Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 02:35 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Yes, I'd have to pay for him to get needed supplies.
So you are paying him if he decides to stop at a coffee shop and have a cup of coffee?

Next time.. Pay by the job. Contractor may pay their sub contractors by the hour but I don't see how it's cheaper doing it your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 02:40 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
So you are paying him if he decides to stop at a coffee shop and have a cup of coffee?

Next time.. Pay by the job. Contractor may pay their sub contractors by the hour but I don't see how it's cheaper doing it your way.

Yes, that would be true.

It's not like I wanted to pay by the hour. I haven't come accross a handyman (with satisfactory reviews on Angie's List) offering any other options. Maybe I should do more research.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times
I don't do much T&M but every now and then a customer will insist on it during the initial phone call. If I feel like it, I'll play along. The clock starts when I turn the ignition on, all travel time no matter what, work time, restroom stops, clean up, and transaction time that gets rounded up to the 1/2 hour. I make more off the T&M customers. Flat rate customers get discounts if the job goes smooth and they have the right temperament.

A handyman may not have the expertise or be set up to accurately bid a variety of dingbat tasks so T&M may be your only option. Professional tradesmen( non handyman) have no reason to not be able to offer you upfront pricing so phone time or eyeglass searches don't become your problem.

Last edited by btuhack; 05-04-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
I don't do much T&M but every now and then a customer will insist on it during the initial phone call. If I feel like it, I'll play along. The clock starts when I turn the ignition on, all travel time no matter what, work time, restroom stops, clean up, and transaction time that gets rounded up to by the 1/2 hour. I make more off the T&M customers. Flat rate customers get discounts if the job goes smooth and they have the right temperament.

A handyman may not have the expertise or be set up to accurately bid a variety of dingbat tasks so T&M may be your only option. Professional tradesmen( non handyman) have no reason to not be able to offer you upfront pricing and phone time or eyeglass searches don't become your problem.

Thanks so much!! This is the exact info I was looking for. That makes total sense.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:43 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Handymen charge by the hour where I am too, for the smaller stuff. They might do a bid for a bigger job, like installing a closet system or something, but not for a general "honey do" list.

The main guy I use is so cheap that I routinely round up his charges anyway. He's not super fast but he is super thorough and he also will tell me when something is outside of his comfort zone. So I think we are both happy with the outcome.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
I am a Handyman. I guarantee that if you want to pay me by the job, with a up front price, you will be paying more. If people want a up front price they are getting my worst case price. Usually new costumers what a price up front, but all my repeats pay by the hour, $50 show up 1st hour then $35 per hour. I would say that if you dont feel you got more then your moneys worth from your handyman then just dont hire him again.

I am posting on my wife's account, shes the agent.

Last edited by Zyngawf; 05-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: who I am

Old 05-04-2015, 04:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Yes, I'd have to pay for him to get needed supplies.
My guy would look at the job, know what he needs and pick it up on the way over if you hired him. He doesn't mark up the cost of parts.

Have you tried Thumbtack? Get quotes on jobs.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I am a Handyman. I guarantee that if you want to pay me by the job, with a up front price, you will be paying more. If people want a up front price they are getting my worst case price. Usually new costumers what a price up front, but all my repeats pay by the hour, $50 show up 1st hour then $35 per hour. I would say that if you dont feel you got more then your moneys worth from your handyman then just dont hire him again.

I am posting on my wife's account, shes the agent.
That's exactly how it's done here, except it costs more per hour.

This company provides an up-front estimate (3 hours at this cost, 4 hour at this cost), but you are billed according to actual hours expended.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My guy would look at the job, know what he needs and pick it up on the way over if you hired him. He doesn't mark up the cost of parts.

Have you tried Thumbtack? Get quotes on jobs.

I've never heard of it, but I will check it out. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:32 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Very standard is to pay travel one way with a 4 hour minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House