Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
There are breeds that are very easy in family situations like yours. Newfoundlands for instance would be the best baby sitter you could ever hope to meet. Big, slobbery (and short-lived) but so sweetly protective of children and very happy to be beta to even the little ones.
So True but I would say that your family has no room for a dog, no matter what kind. A dog will try to be dominant without appropriate training and until you have the time or inclination to train the animal it can be a hazard and it will definitely be an unhappy pet.

I agree with the previous poster - show this thread to your better half and ask her to at least have a look at the whole thing. No one is happy with the situation and hanging on to the animal for no actual reason is doing all of you a disservice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,294 times
i have a one and a half bull dog who is forever digging under the fence and always trying to get out,the vet said to have him fixed and that would calm hom down but it hasnt worked,he still tries to get out,there is another dog in the fence so hes not by himself, what can i do

Old 05-02-2009, 12:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I dont know if this will help anyone or not but sure worked on my dads dog . my dad digs up under the fence and he puts bricks under the fence so that when and if the dog starts digging the dogs nails get sore and they stop digging in the ground period it worked and my dad got the suggestion from his vet . i hope this helps someone .

Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
What I do is take a pice of stifff wire fencing and ut it so the it has spkies sticking down. Then I dig neaxt to the fence about 6 inches and stick the spikes into the graound and attcah the othe part to the bottom of the fence. Thenh when they start to dig they run inot this barrier .Worked for me. After awhile they just gave up bascially.Then of course depending on teh breed you'll findout how well they climb.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 18,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Not too derail the topic but I would not put a shock collar on an animal, I think they are cruel.
I would not have a dog that I was unable to control or train without this kind of device.
I had a situation with a dog who would dig out of a chain link fenced area. While the electric fence may have been "not nice" it would be a lot worse if the dog were to get hit by a car or otherwise lost. I had to do something expeditiously to protect the dog. By using the electric fence, we were able to keep him secure.
After moving, when he was older, I strung the wire along the bottom of a temporary fence, but without the electricity.
There are insulated standoffs for chain link fences. The cheap type of transformer is preferable, as a dog can sense if a farm fence is on. (Anyone who lived in a farm area would be familiar with the pulsing that cattle fences make.) Obviously, the insulated standoffs aren't necessary for a fake electric fence.
That said, the reason I'm here is to see what is necessary for non-electric perimeter fencing. So far it looks like pavers and stockwire (large gauge chickenwire).

Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,660 times
ha, remove the fence.......

Old 03-16-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,433 times
My dog only digs under the gate to escape. Since it's under the gate, I can't block it with something heavy, but I've tried other things. I've tried putting her poop in the hole, I've buried cement blocks under the gait AND I've buried chicken wire - all at the same time. My dog can no longer escape, but she can't be left in the backyard unattended for more than 10 minutes without her trying to escape. She's there when I return, but so is a big, ugly hole in the ground. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Since it's at a gate, I'd dig down about 4", about 2' in and 1' outside the gate and pour a concrete pad. I'd also go beyond the gate to discourage digging on the side of the pad. Chances are that your dog will just find a new spot to dig, but you'll have a nice pad at your gate.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,154 times
Default you b !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Get Rid Of Him!
they are a part of your family ! NOT DISPOSABLE!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
install one of the electronic perimeter fence things a little inside your fence and the collar will take care of business. However, they are quite pricey.
No they're not. $50 for the unit and a few bucks for the wire and insulators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House