Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,608 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My 50 gal (gas) water heater is about 8.5 years old and don't know much about it's maint history. And it's in the attic. In the master bath garden tub hot water faucet (which is high flow and closest to the heater) we see light brown water.

Anyways, I want to replace it. Any recommendations of specific brand/model (No, please don't suggest tankless option not willing to spend more).

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
Does Discoloration in Hot Water Mean a Water Heater Is Going Bad?

Does Discoloration in Hot Water Mean a Water Heater Is Going Bad? | Home Guides | SF Gate

Rheem Performance Plus 50 gal or the Rheem Performance Platinum 50 gal.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:14 AM

336 posts, read 591,987 times
I recommend against buying a water heater from big box stores. The GE water heater with 7-year warranty I bought from the orange big box store in 2009 recently had a non-repairable leak. Both GE and the store gave me runarounds. GE told me to bring the water heater to the store and they would give me a replacement. Problem is the store no longer carries GE water heater products and has switched to Rheem. The store wouldn't give me a new one. I decided to bite the bullet and bought one directly from Rheem so that I wouldn't have to go through the BS games again should something breaks.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:53 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
I personally like Bradford White. They have the best quality control in the industry.

Note that the new minimum energy standards for water heaters went into effect last week. 50 gallon gas water heaters now are required to have a minimum energy factor of 0.60, increased from 0.58.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
+1 for Bradford White

A.O. Smith is a good choice too. That's what I have currently, but had Bradford White at the old house.

My brother just had his ancient GE gas water heater replaced with a new Bradford White last year.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
+1 for Bradford White

Interesting, my old water heater (builder installed house built Nov 2006) is Bradford white Defender.

So can I try flushing it? Hope it won't like start leaking badly after flush! (it's in the attic).

The water from the closet hot water faucet isn't terribly brown, just a tinge if I open the faucet high & observe closely

Also other than big box stores, where else can I buy?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...VjQ&authuser=0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...bDQ&authuser=0

Last edited by gcretro; 04-19-2015 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 11:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
First and foremost let me say that putting a water heater in the attic is the most asinine thing I've ever seen in house construction.

OK- Moving right along! Everybody is suggesting this brand or that- well folks, have you every seen the construction of a water heater (strictly talking gas here)? They're all pretty much exactly the same. As a matter of fact, the controller unit is made by one of three companies here in the US. They all have to meet a certain minimum energy standard (which was just increased this month), and every manufacturer offers the same type of warranty. I think "BRAND" makes little to no difference. And yes, there will be the naysayers that will try and persuade you that this or that brand is junk- whatever!

IF! And this is a really big IF- I had to put a W/H in an attic I'd be more concerned about its efficiency in an unconditioned space. While most W/H's are in a basement, or closet, they have the benefit of being in a conditioned or semi-conditioned space. This tempers the extreme shift in ambient temperatures found in an attic.

Some may say that during the summertime the W/H doesn't work as hard as in the winter, so that offsets the extremes- bullmalarky! What do you think that foam insulation is for?

So, with all of this in mind I'd be looking for a HE W/H. Something in the 90% efficiency range. With that I would know I'm getting the best bang for my buck considering the environment the W/H is in.

However, at 8-1/2yrs I would hardly think that you're about to find yourself without hot water. Unless you have extremely hard water, or frequent interruptions in service- amounting to excessive sediment. Flushing a W/H will certainly rid the W/H of most of the sediment, but it certainly won't do anything for a hard water condition.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 PM

Thx.
So can you recommend a he WH brand?

As far as in the attic... can't do much now. Relocation will be a big proj.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:59 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Thx.

By he, do you mean high efficiency? Note that if you want a 50 gallon water heater with an energy factor above 0.62 (current minimum federal standard is 0.60), you will need to buy either a power vented model or models with either integrated flue dampers or baffle blowers, which will require external electricity. Power vented models, as well as models with baffle blowers, will often be more expensive to buy than a tankless model while having inferior efficiency.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Thx.

Are you doing it yourself? If not, it wouldn't hurt to get quotes to relocate it from a few plumbers, assuming there is a better location for it in your home. I had my WH relocated, granted it was not from an attic (laundry room to garage) but they had to go into the attic to run the new pipes and such. The cost wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House