U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 PM

820 posts, read 3,381,703 times

Advertisements

I've had both kinds of stoves and ovens and prefer electric. We are currently looking at houses for sale in the Chicago area and notice that virtually all houses have gas stoves. Is there a way to convert to electric? We want to buy an electric stove for the house we purchase. Would the gas company just come out a cap the line? Does anyone know how this would work?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM

323 posts, read 1,418,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I've had both kinds of stoves and ovens and prefer electric. We are currently looking at houses for sale in the Chicago area and notice that virtually all houses have gas stoves. Is there a way to convert to electric? We want to buy an electric stove for the house we purchase. Would the gas company just come out a cap the line? Does anyone know how this would work?
Thanks.
If it's a good gas stove give me a shout! I've got an electric that's going to be available - probably worth the trip to Chicago to make a trade. Beyond the fact that I much, MUCH, MUCH prefer gas our electric service panel is pretty much maxed out and the heat pump that we're getting set up for the attic apparently needs 240v so I had the bright idea of ditching the 240v line that our current stove is on... not that I was looking for an excuse to go back to gas, you understand

Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 PM

351 posts, read 1,313,798 times
We're also doing the conversion from gas to electric, but working backwards from the difficulty of finding the gas line, my sense is that your understanding is correct. Have the gas company (or perhaps just a very good handyman) disconnect the line, find an electric model you like, and Plug and Play (or cook!)

Old 01-16-2008, 01:25 PM

12,150 posts, read 10,767,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
We're also doing the conversion from gas to electric, but working backwards from the difficulty of finding the gas line, my sense is that your understanding is correct. Have the gas company (or perhaps just a very good handyman) disconnect the line, find an electric model you like, and Plug and Play (or cook!)
Only if you have the proper electrical service the stove requires.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM

857 posts, read 3,264,525 times
Pull the stove out and look behind it. Depending on how old the house is, most builders put a 220 line behind the range just in case. Also, the gas line behind it should have a cut-off valve right on it, so there is no need to have it capped. If you haven't picked a house yet and are still looking, try looking at the electric service panel. Some homeowners might get a little funny about you pulling their stove out. If they have a double breaker in the service panel and if it is labeled "range" then there is most likely a line there and all you have to do is plug in your new range.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,486,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Pull the stove out and look behind it. Depending on how old the house is, most builders put a 220 line behind the range just in case. Also, the gas line behind it should have a cut-off valve right on it, so there is no need to have it capped. If you haven't picked a house yet and are still looking, try looking at the electric service panel. Some homeowners might get a little funny about you pulling their stove out. If they have a double breaker in the service panel and if it is labeled "range" then there is most likely a line there and all you have to do is plug in your new range.
Darn, I keep getting beat to the punch today! LOL Yes, what this poster said is exactly right. And if you do pull out the stove and there is NOT a cut-off valve, it's a code violation (at least, everywhere I've lived it would be).

Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 PM

14,199 posts, read 26,341,715 times
To be safe, code requires a cap on the outlet side of the valve.

In CA, PGE will provide the cap for free or you can get one from your hardware store for a couple of bucks.

As long as you have room in the electric panel to add a 220v 50 amp breaker... the rest is just running the cable and adding the proper outlet.

The last one I did cost about $125 in materials... (Circuit Breaker, #6 Romex Cable, Cable Clamps and 50 Amp Outlet)

Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,486,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
To be safe, code requires a cap on the outlet side of the valve.

In CA, PGE will provide the cap for free or you can get one from your hardware store for a couple of bucks.

As long as you have room in the electric panel to add a 220v 50 amp breaker... the rest is just running the cable and adding the proper outlet.

The last one I did cost about $125 in materials... (Circuit Breaker, #6 Romex Cable, Cable Clamps and 50 Amp Outlet)
Ah, thanks for that tip about the cap. I just disconnected a gas appliance last weekend and thought that the inline shutoff valve was sufficient. Easy enough to rectify, thanks again!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM

820 posts, read 3,381,703 times
Thanks to everyone for their sage advice. We are in the beginning process of looking to buy a house. We have a few more months to make a decision. We just sold our house in Virginia and are renting now in the Chicago area so we can get a good feel for the area before we buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House