Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,490,217 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I ever experienced something like this.

My fiance and I just moved into a new rental home in a fairly dense suburb neighborhood. (Small town, but dense neighborhood with houses pretty close to one another) We have only been here about a month now, and someone has cut our grass three times. The strangest part of this is our lawn is one of the biggest on the block, probably easily a $25-30$ cut job.

We are very confused about this. I have seen the guy twice, early twenty something guy on a rider mower. At first I thought maybe it was our landlord's lawn care guy since he has someone that takes care of his properties and maybe he was cutting our lawn for us. Except the next time I saw him he was also across the street cutting a lawn over there, then he drove across the street and cut our lawn... maybe it's a neighbor?

I haven't had the chance to go out and talk to the person yet (obvious solution.. I know...) and it doesn't appear to be someone that my landlord has hired. Has anyone experienced something like this? What is going on with this?

EDIT: I have someone scheduled to come next week. If I see the other guy come again I'll go out and talk with him, but I'm just very confused this is happening in the first place... Any thoughts?

EDIT 2: Just in case anyone asks, the mystery person cutting the lawn is not even doing a complete job. Just a very quick 20 minute cut with the rider mower, missing a lot of smaller areas and not going close to our house. Basically just cutting the larger areas then leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,354,897 times
If you're renting and it's not in your contract to maintain the yard then the landlord is responsible and that may why you see the fellow mowing your yard. The other homes he's mowing may be rentals also or the homeowners saw him cutting and hired him to cut theirs. Ask him.
If you're in an HOA they may possible have a regular lawn service for the area.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,099,727 times
If he's on a rider cutting small lots, maybe it's easier for him to cut that part vs trying to turn around before getting to your yard?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:03 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,888,948 times
It's a simple email and phone call to the landlord. Why don't you do that first?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
Just walk out there, wave your hand, introduce yourself and ask him if he is working for the landlord.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
My Dad always snowblowed the neighbors sidewalks but he knew them for decades, he could do the whole street in very little time. Maybe he's just being a nice guy, trying to keep things looking nice on his street, bored etc.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:45 AM

9,347 posts, read 13,984,064 times
Walk out and ask the person cutting the lawn what he would charge to keep doing so, and to do the additional work you require. Not a difficult solution by any means. And being neighborly is not completely a concept of the past.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:47 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,643,355 times
It's a shame you haven't talked to this good deed doer. Perhaps he was just being nice, needs money and was hoping for a tip, or figured he'd do a little bit for free and then you might hire him to do a more thorough job. The nice thing to do would be to talk to him and find out what the deal is.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:09 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,790,178 times
Sometimes landscapers use smaller riders in order to be able to maneuver through gates, etc.

I mow my own lawn, but my neighbors who don't all use the same landscaper. So seeing the guy mowing other lawns doesn't seem all that unusual to me. He might park his truck/trailer down the street and zip around on the mower to do each lawn. That's what the guy does here.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:21 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,998,325 times
I was going to say maybe he is a neighbor and doing it so all of the lawns on that street look nice . some people appreciate a nice looking neighborhood . I have see it all over , one house on a street of nice homes , you always have that one nasty house whom no one ever takes care of and it brings the whole appeal of the neighborhood down .So maybe he has seen that as well and does not want that to happen to the neighborhood .Could be just a nice guy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House