Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 PM

672 posts, read 846,715 times

Advertisements

We're building a 5 bedroom. We have 2 toddlers and my sister in law lives with us for the time being. The second bedroom downstairs will be our office, and when the sister in law moves out, that bedroom may serve as the bedroom for our 3rd kid if we have one, or turn it into a workout room. If any guests ever come over, we can use the sofabed in the game room or the kids can bunk, since they each of full size beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
4 bedrooms. One is an office. One is a workout room. One is a guest room. Seems to work out fine for us.

Remember when our oldest went to college. During the freshman orientation, they asked us to raise our hands if our child shared a room. Hardly anyone did. But every student living in the dorm would be sharing a room. It was an eye opener.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Having a room for every kid and a spare room would be nice. And I would love a work-out room. But its not necessary, almost everyone I knew growing up had to share bedrooms at some point. There were five of us kids with 3 rooms between us so we had to share. If I have more kids they'll share if they have to and I'm sure they'll be fine.

At the moment we have two bedrooms, so kiddo has her own room and we have our room. When my parents visited they slept in the motorhome we had hired for our holiday but otherwise they'd sleep on a mattress in the lounge or stay in a hotel - we're not fancy!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:37 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
We have downsized (two of us, no nippers) and could easily get by with 2 bedrooms, but as we wanted an office/computer room, we went with 3 bedrooms.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
4 bedrooms. One is an office. One is a workout room. One is a guest room. Seems to work out fine for us.

Remember when our oldest went to college. During the freshman orientation, they asked us to raise our hands if our child shared a room. Hardly anyone did. But every student living in the dorm would be sharing a room. It was an eye opener.
Our kids have said the same thing...it was an adjustment learning to share a dorm room with someone....and some roommates still haven't adjusted to that . Our kids shared rooms off and on but through middle and high school had their own rooms.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
3 +1 that can either be a 4th or an extra room.

At the moment, we have 3, two masters and one large kids room. Unfortunately to convert the kids to a 4th would likely be cost prohibitive. We are thinking the 4th will be in a truck camper. LOL. not so great in the winter.

S.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:16 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
The spare guest room thing is crazy to me. If you really need/want the extra room for an office or a hobby or whatever else that you use regularly, I can completely understand that, but to pay extra for a room that sits vacant 90+% of the time, plus pay for extra property taxes and extra utilities and extra furniture just seems like a waste to me. For that price, you could probably put your occasional guests up in the ritziest hotel in town, and have money left for dinner and a show. Maybe other people have guests more often than I do? I can't imagine having people stay over more than a couple of times per year.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 PM

524 posts, read 574,191 times
I like having a guest room. It is used not only for guest, but when either me or the spouse are having trouble sleeping. Tossing or turning all night, go to the guest room so the spouse can sleep. Have a cold and coughing all night, go to the guest room so one of us gets some sleep.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:52 PM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
The spare guest room thing is crazy to me. If you really need/want the extra room for an office or a hobby or whatever else that you use regularly, I can completely understand that, but to pay extra for a room that sits vacant 90+% of the time, plus pay for extra property taxes and extra utilities and extra furniture just seems like a waste to me. For that price, you could probably put your occasional guests up in the ritziest hotel in town, and have money left for dinner and a show. Maybe other people have guests more often than I do? I can't imagine having people stay over more than a couple of times per year.
An extra bedroom doesn't add that much to the overall cost of the house, and if you close the vents and keep the door closed, doesn't affect your utilities either.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I like having a guest room. It is used not only for guest, but when either me or the spouse are having trouble sleeping. Tossing or turning all night, go to the guest room so the spouse can sleep. Have a cold and coughing all night, go to the guest room so one of us gets some sleep.
I can see where a dog house room could come in handy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House