Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:04 PM

231 posts, read 590,407 times

Advertisements

I am on 10 acres and my neighbor is constantly shooting his gun(s). It can be quite loud and really scares my dogs. I used to live on a 7,500 sq ft lot in Southern Ca and my neighbors were noisy too! You cannot truly escape loud neighbors IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 01:29 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Several... depending on topography and layout of improvements.

It's often a function of zoning too...

I know a 17 acre heavily wooded parcel that is as private as can be... absolute tranquility and the property is fenced/gated so no drop ins either...

One Acre is nice... but not really private here because many 1 acre lots are rectangular shaped and often resemble nice streets from the front... it is just the back yards are very deep.

General consensus among Realtors I know for some elbow room and privacy is about 5 +/-

Old 04-22-2015, 02:05 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
Or More!!! and believe me none of us want to hear you BLASTING your music either..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
10 Acres

Old 04-22-2015, 02:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,528 times
Actually it was an honest comment.. as you see there are people on what you would consider HUGE Pieces of land and low and behold the dang neighbor thinks it just Fine and Well that he is shooting his guuun whenever he so see's fit.. Remember when your out there in the country.. a lot of your neighbors will be unusual at best.. You mention so much as once ...that you like to meditate and you'll have half the county believing that your a Dang Libturd Hippy Commie Dope Freak.. seen it...heard it.. [quote=waywardphilosopher;39317277]Thanks all, for the helpful responses. I'm a bit surprised Moderators are allowed to make snarky comments; I'm relatively new to this forum and that greatly diminishes the credibility of it in my eyes.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:46 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
No matter where you move to get away from noise, you need luck. Moving away from the loud-TV neighbors, to a 1000 acre forest with no other houses for miles, your new neighbor might be a mockingbird.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
1/2 acre. I wanted the same thing as you having lived in a tract development before, vowed to never to do it again. Our house now is on a 1/2 acre and while I'd love more land eventually, it checks all the boxes on your list.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I agree with other posters, 40 acres.... Even on one of my 40 acre pieces I could hear certain noises (generator, chainsaw, etc) but they are pretty easy to ignore . You need 1000's of acres if you want to get away from gunshot noise though . People with large tracts of land like to shoot guns and do other noisy activities.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Lightbulb 10 acres and you won't hear neighbor from inside your house

All you people complaining about gunshots just need to convince your neighbor to get into suppressors.

No, they're not like in the movies, don't make even a .22 perfectly quiet, but a good silencer takes away the majority of the annoying components of gunshot noise.

The downside is, once your neighbor gets past the hump about doing NFA paperwork, they might notice that machine guns are legal in many states as well...

Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM

186 posts, read 427,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
100+ acres if they own a helicopter
I agree with this...even if they don't own a helicopter. I am about 10 acres away from a house that plays music and I can hear it sometimes, even through the dense woods. It's only once in a while so it doesn't bother me. On the other side, there's a neighbor about 8-10 acres away and I can hear his dog barking sometimes. I can also hear tractors, lawnmowers, gunshots and other stuff, but that doesn't bother me. Now, I couldn't live in a subdivision or something like that because I am extremely sensitive to noise, but at my current property I'm fine because the noise is not intrusive.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:00 PM

248 posts, read 342,662 times
Many acres. We're on 3.5 with the house smack in the middle and dense brush and trees between us and the nearest neighbor. We can't see them and we can't hear their conversations, but we can hear their leaf blowers, their dogs barking and we can hear when a teen is having a party. Not a big problem as it's not incessant. Perfect peace and quiet? You'll need to be out in the middle of nowhere. The freight trains that go by 2 miles out back are far more annoying than the neighbors when the blast the horn at the grade crossing at 2am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House