Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 AM

426 posts, read 505,881 times

Advertisements

I always have wondered about the homes I see on TV shows with such high ceilings, truly soaring, and a light fixture/chandelier up there. Plus windows. How do these people change a light bulb, dust, clean a window? Is it that they are so wealthy they hire someone to do these tasks? They were a pretty common feature for a number of years, even in town homes. Any experience with these rooms and if you regret having them, or remain very happy with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:01 AM

777 posts, read 1,871,555 times
I was going to respond in the "8 foot ceiling heights" thread, but yours is more appropriate. I have a home with soaring ceilings. Minimum 10 foot in some rooms, vaulted in others - approaching 15 feet, and a two-story foyer. All have ceiling lights and there's a chandelier hanging from the two-story foyer. Most also have smoke detectors affixed to the ceiling.

HATE it, absolutely HATE it.

It is impossible to clean/dust, change light bulbs or smoke detector batteries. I simply do no use the ceiling lights. Instead of dealing with replacing smoke detector batteries, which annually required a handyman with a very tall ladder, I recently had an electrician replace the smokes with the 10-year battery type. Wish I'd had the foresight at the time to also have the electrician replace all the bulbs with LEDs, which would last forever.

Then there's the absolute waste of gas and electricity to heat and cool this wasted space.

Sure, high/vaulted ceilings make a home look impressive and lend an open, airy feeling, but that's it. There is no other redeeming value. I cannot wait to unload this house in favor of one with 8-foot ceilings that I can easily reach with a short ladder.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Depending on the structure of the light fixture, the bulbs can often be changed using a bulb-changing tool with extending handles that you can buy at a hardware store. I used to have one of those to change bulbs on the porchlights. Ditto with dusters, which can be put on extension poles.

You can rent a large ladder at most any Home Depot or Lowe's for...maybe $20 a day, during which you could easily change every bulb, dust, or do whatever you need to do. Or get your kid to do it if you hate heights. Renting it sure beats buying one just to use once or twice a year.

Still, I agree that the high-ceiling foyer is probably a waste of energy.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:31 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
Plus windows. How do these people change a light bulb, dust, clean a window? Is it that they are so wealthy they hire someone to do these tasks? They were a pretty common feature for a number of years, even in town homes
There are handymen who advertise stuff like this in my town daily (as in they put a note on my door almost daily). I change them myself, and dusting is a yearly thing.

Same with exterior window washing and tree trimming.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:11 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Sigh.....tell me about it!

In my house for a year, there is a fixture over the stairway, very high up, can't see how to get a ladder directly under it.

I think I am just going to tape over that light switch and not use it.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
http://www.amazon.com/Evriholder-HR-...ceiling+duster
Something like that. The one I have has a curved duster for ceiling fans and certain chandeliers. It's pretty easy and I only do it once a year. The pole also has a light bulb changer, but I have LED's and so haven't used it yet.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:34 PM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
Bulb changing device that screws onto a paint stick...costs apx $8 bucks,,,and away go's the troubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House