Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times

Advertisements

Right now....2 cats stalking a mouse....

Live in an old log cabin and Mrs.B got tired of living with " Early Poverty" dirt floors...so now she has a solid sheet of vinyl in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Really? My cat knocked three dinner plates and 8 glasses out of the cabinet. They hit the hardwood and broke into pieces.
Ewww! I make a point never to eat anywhere that animals share a space with the clean dishes and glassware.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We remodeled the kitchen a year and a half ago and I didn't replace the floor because I had maxxed out my budget. Then we had a couple of unplanned medical expenses and we are finally now getting over the hump and I want to re-do the kitchen floor.

The current floor is tile and besides being installed poorly, there are pieces that don't match so keeping the floor is not an option.

It's a galley kitchen - smallish - flanked by two eating areas, one formal, one breakfast, and both have the wood flooring that was there when we moved in. It appears to be bamboo and it scratches and dents easily. I don't want that in my kitchen plus I doubt I could match it anyway.

I'm not a big fan of tile, it's hard and keeping the grout clean in the kitchen (did I mention I am a messy cook?) is difficult.

Anyone have flooring recommendations for the kitchen? What do you have and do you like it?
I'd put the same thing in that I put in a big spec house I worked on - hardwood. Not prefinished planks, but real 3/4" x 4" tongue and groove red oak, stained walnut and satin finished. Maybe a little narrower in a galley kitchen but I'd extend it at least into the breakfast area and also the dining room if the budget allows. That will be there long after we're gone.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Allure Custom Flooring ~ Home Depot ~ Love it!!!

Same here. It looks good & is very easy to keep clean.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Cork, or hardwood finished in place are the only way to go.

Even melamine shatters on tile. I've only lived in one house with a tiled kitchen. We weren't even there a year and I ended up at the podiatrist!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Cork, or hardwood finished in place are the only way to go.

Even melamine shatters on tile. I've only lived in one house with a tiled kitchen. We weren't even there a year and I ended up at the podiatrist!
I looked into cork, but it sounds like it can get dented/scratched easily. That's why I was wondering if anyone actually had cork flooring in the kitchen and how it has held up.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:49 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"What do you have on your kitchen floor?"

Dust, dirt, a few cookie crumbs, some kibbles from the dog, and water spots.

What were you really expecting?
LMAo same here

Bruce hardwood 3/4" x 2" oak in Butterscotch. Holding up well.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 AM

139 posts, read 314,026 times
We currently have hardwood and our last house had hardwood. I prefer tile, however. (You can take the girl out of Florida...yada yada)

Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I looked into cork, but it sounds like it can get dented/scratched easily. That's why I was wondering if anyone actually had cork flooring in the kitchen and how it has held up.
Cork is very common in Australia. I have several friends and relatives with cork in the kitchen and main living areas and the only obvious damage I've ever seen was a hole from a stiletto heel. Maybe there are scratches and you just can't see them? I've been knocking around these houses for decades and I'm pretty observant about ths stuff (I once had pristine hardwoods and scratches and marks drove me crazy). Most of them would be 30+ year old floors at this point. My aunt's kitchen floor must be close to 50 years old. I know she had it refinished once. You can also have them sanded and refinished, just like a wooden floor. A friend's floor definitely needs refinishing as you can see the wear in the main traffic zone. They've been in the house around 25 years (yikes! I'm old!), don't know how much older than that the floor is.

Apart from the softness and utter waterproofness I really like how warm they are. In Australia we don't have central heating so it really matters!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I don't like tile either. It's hard on my feet & back when standing for long periods of time. I've experienced this while visiting people with tile flooring.

I had laminate put in my kitchen 10 years ago and it's held up VERY well. Very easy to keep clean. I just use my vacuum. Have never washed/mopped the whole floor--just random spills or doggy foot prints.

My two negatives about laminate are cold in winter & noisy to walk on. I don't wear shoes in my home so that cuts down on a lot of noise. But in the winter, the floor is cold.

Positives are cheap, durable, dog friendly, easy to keep clean, Corelle & glassware don't shatter when dropped, forgiving on feet/back when standing for long periods of time. Plus I love the pitter patter of my dogs toenails as she walks across the floor.

I added a basement bathroom and remodeled my entryway from the garage & my laundry room last fall. I chose Earthwerks LVT for flooring. It's warmer & a little softer to walk on than my laminate but it seems noisier--kind of that hollow sound. It's also a floating floor. So if water damage occurs, it should be relatively easy to replace a few pieces rather than the whole floor.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you have on your kitchen floor?-flooring.jpg   What do you have on your kitchen floor?-entry-way-3-10-8.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House