Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Er so what would you if Fido did not respond to more 'humane' methods? Put him down?
What's the matter with you, didn't you know you can shop at the Super Store For Magically Perfect Pets and buy a dog that is already pre-trained to be perfect? As a bonus, they don't pee or poop or bark or dig or shed hair, either.

Me, I like a challenge. I went to the Store For Recycled Pets and got me one that someone else had returned because they were too lazy to take care of her. Yeah, I have to untrain some bad habits but my recycled dog "knows" I saved her and she's become a very sweet dog (well, other than the digging lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Huh, that's one I hadn't heard yet. Going to have to try it, thanks!
If you're going to do something like this please please check with your vet first on how short is too short. your dog's nails should not be so short they cause pain.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
What's the matter with you, didn't you know you can shop at the Super Store For Magically Perfect Pets and buy a dog that is already pre-trained to be perfect? As a bonus, they don't pee or poop or bark or dig or shed hair, either.

Me, I like a challenge. I went to the Store For Recycled Pets and got me one that someone else had returned because they were too lazy to take care of her. Yeah, I have to untrain some bad habits but my recycled dog "knows" I saved her and she's become a very sweet dog (well, other than the digging lol).
My two came from the exact same recycled store.

If the only "bad" thing my dogs do is dig then i consider myself pretty darn lucky. Another suggestion for dealing with diggers is give them/him/her their own spot to dig (sand box, special spot in the yard) similar to having just one spot to potty.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
My two came from the exact same recycled store.

If the only "bad" thing my dogs do is dig then i consider myself pretty darn lucky. Another suggestion for dealing with diggers is give them/him/her their own spot to dig (sand box, special spot in the yard) similar to having just one spot to potty.
Yep, it's pretty much the only bad thing she still does. She loves every single human on the planet, rarely barks without good reason, doesn't make messes in the house...

...well, there was that incident with eating the sock on New Year's Eve and the trip to the emergency vet late at night, but I've forgiven her for that one.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Er so what would you if Fido did not respond to more 'humane' methods? Put him down?
I don't get your point with this question. I would NEVER put an animal down because MY ability to train the animal was not working. Thats my fault not his.

Personally, I only have small dogs, I have never had a problem keeping control of them and making sure they behave.
I would NOT use a shock collar, there are always other ways to deal with an animal.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I have felt the shock collar on my bare fingers which are very sensitive. While not pleasant, it isn't painful either. Thru fur, it is even less so. It isn't like the shock you get from an electrical outlet, which I have also felt. It is more startling than anything.

What it does that few people can successfully do, is give a correction for every transgression, so the dog learns faster. You also train the dog what the warning beep, which is audible only, means and that comes before the correction. Only the stubborn dog gets a shock and it isn't much of a shock. They get more discomfort from the jerk on the collar to leash train them, and they are fine with that. It isn't cruel. And a lot of dogs never get a shock at all - the beep being sufficient warning.

My dogs get to have lots of exercise and be safe from dog stupidity of running in traffic. They can't dig under, either, but a stubborn dog can do a run thru. If it was really painful, no dog would ever do the run thru. Fortunately, my brat only did that when I was on the other side of the fence - never any other time. I also never trusted the fence when I wasn't home.

Really, sticky traps to starve and thirst to death mice is much crueler.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:09 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Get Rid Of Him!
would love to.........the kids would be heartbroken! I used and assortment of peppers and even put tobasco in a spray bottle and diluted it with water........this was 3 days ago and the dog hasn't dug out since......

the whole problem is this.........the dog digs to escape the fence and we live on a busy street! My wife is afraid the dog will get hit by a car or stolen and used to train pit bulls(dog fighting is a problem in our area). So, she wants the mut to LIVE in the house! This, I will not let happen because she is not a good pet owner. She never plays with or grooms the dog. So it is flea infested! So, we have a problem...............

Last edited by Historic Bessemer; 01-22-2008 at 12:19 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
would love to.........the kids would be heartbroken! I used and assortment of peppers and even put tobasco in a spray bottle and diluted it with water........this was 3 days ago and the dog hasn't dug out since......

the whole problem is this.........the dog digs to escape the fence and we live on a busy street! My wife is afraid the dog will get hit by a car or stolen and used to train pit bulls(dog fighting is a problem in our area). So, she wants the mut to LIVE in the house! This, I will not let happen because she is not a good pet owner. She never plays with or grooms the dog. So it is flea infested! So, we have a problem...............
Get frontline Plus- one application a month and he will be flea and tick free.
Get a furminator brush and simple comb. Work his coat once a week and he shouldn't be that much of a pain to keep indoors. I'm sorry but your family is his pack and I understand his digging to escape if he is left outside all the time.
Also if, as you say, your wife is not a good pet owner, then if your kids want to keep the animal they can be assigned grooming and bathing duty so that he does not make your house into a mess.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times
Quote:
Get frontline Plus- one application a month and he will be flea and tick free.
Get a furminator brush and simple comb. Work his coat once a week and he shouldn't be that much of a pain to keep indoors. I'm sorry but your family is his pack and I understand his digging to escape if he is left outside all the time.
Also if, as you say, your wife is not a good pet owner, then if your kids want to keep the animal they can be assigned grooming and bathing duty so that he does not make your house into a mess.
the kids are 3 and 5........all this sounds good........truth is, she nor I have time for a pet that needs any attention, I work from 2 till 1am and spend all my time in the day trying to keep her in the fence and wife gets home at 6:30 at night after picking up the kids, then it's eat, read, bathe and to bed! Maybe when it gets warmer the kids can go outside and play with the dog! We have an indoor cat that is no problem(never been outside)..........the dog has always been outside and now she wants to bring it inside............don't think so!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
the kids are 3 and 5........all this sounds good........truth is, she nor I have time for a pet that needs any attention, I work from 2 till 1am and spend all my time in the day trying to keep her in the fence and wife gets home at 6:30 at night after picking up the kids, then it's eat, read, bathe and to bed! Maybe when it gets warmer the kids can go outside and play with the dog! We have an indoor cat that is no problem(never been outside)..........the dog has always been outside and now she wants to bring it inside............don't think so!
It really doesn't sound like either you or the dog are happy at this point. the digging may be aggravating the issue but if both of you don't have the time to give a pet attention then the dog may really be better off somewhere else. I know the kids will be unhappy but seriously how about the dog's needs??

If you do decide to give him/her up do look into rescue services. There are rescue services for different breeds who will take your dog, retrain it and relocate it with a good family.

This is a hard thing to have to deal with but a dog needs time and attention. Think honestly to yourself if you are being fair to the animal. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House