Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:51 PM

737 posts, read 1,574,540 times

Advertisements

We just had our 10 year old roof replaced two months ago. I can only assume in those ten years, it was hit with at least 2 or more hail storms and we never had a leak. It was replaced due to our lack of knowledge on roofs....and we still have some of that lack of knowledge. I would not have replaced it if I could turn back time.
Anyway, we had a nasty, nasty hail storm last night. No leaks. A roofer was in the area giving free inspections- a roofer that is trusted and a friend of a friend. He just looked at our roof. I said we won't replace it until we get leaks one day. That's when he said we will get leaks for sure because of the hail damage.
I just.....don't think I believe this. Yes, you can see where the hail hit because it took granules off,but, there's still many, the majority, of the roof with granules very much there. I figure we have many more years of life in this roof. No way in heck I will file with insurance over and over again or replace something that still has lots of life in it.

Experience on this subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 PM

17,405 posts, read 65,568,867 times
"Hail damage-does it always equal leaks?"

In a word-No.
Then again, depending on the size of the hail...

Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 AM

Is it really just luck then, depending on where the hail hits and size of hail?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,728,070 times
If you find holes, cracking, or missing shingles on roofs with hail damage, then this can result in leaking.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:17 AM

Why do these roofers show you spots where the granules are missing but the shingle is still very much there and say oh yes this will cause leaks? Greed?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM

17,405 posts, read 65,568,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Why do these roofers show you spots where the granules are missing but the shingle is still very much there and say oh yes this will cause leaks? Greed?
Well of course! They're trying to make money. You didn't really think they care about what your insurance company would say or pay?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
It totally depends on the size of the hail and the condition of the roof the hail hits. Like others have said, if there are missing shingles, torn shingles, holes, or cracked shingles, then yes, leaking is likely. But just missing granules on a relatively new roof? Probably not.

I live in northeast Texas. My gosh, if we replaced the roof everytime we had a hail storm and lost some granules, we'd be replacing it every spring!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 AM

Oh I thought roofers were driving here from different parts of Texas because they care about us and they care about the condition of our house?

<snickers> lol

Old 04-20-2015, 02:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,680,035 times
Here in our area, we had a hail storm that ruined over half the roofs in this area, and they had to be replaced 3 years ago. It depends a lot on the size of the hail, and if it is round small hail, or large ragged chunk type hail. It also damaged, any automobile not under shelter.

Our personal damage, was the entire roof on our home had to be replaced. Our barn/stables is a metal pole barn, and the roof was dimpled all over it but still watertight, and we settled for $4,400 in damage check, as the only way you can see the damage, is if you get up on a ladder to see the roof and really does not effect the barn or it's use. Our 1996 F-150 pickup, has small dimples and again we settled for a $4,000 plus settlement check. The pickup only shows the dimples if you get right up to it and look down at it. The paint was not damaged, just little dimples. The pickup is in choice condition, runs perfect, and has less than 100,000 miles on it. Used to take garbage to dump, and hauling things from shopping trips too big to fit in the Explorer. That $4,000 plus settlement was 2/3rds of its market value.

About 20 years ago we had just moved to a mountain community in Montana, and drove down to the valley to our Real Estate Office every day. One day we drove down, and saw when we had left the mountains, trees all shredded of their leaves. Turned on the local radio station and learned about the ice storm. Not hail, but large jagged chunks of ice the evening before. One woman was carrying her baby to her car from shopping, and a big chunk killed her baby in her arms, it was that fierce. I started checking homes we owned or managed. Lots of damage. One home had every storm window on the house destroyed and the roof destroyed. That was the worst one.

We had sold our personal home in the valley when we moved to the mountains. It was to close the next week. A very large brick home with redwood shake roof. When I drove up to it, I saw every shingle on the roof split into 1 to 2 inch strips. The only thing that had bothered the buyers was the fact the roof was 16 years old. Called them up, and told them they were really lucky. They were getting a brand new heavy shake roof, so they could quit worrying about it. It took 6 months to get rid of all the storm damage from that ice storm.

A lot of new and newer homes had lost their roofs. All they could do was to go out and cover the roofs with tarps to make them weather tight till they could repair them. First few day, roofing contractors were kept busy as the insurance companies made appointments to get the homes covered and protected at insurance company expense.

Those are the only hail storms I have ever seen, that caused that amount of damage.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:37 PM

Like the other poster said, you can't replace major components of your home year after year on insurance. It just does not make financial sense and it's shortsighted.
You should see the roofing companies out today. It's quite something.There will be another huge storm in a year or the year after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House