U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2009, 03:21 PM

322 posts, read 408,822 times

Advertisements

Well, I have laminate wood flooring and recently bought a Steam Mop and just love it! Mine is a Bissell and they claim you can use it on genuine wood floors. It cleans really great. Just fill it with water and wait about 15 minutes to heat up and start mopping. No chemicals nor cleaners needed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,236,013 times
Diluted Murphy's Oil Soap. Our floors are solid oak from the early 1970s; not sure if it's a lacquer, shellac, or varnish finish.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 AM

6,627 posts, read 6,767,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The old guy that finished our hardwood floors in our last house scolded us on Murphy's Oil soap. He said only dilluted vinegar and water, which is what we then used for years. My wife would add a few drops of lemon oil to the bucket as well.

Worked great, no build-up, nice and clean every time (and cheap as heck too).
We just got our hardwood floors refinished and the expert said, "Absolutely, positively do not use Murphy's Oil Soap. He said the hardwood floor industry has bee battling with Murphy's Oil Soap for years and if you'll notice their commercials never show it being used on floors. This was news to me because that's what I've always used. He suggested vinegar and water - though he doesn't like water on wood of Windex without ammonia. I've been using the non-ammonia Windex and it works great.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,196,358 times
Just had our floors finished yesterday with oil poly and the supervisor stated that murphy's is bad stuff. He recommended A gallon of water to a capful of white vinegar for best results.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 19,424 times
I use the Shark steam mop on my poly-finished hardwood floors. The mop removes just about everything, uses protective microfiber pads that you just throw in the washer, and dries INSTANTLY. It is ready to use in 30 seconds! It does not leave a shine, of course, because you're just using water, but it gets the floors so clean that they feel silky underfoot. It is fairly fast. I used to have laminate floors and used the Swiffer wet jet, but it does leave a film that attracts more dirt, and the floors get filthy really quickly, especially with dogs running around. I am much happier with the cleaning power and safety of the Shark, and recommend it VERY highly.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,919,453 times
I personally like the smell of Murphy's (smell does not correlate with toxicity anyway) and would be careful to use white vinegar not cidar, as some of the cidar vinegar can leave a residue which will, over time, stain the places where the finish wears off.

Many things work well if the floor has several coats of good finish, but over time and with kids, dogs, cats, dirt--any finish also wears off and leaves the wood susceptible to whatever get into it.

I would NEVER use a steam cleaner on any wood that I valued, never. Heat plus water ruins the grain.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,919,453 times
I personally like the smell of Murphy's (smell does not correlate with toxicity anyway) and would be careful to use white vinegar not cidar, as some of the cidar vinegar can leave a residue which will, over time, stain the places where the finish wears off.

Many things work well if the floor has several coats of good finish, but over time and with kids, dogs, cats, dirt--any finish also wears off and leaves the wood susceptible to whatever get into it.

I would NEVER use a steam cleaner on any real wood that I valued, never. Heat plus water ruins the grain. By saying laminate, I assume you mean artificial, not real, wood.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM

17,015 posts, read 14,511,787 times
yikes! I've been using a wet swiffer on our wood floors for the last 2 years. I think I'll try diluted vinegar next time. They were not in good shape when we moved in to begin with, so I haven't noticed if I'm doing any damage with the swiffer. I'll be more careful after we get them refinished.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 19,424 times
Polyurethane protects the wood from damage by many things, water included, steam mops for sure. I wouldn't be applying the steam mop to my floors without doing a great deal of research first. The Shark is a high-efficiency, quick-drying mop - see my previous post about it - paying attention to what I said, you will see that it dries instantly. The floors are left in better condition - they look and feel wonderful. There is absolutely no lifting of the grain. THis is because of the polyurethane finish. Do not use steam on any other finish.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:31 PM

79 posts, read 192,990 times
Completely new to wood floor care.
What kind of mop should I use to wash floors with water and vinegar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House