Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 PM

190 posts, read 283,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've seen older vinyl siding shatter when hit by a baseball. It can be fine for a few years, but the lifespan isn't there. Had to chuckle about the "never heard of winter" comment. There is a firm in Vermont making manufactured housing that has heating costs of under $200 - for the entire Vermont winter.
After 15 20 yrs vinyl can become faded and brittle from sun exposure (I'll wager southern states see more of it than those in the north).

I would not get a dark sided vinyl - beige,white, tan will not show fade as much.

A baseball hit = minor damage repair and a 30 min fix.

Have a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 02:57 PM

23,509 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Yeah, I wouldn't take you up on that bet. The sun exposure can be brutal in the south. There is a reason that a lot of southern homes are stucco exteriors.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,888,176 times
We had a top of the line modular home built and that was based on reviews from the paperback modular/mobile home review book I bought.

Modular so enjoy the same insurance considerations as stick built homes, the same amount of free utility poles, and they don't depreciate like manufactured homes.

I have learned, I am not allowed to make recommendations on this forum because I haven't posted enough to times. That is why I am not "naming names"

We were relocating out of state for retirement. Not knowing the reputation of the builders and sub contractors in the area, is why we decided on a modular.

That was 12 years ago and there still isn't anything wrong with the house.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,105,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Take a look at these homes....pretty nice!

The Lifestyle Collection - Choose A Manufactured, Modular and Mobile Home from Clayton Homes

And would someone who knows what they're talking about take a look at this page (on construction of Clayton manufactured homes) and tell me how this would be different from, or a lesser quality than, a stick-built home. I really like Clayton's floor plans and style, but would not want a sorry home....less expensive, yes, not-top-quality-but-not-lowest-quality, yes, but not sorry. You see, this would by my retirement home, or "golden age years" home....we might need it for 25 or so more years, and as long as it lasted that long, I'd be happy.

Clayton Homes - America's Largest Home Builder
Back when we were looking at these types of homes (years ago), the builders had people who acted as reps, so you could walk through one that had weathered the test of time and use. You might look to see if they still have these?

Old 10-08-2016, 01:25 AM

12 posts, read 9,419 times
Just some general thoughts...be it Clayton or any other MH manufacturer.

A) Vinyl Siding.........I'm not against. It's just that most mobile manufacturers use the cheapest

stuff available...and THEN it is place over OSB sheating. OSB absorbs moisture.

So after a few years, you get this "wavy" look on the side of your MH.

B) Financing.............I know one of the commenators mentioned "Vanderbilt".

Note: You are going to pay more in interest rate for a mobile home.

Many, many lenders will not touch a mobile home with a 10' pole.

And if you want to get a home equity loan later in the life of the

loan....well don't hold your breath.

C) Insurance............Expect to pay more....and I mean more for insurance on a MH.

Personally, I don't think it's fair, but what it is..................it is.

D) Quality................I know this is a very....VERY GENERAL statement.........

But most mobile home manufactures use the cheapest of materials.

The following though is FACT, not OPINION:

Mobile home are SLAPPED TOGETHER. Production crews are held to a

very rigid timeline. Bonuses are based on production. I can see it all

over in my mobile home......screws crooked, cabinets pieced together

with scraps (lower kitchen cabinets). I insides of my bathroom cabinets

were not even painted....raw OSB board.

Thanks for reading.

In summary, would I buy a mobile home again?

No.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,620,071 times
I would never get a new mobile/manufactured home on a rented lot, I also would never get one on my own lot. I would get a modular home. In the neighborhood I live in there is one double wide and it looks like a mobile home, doesn't fit in with the neighborhood either. It just looks cheap and worse then all the other old homes from the 1940s. The cheap white plastic or vinyl skirting makes it look worse.

It's also odd that it's about 2000 square feet and only a 2/2. I hope it has 2 huge master suites because that seems like a lot of wasted space if not. Some regular homes in the area have 3 bedrooms in 1000 sq ft.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 648 times
I'm living in one now. Built in 1983 its kinda old. It looked great until I moved in. Didn't take long to find nothing worked. Otherwise it looked great. Walk through don't show internal damage. Renter beware.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,588,794 times
Mobile home manufacturers have stepped their game up in comparison to 10-20 years ago so if you are comparing a MH made in the late 80s early 90s to today you will see a huge increase in quality. But.... that increase in quality still doesn't bring them on par with a stick built home. There really isn't a substitute if you want quality and durability.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:07 AM

571 posts, read 555,759 times
But is that comparing dollar for dollar? I know that yes there are some very well built stick homes. But they are much more costly than a comparably sized mobile home, at least in this area. To get something built at that price level, is there a significant difference? Would you not be more likely to find them using SIPs in those situations? How much is the quality difference due to the foundation type?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:27 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,588,794 times
It's difficult to make an exact comparison but keep in mind that there is a price level difference for a reason. Otherwise stick built homes would be as cheap. We have quotes for both as we were recently in the market and considered a MH in order to buy more land.

In my area, you can purchase an 1,800 sqf 3 bed 2 ba manufactured home for $60k ($30/sqf). A similarly built home can be purchased from a local home builder (standard floorplan) for about $165k ($91.67/sqf).

A couple things off the top of my head..... (besides the foundation difference and I am comparing a new MH to a new stick built).

subfloor:
MH - particle board (Nova deck)
SB - 3/4" plywood

flooring:
MH - carpet (You are at the mercy of the manufacturer and whatever discounted carpet they used at the time) - thin and not always 10% continuous loop nylon with stain resistance. Also tend to use a thinner padding underneath and often stands the walls up on TOP of the carpet instead of using tack strips to stop the carpet at the wall. There is an option for laminate flooring for an upcharge. Vinyl flooring in the wet areas.

SB - Comes standard with real hardwood in a variety of choices. Also comes standard with 18x18 ceramic tile in the wet areas.

Walls:

MH - 3/8" VOG (Vinyl on Gypsum) in some models, and 3/8" sheetrock in more expensive models.
SB - 1/2" sheetrock, taped and textured with rounded corners

Ceiling -
MH - popcorn
SB - smooth ceilings

Trim -
MH - paper covered MDF
SB - Wood

Plumbing -
MH - standard Pex tubing
SB - PVC

HVAC -
MH - 3 ton builders grade unit. 15 seer (Goodman in this instance). Flex duct exposed under the home instead of crossover duct.
SB - 3.5 ton Carrier Performer series, 18 seer (this is their builders grade). Flex duct in the attic.

Cabinets -
MH - Particle board with paper laminate coating. Formica countertops.
SB - Choice between cherry or oak solid wood cabinets. Granite countertops.

Fixtures -
MH - offbrand generic fixtures
SB - Choice between Delta or Moen water fixtures, and choice of name brand lighting and fan fixtures

Sinks -
MH - Plastic top mount
SB - Choice between ceramic or stainless undermount

Tubs -
MH - plastic/ABS
SB - Fiberglass

Shower -
MH - plastic/ABS
SB - walk in shower with glass door and faux marble panels

Interior Doors -
MH - 32" hollow core laminate
SB - 32" solid core wood doors

Exterior Doors
MH - 32" standard steel entry doors
SB - 36" choice of steel or solid wood entry doors

Windows -
MH - Vinyl, single pane vertical
SB - Vinyl, double pane Low-E

Those are some of the obvious differences that we went over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House