Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 PM

509 posts, read 1,259,946 times

Advertisements

I told the construction manager that I do not want these boards used on the construction of our house and you can see why. It rained today and pretty much the rest of the week it will also rain. Is he right that it doesn't matter that they've gotten wet; he said that they are made to withstand the elements. Please, please if you are familiar with these boards can you please tell me if he is right or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Construction manager says this is ok (picture)-rainandhouse.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,029,599 times
Based on your photo it is not clear what material these cladding boards are made of (cement board, wood, composite); however, they were unprotected during an apparent rain storm and are sitting in ponded water. The contractor did not protect these boards sufficiently from the weather and as such (whatever the product) the boards will experience shrinkage at a minimum and perhaps warping during the drying process. This material should be removed from the site.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:41 PM

Thank you jerseyj, the manager said that they are not made of wood and called them sis boards. These are his words: [SIZE=3] That material is sis board it is not wood. It goes on the front back and in a few places on the side of the house. It is not damaged and is made to withstand the elements. The plumbers, electricians and several other subcontractors will make holes in it. All holes are taped or polysealed. Every edge is taped.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,483,512 times
From Styrofoam's literature on their Structural Insulated Sheathing (SIS) Product.

"STORAGE
If stored exposed to elements, cover with waterproof tarpaulin. Do not store
directly on the ground unprotected. Product bundles are shipped from the
factory in weather-tight packaging. Normal care should be taken to avoid
excessive moisture exposure (soaking) to unpackaged product. Maintain
packaging protection until installation. Once removed from the protective
bundle covering and installed on the wall frame, it can remain uncovered
for up to 90 days of UV exposure."

http://oxengineeredproducts.com/wp-c...4_14-FINAL.pdf

You might want to show this to your CM and see if he changes his tune. Failure to follow manufacturers guidelines is usually not a good idea.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 PM

rrtechno, thank you sooo much!!! What a great find!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:13 AM

9,141 posts, read 14,717,969 times
He is right that it is designed to resist the elements. It is going to be on the side of the house, exposed for a few days to few weeks prior to the siding going on. But, being exposed to the elements is not the same as laying in water. Honestly, the top part of the stack is probably fine in reality, but the three or four in the water I wouldn't want to be used. It is probably safer overall to just use a new pallet though.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:09 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
There is no way I would accept that, and I would bet the construction manager wouldn't either.

He is covering his tail side. If he has to order replacements, it comes back to why his crew wasn't treating the materials properly.

I'd go to the builder and ask if they have any objections to you posting those photos online.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,852,102 times
First off Moorhen, you do not have SIS sitting in water because that product is not that color nor is it foil covered. What you have is a 3rd generation foam called polyisocyanurate. There are many makers of it but around here the most popular is called Thermax or High R Sheathing. It is a non structural component and is an insulation and moisture barrier. It is suitable for use under ground. Water is not going to hurt it at all as it does not absorb water. Think of it as being like steel wool but without the rust. The biggest down side to it here is that ants love the stuff. You'll need to stay on top of the pest control around the house exterior or they'll invade. There's nothing wrong with the product or using it on the house. Once they pick it up out of the water, any water that has gotten into it simply runs out and it's dry almost immediately. You construction super probably used the term SIS as a generic name for any rigid wall insulation, kinda like we call facial tissues Kleenex even though it may be a different brand. Happens a lot in the industry.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 PM

I went back today and got a closer picture of it. It is still in the ponded water. The top board has some of the first layer peeling off from the foam.
Attached Thumbnails
Construction manager says this is ok (picture)-board.jpg  

Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM

TrapperL, I googled polyisocyanurate and under the storage section it says this:

STORAGE
Store AP Foil-Faced Foam Sheathing elevated above the floor or ground
and standing water. If stored outdoors, keep dry by covering completely
with a waterproof tarpaulin.
http://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/glo...ilFaced_DS.pdf

Almost the same thing as what Techno said. I am just wanting to make sure that the materials used on the construction are quality materials. So do you think I should not worry about this particular batch of boards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House