Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,842 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently got married.

We're both fairly young and looking forward to starting our life together. I'm graduating with a BA in a few weeks. My husband joined the US Military and is currently stationed at Fort Huachuca for AIT. We spent the last two years separated because of our different commitments. We got married after he graduated BCT, and he has finally asked me to move in with him and I am beyond excited to!

This is the first time he is away from home and living on his own. I've lived on my own for the last 4 years, however, I won't be able to bring down any of my furniture from my apartments because it would not be cost effective. The little stuff that I can bring would cost me thousands of dollars because of the distance from where I am to Arizona.

We're looking to get furnished apartments but I'm freaking out because I feel like there is SO much more we need to figure out and purchase for this place. The places I've lived, I've always had 3-4 other roommates, and it was just a much simpler scenario because we all brought in our own things and pooled our resources. Now, it's just him and I. Moving into our first apartment just seems like a much more difficult task. We're moving into a small, one bedroom apartment complex right off post. Our apartment is light furnished. Living room set and a bedroom set with kitchen appliances (i.e. stove, fridge and dishwasher)

I'm wondering if anyone here who has experience in starting from scratch can shed some light on the things we're going to need. We're on a budget so I'm looking to make a list of absolute NECESSITIES we're going to need right off the bat. Nothing extravagant, as it is a temporary home because he will be receiving orders again, soon. Any other advice would be appreciated

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
If you're living in a furnished apartment, and your husband is going to be deployed again soon, I would hold off any furniture and appliances until you move again.

You also may want to post in the Military forum for more advice.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Craigslist will be your friend here. Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was newly married with no real furniture of my own in the military with my military husband. We had furnishings my husband fashioned made out of ammo crates!! Ah the days.

I used to scour garage sales for deals and things I could repurpose but with Craigslist, it's like a virtual garage sale. It takes time to build up a home with nice furnishings, etc. Just enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of getting the deal in your younger years. Before you know it, you'll buy that first really nice piece of furniture, etc and then have a whole house full. You have the rest of your life to weigh yourself down with 'stuff'. Don't rush it.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 PM

15 posts, read 28,565 times
It is really hard to start from the begging because most us ladies we want everlasting complete and as much as possible it's all set and organize. But I know you can make it and everything well be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House