Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,439 times

Advertisements

I recently moved back into my 10 yr old AR house. I have several floor tiles throughout the house (kitchen & bathroom)that have come loose. I removed one of the 12x12 ceramic tiles used throughout the house from the bathroom floor and revealed a crack aprox .050"-1/16" wide (measured with hex wrench) and aprox 1/2" deep. It continues in both directions under tiles still in place. Also in the kitchen I have a "fairly" straight-line crack running diagonally through 4 connected tiles. I'm afraid my 'simple' do-it-yourself tile repair project has turned into an ugly problem. Not sure what my next step or fix should be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Read the below and then call a reputable foundation company to inspect.

How to Evaluate Home Foundation Problems | Today's Homeowner

Tips for Hiring a Foundation Repair Contractor

How to Hire a Foundation Repair Contractor

Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
That was the first sign that my house had foundation problems, cracks running diagonally across the ceramic tile.

Do you have doors that stick or cracks in the corners of doorframes and windowsills? Cracks visible outside in the part of the foundation you can see? Siding pulling apart or cracking in the corners where the nails are?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 10,439 times
Nope, none of the indicators you mention.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larhom View Post
Nope, none of the indicators you mention.
Before anyone can accurately repair (if possible, as opposed to replace) you first need to determine the reason for the crack to begin with. Therefore the engineer is where you need to start to determine settlement cracks vs. major foundational problems. You might get away with a very experienced tile man but it would be predicated upon what that experience was/is. Since this seems to be in more than one place, my assumption would be foundational in some manner, shape or form. Since you are using a hex wrench as a measuring tool, I would suggest you hire a professional. If you throw good money after and you will be very disappointed.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 01-22-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,350 times
Quote:
I recently moved back into my 10 yr old AR house. I have several floor tiles throughout the house (kitchen & bathroom)that have come loose. I removed one of the 12x12 ceramic tiles used throughout the house from the bathroom floor and revealed a crack aprox .050"-1/16" wide (measured with hex wrench) and aprox 1/2" deep. It continues in both directions under tiles still in place. Also in the kitchen I have a "fairly" straight-line crack running diagonally through 4 connected tiles. I'm afraid my 'simple' do-it-yourself tile repair project has turned into an ugly problem. Not sure what my next step or fix should be...

For an old house, this would not necessarily be an indication of foundation problems but you say your house is only 10 years old and it is abnormal. Very abnormal.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,964 times
Quote:
I have done one other project at friend's house where linoleum tiles were removed and then the plywood/osb that they were sitting upon was used as a wooden base for the ceramic tiles. everything fine and dandy in two years and this area was the most used in the house i.e. front porch that also connected the living room to the upstairs bedrooms.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
No need to panic yet.

If it's only 1/16 " wide and a 1/2 inch deep and 10 years old, I'm thinking that it's shrinkage from when the concrete was poured. I would fill the cracks with concrete patch and then put new tile over it.

If you have problems after doing that, then you may have expansive soil or a bad foundation and then you will have to call the experts out.

I personally wouldn't be scared of a 1/16 of and inch crack as a house settles slowly as it ages so you're going to get cracks everywhere.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:54 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
That might work but if the floor settles more the cracks could move more and re-crack the tiles. Best to remove all the thin set around the cracks and glue down some crack suppression paper over the cracks then reinstall the tile. Great and inexpensive insurance incase the floor settles some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House