Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:11 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Yuck. Dishwashers don't just clean they also sanitize. Hand washing does not sanitize because human hands can't take the temperatures required. You are deluding yourself if you think you are using clean dishes when you hand wash.

I loved my whirlpool. When it died I got talked into a Bosch. It was terrible.
This is the reason one wears gloves and uses all hot water, to sanitize.

We will never have a dishwasher, wasted kitchen space, wasted water, wasted time, and if one cannot take the time to wash dishes no matter what the reason, one should use paper plates.

It is just the two of us and if I wanted to I could leave dishes for a week and still only take about 10 minutes to wash them. I don't do that but after any meal it takes less than 5 minutes to wash the dishes we have used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:22 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
10 minutes of running water to wash dishes equals about 20 gallons of water. That's the same as running a dishwasher 5 times.

Before energy efficient dishwashers, the difference in water consumption was not so stark. But with newer dishwashers, anyone who says they use more water is simply uninformed.

Built In Dishwashers vs. Hand Washing: Which is Greener? : TreeHugger

Old 05-09-2015, 11:35 AM

167 posts, read 359,252 times
I have a basic Kenmore. No stainless steel interior, just plastic. Doesn't have tons of settings. I just use the smartwash setting all the time. Dishes get cleaned. I think it was $499. I've had it for 5 years.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:52 PM

466 posts, read 643,854 times
Whirlpool or Maytags are good.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:34 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is the reason one wears gloves and uses all hot water, to sanitize.
Proper sanitizing requires temperatures over 160 degrees.

Your hot water heater cannot give you that temperature, nor could your hands withstand that temperature.

Again, there is a difference between clean and sanitize. You are eating off dirty dishes. Don't delude yourself otherwise.

Don't believe me, look it up.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:44 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Had a Kitchenaid (Whirlpool) at the old house and loved it. Current house has a Frigidaire and we are less than pleased. It just doesn't clean was well. But, it matches everything else in the kitchen (previous owner bought a "package" before listing the house for sale), and it't not a big enough deal to justify spending money on one. If I catch a really good sale on a nice unit, I may buy it and sell the Frigidaire on craigslist to get some of my money back.

Years ago I had a Kenmore in a house that I rented and it was decent, no real complaints.

Having owned ones with both plastic and stainless tubs, I will never again own a unit with a plastic one.

Home Depot has a Maytag (same company as Whirlpool now) with a stainless tub for around $500 (black or white exterior -stainless is more) and it has great reviews.

Maytag Front Control Dishwasher in White with Stainless Steel Tub and Steam Cleaning-MDB4949SDH - The Home Depot

Old 05-09-2015, 03:36 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Yuck. Dishwashers don't just clean they also sanitize. Hand washing does not sanitize because human hands can't take the temperatures required. You are deluding yourself if you think you are using clean dishes when you hand wash.

I loved my whirlpool. When it died I got talked into a Bosch. It was terrible.
LOL. Sanitizing is another word for cleaning. Besides, if the dishwasher doesn't get the food off, and much of the time it doesn't, it still doesn't do any good anyway? Also, I have yet to have gotten ill from all the thousands of times I have hand washed my dishes (and neither have our mothers, fathers, siblings, and grandparents who didn't have dishwashers either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
dishwashers save a LOT of water.
That's quite possibly true. But they are still electricity hogs, and they still require soap that is far more expensive than hand soap. (Plus all that other stuff like diswasher cleaner and spot remover). And let's not forget OP's original question. He/she wants a dishwasher that's less than $600. So there's $600 of expense even before the thing is driven off the lot However, I realize that many families believe they are indispensable. My grandmother told me that my cousin had an expensive model that had a built-in garbage disposal so she didn't even have to rinse the dishes first. I'm not sure if that's true, but if they exist, those types could be very helpful for sure.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
All your comments are so interesting; I love hearing your different perspectives on the subject!
Your comments and my own research are leading me to think the best way to go is a Kenmore, Maytag, or Whirlpool lower end model but with a stainless innards.
I have to go to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up paint, so will detour through the appliance section and see what they have.
I appreciate all your input- so helpful to get information from people who have more experience than I do with this
Oh, and thank you for all the helpful links- I will go through them later tonight- great input!

Old 05-09-2015, 04:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I buy the basic dishwashers. I have yet to have a problem with mine. It's a Frigidaire. I think it was 350-400 bucks. It's quiet, it works well. The last one was original 1979 model. I replaced it with the current one 5 years ago because I was remodeling and the old one would look bad on a full remodel. And the gasket was starting to weep and I couldn't find a replacement.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
BE SURE IT FITS! I'm not a dishwasher expert but I'm a facilities/maintenance type of gal. Get a tape measure and make sure the new one will fit or the honeymoon will be over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House