Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:59 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

How about a sheep? They're good with grass and don't break easy.

I've got several scythes - one for grasses and one for brush, one push reel mower, a couple of powered push mowers and there's a riding mower out there, too. As well as a string trimmer (weed wacker) with a string and one with a chain saw blade as well as a few chain saws. They are all for different types of conditions.

For a small lawn that just needs a bit off the top, the push mower does great. Anytime you're taking much off, though, it's much more difficult and that's when power mowers do well. The scythe is great for tall grass and is better than the string trimmer at the really tall (three feet and higher) grasses and bamboo. It actually takes out the big clumps of guinea grass that chokes the backhoe, but I doubt you're gonna have to deal with ten foot tall grasses in big clumps. A scythe can be used to mow shorter grass, but that's not really it's forte. IMHO, it's better at harvest high grasses but with a grass blade kept wicked sharp and some skill and patience you can mow a lawn with it. The powered push mowers work well on lawns up to the overgrown stage although they have to be set high and go slow if the lawn is really overgrown.

The easy answer is the neighbor kid with the push mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:27 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Do you think a woman could learn to use this as well as a man?
Are you buying it for your wife????????????

Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Scythe is a bad idea.
1. You might give yourself a crippling or fatal injury.
2. You might give someone else a crippling or fatal injury
3. You are probably not in good enough physical shape to use one to cut your entire yard with one.
4. You are definitely not skilled enough to cut your grass evenly with one
5. You will have to sharpen and clean the blade regularly.
6. You will have to rake up your grass clippings
7. Scythes are played out. Only landscaping hipsters use them.

Get a mulching mower and fuggedaboutit

Old 05-01-2015, 06:25 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Unless you know how to use a scythe - stay away from it. It is not a 'how to by UTube tool'. Get a decent weed eater, wear boots, long pants and safety glasses or let your wife do it or get a lawn service.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:32 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
I'm tempted to suggest a straight shaft weed wacker, with cow horn handles, but with a steel blade. You'll need a harness with it, and that stops you being able to cut your own feet off.

One note; Keep your hair tied up and out of the way of the recoil starter, (on the petrol version), I know someone that lost a whole lump of her scalp to a weed wacker.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Amazon.com : Black & Decker MTE912 12-Inch Electric 3-in-1 Trimmer/Edger and Mower, corded, 6.5-Amp : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have a small lawn and have used this 2x with no issues, it's quick, light, easy and gets the job done

Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 AM

16 posts, read 16,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think you're going to have a sore back, arms and especially the back of your legs, of course if you don't mind the exercise.... I've seen much smaller ones with golf club type handle and about 12 inch blade, not sure if the proper name is scythe.

If you're going to buy power equipment especially two stroke don't buy junk.
The golf club style you are referring to are called whips, not scythes. They are much easier to use than a scythe (at least to me since I can't seem to work a scythe properly). However, the problem with either is space. Both require a swinging motion and momentum to work. If you have a small area you may not have room to swing properly. We have acreage and I can use ours easily along the edge of the woods or even in the woods where the trees are far apart but it's tough to use near the bushes along the house. There, I have to watch the side of the house, desirable plants and the trunks of the bushes so I don't clip them with the 12 inch blade I'm swinging rapidly to cut down the weeds and long grass.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I was using a crappy electric weedeater and about 3 foot of line came out at once. It wasn't pretty especially considering I had shorts on. Right in the dumpster and never used a weedeater with shorts again.
Don't they also now sell plastic blades that fit weed wackers?

Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
OMG. I've never seen so many erroneous ideas about scythes in one thread!

First, they are very lightweight. You want one with an Austrian blade (Scythe Supply in Maine has them) and a snath ("handle") of ash or some other lightweight but strong wood. Secondly, they are not at all dangerous to the user. I can't imagine how you could cut your legs or anything else. Mowers (what they call scythe users) traditionally use the scythe barefoot. And yes, you can mow a small area with one; a good mower can trim right around a fence post. You do not need tall grass, either. Women can easily use them (my wife does). The scythe is silent, so you do not disturb the neighbors. And it works just as well (better?) in damp/wet grass, when you can't use a gas mower.

The downsides: good ones are not cheap. And like all blades, they need to be sharpened - a lot. In fact, mowers always carry a "whetstone" in a belt-holder, with water, for sharpening when the blade no longer has it's sharpened "bite" on the grass. Takes all of 5-6 seconds to restore the blade. Less frequently, the blade needs "peening" (thinning and re-shaping) which also goes quickly.

I have been using them for many years. You get better with practice. But you need to learn a little about them, and get some practice. After that...no more gas fumes or stalled engines for you!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
The problem is cheapness. The answer is not some primitive manual tool. The answer is to spend a little money and buy the correct trimmer. Like this:

2014 Husqvarna 324LDx Detachable Trimmer | Wise Sales

I have one similar to this from the same company and it is fast, powerful, lightweight, reliable and FUN to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House