight visitors.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
One couple, no kids and 3 BR/3BA. Two bedrooms on the main level share a bath with another bath by the kitchen utility porch- I keep different hours and snore so am often in the 2nd.

The lower level has a small bedroom (about 9' x 11') with ensuite that is set up like a ship's cabin. Designed by me with all custom built-in furniture it features; a raised captain's bed with deep storage drawers under, connected side table and shelves, a bench/suitcase platform, desk with upper and lower shelves and cabinets and a closet covered with sail cloth- it was the only way to fit all that in the small space. As such it works for my day to day home office and nice afternoon nap room or as a ready guest room. The adjoining den with similar built-ins, fireplace and wet bar with fridge and French doors out to the garden is the TV room for us or becomes part of the guest suite if necessary with additional sleeping available and the ability to shut it out from the main level. We just hosted my brother, SIL and nephew for four days and splitting up the levels that way works like a charm for a compact (1,800 SF) house. We are able to host frequent guests with minimal disruption and decent privacy for all with this set up.

I would never be interested in any more bedrooms, can't really stand the typical oversized master and a bunch of tiny, plain kids rooms all together layout; but of course we don't have kids- two, real nice bedrooms, not oversized, and a flexible guest room/office is perfect for us. Although most would never consider it today, the family that we bought the house from (with 1.5 less baths and one less room) raised five kids over 20 years here, so, a total of seven in 1550 SF and 1.5 baths. Old school style!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I grew up in a 3/1 (2 adults, 2 kids) and my first house was a 3/1. I moved up to a 3/2 (2 adults, 2 kids) and never wanted more bedrooms. Now that I'm older an the kids are gone I would love to find a 2/2 somewhere and downsize.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I bought a 3 bedroom with no kids and no roommates (just a gf). One bedroom is for an office, the other is kind of like a man cave with a TV, recliner and futon for when friends stay over. I bought 3 bedroom for the resale value. My next house will also be three bedrooms and I will probably turn my man cave into a legitimate guest bedroom and ditch the man cave.
Is this actually a real adult male, not a television personality, using the term "man cave?"

Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 AM

15 posts, read 28,568 times
We have 3 bedrooms and that a good start for a family.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:04 AM

117 posts, read 92,643 times
I am only 1 of my parents. So for us 4 room is enough I think to live on as well as for the guest.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:30 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
We as a couple moved from a three bed house ten years ago to a one bedroom.. as all of my family had moved out and the house prices here in the UK were silly prices, so expensive so we found this small house but its lovely and has a back, front and side garden which makes it look much bigger than it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House