Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:55 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,426,600 times

Advertisements

In the ideal world, I would be able to find one ladder that fit all these descriptions:

Has the bracket so I don't have to lean it on the gutters (or it can be easily taken off or put on).
Folds up to about 6' or less for storage.
Holds at least 275# of gear and person, safely.
Can be used as an A-shape ladder or a straight ladder.
In A-shape form, can go up at least 9', ideally 12'.

I don't think it exists. I think my only solution is two separate conventional ladders, one A-shape and one extension with the bracket. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 AM

44,590 posts, read 61,412,482 times
Have you looked into "little Giant ladders? They have several sizes and functions.
LITTLE GIANT Multipurpose Ladder, Aluminum, 10 ft. 14010-001 - G4995627 at Zoro

Old 05-28-2015, 05:52 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times
Cosco ladders are similar... I own one and my major complaint is that they are HEAVY.

Cosco Products | Specialty Ladders

I finally broke down and bought myself an "inside" ladder because maneuvering my Cosco inside was a huge pain, and then I realized what a heavy pig it really was since the new ladder was only 11lb. I can't find specs on my specific ladder, but a similar unit is 61lbs. Plenty of other multi purpose ladders out there, just do a search (or use the Zoro link above, they have plenty and are a good/reputable company that I've personal ordered from).

As for the gutter brace, there's bound to be a universal that fits if there isn't one made specific for the ladder you might buy.

Be warned, you're going to pay for the convenience. Don't be shocked if you see prices $600 and more.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:49 AM

17,444 posts, read 65,798,103 times
Yeap, Little Giant or Gorilla Ladder.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Thank you all. I will investigate these.

I can deal with heavy a lot better than I can deal with bulky. Although my mind constructs the natural rejoinder: "I said that too, then I had to horse this thing around and changed my mind." So I had probably better think about that aspect as well, because I'm not of above average strength. Plus, the heavier it is, the more awkward it is to maneuver.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Looking at the Little Giant, what I can see doing is attaching the bracket on one side (the side opposite the side with the extra base braces, naturally). At worst, when in A-ladder configuration, it'd mean I needed a little more room for the back side. But it would mean that it went from A-ladder to extension ladder with bracket in very short order, and if need be, repeatedly during the same job as the situation demanded.

As I see it, yeah, one pays for convenience, but I'd be ponying up nearly $300 for two really good ladders anyway, and they'd both be a lot more awkward to haul around and store. If an extra $150 or so can get me something I really like, and is only one relatively small item to store, I think that sounds like serious win.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:29 PM

138 posts, read 129,264 times
We own a Little Giant ladder. My husband and I call it the "little heavy bast*rd". No, really. We call it that every time we refer to it.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome ladder. It's invaluable when working on stairs, because you can adjust each leg length individually. It's also a very tall stepladder when used as such, much taller than a standard stepladder height. I painted our 14' ceiling while using the ladder at its max stepladder height. It's also very sturdy and stable, so it doesn't wobble easily.

I think it only has a couple of drawbacks, besides being very heavy (and therefore difficult and awkward to tote around). One, the rungs are very narrow, and my feet quickly get sore standing on them. This is less of an issue when used at normal stepladder heights, as the ladder is basically "doubled up" on most rungs (from being partially collapsed), but it's very uncomfortable when the ladder is extended to greater heights. Two, using it as a straight ladder is a pain in the rear that usually takes both of us to accomplish. This is because "opening" the ladder from a stepladder configuration to a straight ladder configuration is a difficult maneuver, and then lifting that ladder to be upright against a wall is difficult given that the ladder is much heavier than many straight ladders.

In the end, I would never give it up. We seldom need a straight ladder, but must have one for those rare times, and it's invaluable for dealing with our stairwell/other stair situations and as a tall stepladder for our 14' high ceiling. However, when I had a chance last year to get a cheap stepladder made of light fiberglass, I jumped on it. I use that one for most general indoor situations like painting average rooms. I can carry it with one hand, and it's much easier to pull out when the good ladder isn't strictly needed for a special situation.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:24 AM

Yeah, I noticed it's over forty pounds. Or, in terms I understand well enough, about the weight of three half-racks of beer. I can carry that, but it would be awkward, and tough to maneuver in the house.

I used to have a very good extension ladder with bracket, and while I found it a monster to haul around, for outdoor stuff it was a winner. Thing is, I could not get one of those in the house without banging stuff around--it was something like ten feet long in its shortest setup.

The weight might be reassuring in one way: I'm rather afraid of heights, though I refuse to give in to it and hire someone to do something I can easily do myself if I can just force myself to make the transition from ladder to roof. (That takes me some time to nerve myself up to, but I can do it.) A heavier ladder, while clunky to move around, will probably have a psychological benefit of feeling sturdier.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:21 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
A heavier ladder, while clunky to move around, will probably have a psychological benefit of feeling sturdier.
lol, don't kid yourself... there's a hinge right in the middle of the thing and it feels LESS stable than a similar rating (type 1A for me) extension ladder. There is no benefit to the weight, it's all negative.

I'd take a very specific set of circumstances for me to get rid of mine too though. I imagine the final straw will simply be old age and an inability to handle it safely by myself. As it is, I'm reaching the limit of being able to extend and lift it by myself (I extend it the yard where I can set it down and then lift where I can lean it on the house). But, to be fair, I need help with a 30' extension ladder anyway.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:59 PM

621 posts, read 1,117,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
lol, don't kid yourself... there's a hinge right in the middle of the thing and it feels LESS stable than a similar rating (type 1A for me) extension ladder. There is no benefit to the weight, it's all negative.
I see things differently. My $.02...The hinge has never given me an uneasy feeling and provides a much stronger ladder shape when used as an A ladder. I can walk a fiberglass ladder with ease while on it due to the flex and hinge assy but can't with my little giant. F/G ladders can easily be set out of square and cause an unexpected shift where that has never happened for me on a little giant.

As far as the weight, I don't find it burdensome and figure strength is the byproduct. If it was lighter, I probably never would have bought one...not strong enough. Don't know if they still make one but little giant used to make a shorter fiberglass version of the same design. Talk about heavy, ugh.

MeeMee is right about the narrow rungs on an extended LG. A suitable work boot is needed if you're going to spend long time on it.

Little giant makes a great product. If you need a ladder, consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House