Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:58 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Hi everyone . I just bought my second weed eater ( used ) this one is a black and decker grass hog. They both lasted all of 10 minutes before giving out the very first time I tried to use them. I found a video online of how to fix my grass hog but not sure it will work.

I have a small lawn and do not need much or anything fancy. I was seriously thinking of getting an old fashioned push mower. I have read the new ones are much easier to use than the older ones are. Has anyone tried to use them?

Then I came upon this article about using a scythe . The grim reaper thing. They say it works and has none of the problems you deal with from a weed eater machine. What do you all think?

Who Needs a WeedWacker When You Can Use a Scythe? - WSJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqFl86BOck
Get a better weed eater.

If you bought a black and decker at Wal-Mart - just throw it away. I do have a reel mower, and they do work. It would be okay to use on your small yard. I don't cut grass, so it just sits in my garage. I have a huge yard and we have riding mowers.

One thing about the reel mower, well mine anyway, if I ran over a stick it would jam the blades. So make sure there isn't anything in the grass. Didn't hurt the blades, just had to stop and pull it out.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:02 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
What about the old fashioned push mower that I also want to buy ? One of the most beautiful lawns ever is Wrigley Field baseball stadium and according to this article it is done partly with the use of a roller which many old fashioned push mowers already have so if you want an enviable front lawn the reel mower can help you get it.

Make Your Yard Look Like Wrigley Field | The Art of Manliness
yes they use a reel mower for those fields, but it is gas powered riding type mowers.

The "reel" refers to the type of blade configuration. It is a scissor cut rather than a chopping cut that a regular lawn mower blade makes. So with the scissor cut your grass blades end up with smooth edges, chopping and pulling - rough edges.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Well maybe it does not cost that much but the cord is annoying to me.
That's why most people use gas which in addition to no cord are generally better machines.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes they use a reel mower for those fields, but it is gas powered riding type mowers.
When I was kid we had a self propelled walk behind reel lawnmower. This was back in the early 80's, I'm pretty sure self propelled for any lawnmower wasn't common yet.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:17 AM

811 posts, read 1,555,986 times
Quote:
How great. Tell me did you use a special smaller version? Do you remember how to use it now? Would you recommend one ?
This was many years ago in the UK. It was my granddads scythe. The last time I used it was about 20 years ago before some b*****d stole it. I used it to cut down Stinging Nettles, he used it to cut his small crop of wheat. He died 65 years ago. After it was stolen I used his hand scythe which we still have somewhere. Personally, I would not use one on a lawn, don't know if that would work at all. It was great for longer grasses though.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:20 AM

45,320 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When I was kid we had a self propelled walk behind reel lawnmower. This was back in the early 80's, I'm pretty sure self propelled for any lawnmower wasn't common yet.
The 1980s? Self propelled mowers had been around for decades at that point. The big transition was from reel mowers to gasoline powered rotary ones.

I've seen a couple old (pre-1960s) gas powered reel mowers. My sense, from watching them be used, was that they were a pain.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I have a small yard, and I'm not terribly picky about how it looks. But I love my antique (It's gotta be from the 1920s or 30s) reel mower. Just roll it out of the garage and start cutting.

If you're going to buy a new one, be sure it's of good quality. I tried a cheaper new one (about $100, from Lowe's) and all the plastic bits were falling apart after the first 2 years.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've seen a couple old (pre-1960s) gas powered reel mowers. My sense, from watching them be used, was that they were a pain.
We had a small yard and it wasn't practical, knowing my Dad he got it for free. I'd imagine it would have worked really well for larger area.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Work smarter, not harder comes to mind.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
I went into Lowes today and they had a product called a tru tough weed cutter a lot like this one.
Shop Tru Tough Tru Tough Long-Handle Weeder at Lowes.com

And also something called a bush axe
Shop Tru Tough Tru Tough Bush Axe at Lowes.com

Looking online tonight I also found some nice looking old fashioned type tools on amazon like this one
Amazon.com : True Temper 1942600 Serrated Grass Whip : Weed Cutter : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Or this one called a weeding sickle. A sort of newer smaller version of a scythe
http://www.amazon.com/KNK-MT211-ARS-...5T78WW6C6Y2BE7

They all look pretty good to me. Do you think any of them could work for me? I wonder if any of them might meet my needs for cutting grass and weeds that have gotten a bit long? And for maintaining the lawn in a small yard after that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House