Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 03:41 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times

Advertisements

I knew this would happen. I recently shredded an accumulation of personal papers and I think I fried my electric shredder. Upon inspection (with the machine unplugged) I could see that there are a lot of paper shreds basically melded onto the cutting wheels, so the wheels won't cut anymore, or even "grab " the paper as it's fed in. I tried to remove as much of the paper from the wheels as I could but it's pretty impossible. Any suggestions, or time for a new shredder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
I have accidentally jammed too much paper in my paper shredder too. I unplugged it and tried to manually remove as much paper that was jammed in the cutter. I plugged it back in and then toggled it back and forth from forward to reverse mode trying to dislodge any more jammed paper.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Does the shredder have a reverse feature?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 12,857 times
This works for me.
Unplug the power, pour some water on the paper (to soften the paper), wait a few minutes, power on (make sure no water gets to the power plug), insert 1 or 2 paper and see if it shred it with the softened paper. You may need to forward and reverse a few times.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafarm View Post
This works for me.
Unplug the power, pour some water on the paper (to soften the paper), wait a few minutes, power on (make sure no water gets to the power plug), insert 1 or 2 paper and see if it shred it with the softened paper. You may need to forward and reverse a few times.
Interesting. I may give this a try because it does make sense to try and soften the paper. It's on those teeth like cement. I do have reverse on the machine which hadn't helped my current predicament. I can keep the water away from the power plug but won't the water harm the motor?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 12,857 times
Reverse/forward won't help when it totally stuck.

Just a few drops to soften the paper that stuck in the teeth. The motor isn't exposed outside, I don't see how the water can get in there.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:54 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
I've never tried water.

What I have done is use a pair of tweezers to patiently pick out the paper, a few strands at a time. Be careful about the forward/reverse trick, it will work, but it can also burn the motor.

Whether you should buy a new shredder is up to you. I've tried that too. I think you'd have to buy one that costs several hundred dollars to avoid this problem. The fact is that the smaller units are prone to jamming if you're not careful when you're feeding paper. It's such a boring job, and so tempting to try to push the machine just a little bit harder!

Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
What you are suppose to do is buy some sort of cheap oil (the cooking kind is usually pretty cheap). LIGHTLY wet a piece of paper and shred it BEFORE shredding anything that day... that's suppose to prolong the life of your shredder since the oil will lubricate the gears and help prevent paper from clogging the system... it may be already too late for that shredder though...

Old 05-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What you are suppose to do is buy some sort of cheap oil (the cooking kind is usually pretty cheap). LIGHTLY wet a piece of paper and shred it BEFORE shredding anything that day... that's suppose to prolong the life of your shredder since the oil will lubricate the gears and help prevent paper from clogging the system... it may be already too late for that shredder though...
That sounds brilliant! I'll give that a try if I ever get this thing running again.
Thanks for all the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House