Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:46 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times

Advertisements

6 months ago, I replaced most lights with LED bulbs, 100 watt equivalents. Now, my lamps are all 15-20 years old. Could it be that they're not right for the LED's? The only ones that are doing fine are the ones being used in new recessed light cans, at least, so far. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:55 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
I've had this issue with LED and CFL, new lamps, old lamps, can lights.. doesn't matter. Heck, I've been through this in 4 different houses in 3 states... fully HALF of the CFL and LED lights fail in the first 6 months. They're always under warranty, but it's a headache to deal with that. Doesn't matter if I spend a bunch of money on name brand or buy store brand/generic.

There's a CREE LED can light sitting on my counter at this very moment that's 4 months old and dead. I understand that lightbulbs were the first item with planned obsolescence, but when I'm replacing every light in the house at least once a year and half of them twice a year it just gets ridiculous. The promise of "energy savings" is right out the window with all the new waste, transportation costs for returns (both mine and the company) landfill/recycling waste, etc...

So I doubt it's you, your lamps or anything You are doing, much less Can do.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've had this issue with LED and CFL, new lamps, old lamps, can lights.. doesn't matter. Heck, I've been through this in 4 different houses in 3 states... fully HALF of the CFL and LED lights fail in the first 6 months. They're always under warranty, but it's a headache to deal with that. Doesn't matter if I spend a bunch of money on name brand or buy store brand/generic.

There's a CREE LED can light sitting on my counter at this very moment that's 4 months old and dead. I understand that lightbulbs were the first item with planned obsolescence, but when I'm replacing every light in the house at least once a year and half of them twice a year it just gets ridiculous. The promise of "energy savings" is right out the window with all the new waste, transportation costs for returns (both mine and the company) landfill/recycling waste, etc...

So I doubt it's you, your lamps or anything You are doing, much less Can do.
All my LED'S are Cree...hmmm....

At $20 a bulb, I'm HUGELY disappointed, p/o'd even. Aren't these bulbs supposed to last for years???

Old 06-13-2015, 11:45 AM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
I have one unit the bulb type is supposed to last 10,000 hours it says. I'm lucky to get a 100 hours before replacement. They are not all what they are cracked up to be. They're probably made overseas in non quality control factories.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Reading posts like this definitely convinces me to delay changing out my "outdated" and energy inefficient incandescent bulbs (cans) for more efficient (and expensive!) LEDs that last 6 months- that doesn't sound very efficient to me.

So far that has been easy with most of those inefficient bulbs being 14 years old and still going strong- I think I've had to replace 2 out of 14 in those years.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:35 PM

So, I'm wondering...with all the research I did on LED bulbs... why didn't this problem ever come to light (forgive the uninteded pun)?

I definitely don't want to go back to incandescent...I feel the heat from those bulbs, and I see the difference in my electric bill.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:59 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So, I'm wondering...with all the research I did on LED bulbs... why didn't this problem ever come to light (forgive the uninteded pun)?

I definitely don't want to go back to incandescent...I feel the heat from those bulbs, and I see the difference in my electric bill.
It could be that you got a bad batch. I decided to update about 75% of my lights with Cree LED bulbs purchased from Home Depot about a year ago. I saved my receipts and the package material so I had the warranty policy handy. One bulb burned out within 10 days. Took it back to Home Depot and got a refund. I have had no issue with any of the other bulbs to date.

Bad batches happen.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:18 PM

283 posts, read 375,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
6 months ago, I replaced most lights with LED bulbs, 100 watt equivalents. Now, my lamps are all 15-20 years old. Could it be that they're not right for the LED's? The only ones that are doing fine are the ones being used in new recessed light cans, at least, so far. Thanks.
Have you had any electrical problems in your home? There could be something in the works that's making your bulbs frizz out quicker than expected.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:39 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Seems to be a well known issue:

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

(This last one is particularly interesting, especially the comments.)

Old 06-13-2015, 02:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
If you look around now, it's gotten pretty difficult to find 75w and above equivalencies. Most stop at 60w. A flaw has been found that the bulbs have a heat dissipation problem and thus now are coming with warnings to not put them in a sealed lamp or a lamp where the heat can't flow away. The ones used for the US market were designed to look like other bulbs used compared to the European high intensity version which does not. Europe stayed with CFLs for lamps and the high intensity ones that have their own fixture.

Tech Talk | SiteLighting.com - Architectural Outdoor Lighting Solutions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House