U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,401 times

Advertisements

I've put chicken wire, wood, i've dug the trench, and had other pieces of wood in front of the place that my dogs keep digging out of, PLUS my husband stacked about 8 tires in front of the spot and then from the neighbors side we've put concrete blocks in front of where they keep getting out at, and they STILL get out, in the same spot..... HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM

15,819 posts, read 31,771,034 times
1. Concrete. ready mix is pretty cheap. Just dump several bags in the hole, soak it and let it cure. No more diggin there. It will nto be strong done that way, but you do not need strong, just too hard to dig. You want it soft enough to remove if you ever want it gone. You might use post hole mix. It is cheaper and softer. Easier to break up if you need to remove it. You do nto need to fill the whole hole with ready mix, fill it with dirt and put concrete in the top 4-6".

2. Cut off the dog's front paws.

3. We used to bury our dog's poo anyway so we woudl just bury it long the fence. That way no matter where they tried to dig , they woudl hit poop. The can smell it long before they hit it so they do nto dig it up.

4. You can buy socks and boots for dogs. They cannot dig if they are shod.

6. Anything that they cannot dig through will stop them. You can buty a piece of 4" PVC alon the fence (about 2"-3" inside the fence line. Put it near the surface.

You could dig a trench all the way along the base of the fence and put concrete in it up to and over the bottom of the fence. I had to do this for the chicken cop to keep raccoons and foxes and coyotes out.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,383 times
Well there are training methods that you have highlighted previously and there are several products to try. These products range from tie out chains that limit mobility, or products that keep the dog from escaping once he digs. An internet search can help you with that.... Usually a walk a day helps quite a bit too.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM

16,888 posts, read 19,746,214 times
Unfortunately, this was how our dog was hit by a car. The only thing that would have stopped her was if we monitered her more carefully while she was in the back yard. We constantly plugged up the places where she could see daylight under the fence, with spikes and bricks, but if she put her mind to it, she found another spot and squeezed under. We found her dead, without a scratch on her. So sad.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,451 times
I wouldn't go with the chicken wire. I did that and it worked for a while but my dog got desperate and dug around it, managed to get out and while doing so cut a huge gash on her leg. $200 to get her leg fixed and now I'm still trying to find a good solution for her not to escape.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,266,005 times
You could dig a trench all the way along the base of the fence and bury 2ft of chain link fencing.

Some of our kennels are done this way and we have yet to have a digger escape from these kennels.

and add a invisible fence, then when your dog gets close to the fence it will get a reminder to stay away.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM

4,068 posts, read 3,627,796 times
Maybe our dogs are just "easy" but I had heard that if you buried their feces in the holes they dug that they wouldn't dig there anymore. It worked even for a little terrier trying to dig her way to China. I had never seen a dog so determined and quick and I thought she would bury herself alive!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM

8,384 posts, read 7,237,233 times
Can you afford to put rocks around the inside of your fencing? Those would deter him. Otherwise the experts say dig down about 6" and attach the chicken wired fencing the other poster mentions. You could put him on a lead when you aren't sitting outside that allows him to roam around just short of the fence.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Get Rid Of Him!
What an asinine thing to say. Perhaps YOUR parents should have dumped YOU out on the street when you misbehaved.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,145 times
Dig a 6 inch trench under and in front of the fence and pour a thin layer of sacrete. It stopped my two dogs from digging out. Relitively inexpensive.

Last edited by jagershouse; 03-03-2013 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House