Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what home owners think about this lawsuit

Welcome to 'The Snake House': Lawsuit claims Annapolis-area home infested with snakes - Capital Gazette

In a nutshell, a couple bought a house in Maryland for $410,000. They had to move out because house is infected with black rat snakes and are suing for $2million or they want their money back and the house returned. They claim real the estate agent (who is the daughter of the seller) did not disclose snake infestation. They cannot live in the house with their two children because its not safe for kids. They are suing real estate agent and broker and home inspector.

Prior home history: one family member raised family there for 20 years, renters lived there for 4 years, another family only rented for a year or so before leaving. Everyone saw some snakes. These snakes are incredibly common in Maryland.

Seller claims she had pest control out for snakes, including infrared and home was treated.

Also, neighbor told buyers that house had snakes, so buyers hired inspector who didn't find them.

The story is a bit complicated, but I've lived in Maryland I can tell you rat snakes are incredibly common. They're not venomous (not that I want them in my house).

Also, most people, especially if you live in rural MD, have them in their walls and don't know it.

I think I'd be a bit more worried about the mice/rats that snakes were eating. In MD, if you have snakes, it's because they have food (mice/rats) and you'd remove the food source and leave the snakes alone, for the most part.

This is reason number 152 why I don't do a lot of renovations on my houses--just never know what you're going to find.

Anyway, what do you think? Did the seller have to legally disclose? Or did she do enough by having the house treated? Is it unreasonable to have the seller tear about the house to find the snakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
Get a few cats....

Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
well I have seen occasionally one just outside our house and I think that is OK but it looks like this house is seriously messed up and seller must have taken care of it (simply treating it means nothing if it didn't work) or disclose it fully (which will bring the price down quite a lot - I am not sure if that happened) when he/she sold it. You cannot live in a house where you find a snake almost every month that too inside!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:35 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Would consider suing all parties involved, including the agent and exterminator.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
So I guess the folks in Maryland are too stupid to get rid of the rats so the snakes go away. Must be sumthin in the wader. Those snakes aren't living on their good looks, they're eating something and it's obvious that they are feasting on a huge population of rats or lizards. But then, that would be using common sense. As my step dad would say "stupid people shouldn't breed".
Black Rat Snake | The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore

Old 05-31-2015, 06:39 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
uuuglk! Blechh!!!

I'd burn the house to the ground.

seriously, uglk!!!! I get the creeps even thinking about it.
I couldnt read the article, I might not sleep tonight.

this is one of those reasons I like city living so much better.......

Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I'm not entirely convinced that the seller knew the house was actually infested. I mean, the homeowners didn't know until they started ripping out the ceiling and walls.

I also think that if the buyer's snake inspector didn't find any snakes, why would the seller be able to find them?

I wonder if insurance will cover any of this.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
LOL...the link in the original post is absolutely preposterous!

Old 06-12-2015, 12:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm not entirely convinced that the seller knew the house was actually infested. I mean, the homeowners didn't know until they started ripping out the ceiling and walls.

I also think that if the buyer's snake inspector didn't find any snakes, why would the seller be able to find them?

I wonder if insurance will cover any of this.
There is actually a reason for this. The house was purchased in December. Snakes go underground and hibernate in the winter, typically.

Idaho had a snake house like this too. People bought it in the winter, no snakes, but come spring, snakes started coming out of the drains, etc. They let it go back to the bank. Bank resold it, again in the winter, no snakes, come spring, snakes showed back up. Neither seller disclosed.

In this case, though, it sounds like it might have been disclosed, but the buyer proceeded anyway.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 PM

392 posts, read 919,448 times
I know one thing - common or not, but I would run away screaming even if I saw something that even theoretically looked like a snake, in the house... I would never return... I would move to a different state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House