Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:28 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to sell in about a year or two. I've decided to replace the carpet in the living room and family room. I'm debating between carpet or those laminate wood planks that snap together. I have 3 kids and a dog. In my neighborhood, both are used. I'm leaning towards laminate just because, personally, I detest carpet because its so hard to keep clean. Which would you go with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 03:36 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
I personally prefer laminate. However, perhaps you should talk to a realtor for their opinion? I'm thinking with 3 kids and a dog, if you decide to go with carpet, hold off until you're ready to list.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:58 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If I were buying, I'd prefer carpet over laminate.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'm planning to sell in about a year or two. I've decided to replace the carpet in the living room and family room. I'm debating between carpet or those laminate wood planks that snap together. I have 3 kids and a dog. In my neighborhood, both are used. I'm leaning towards laminate just because, personally, I detest carpet because its so hard to keep clean. Which would you go with?

You're selling so what you like is inconsequential. Completely divorce yourself from what you would like as flooring in a house you're selling. Best thing to do is keep the existing carpet till you're ready to sell. Clean it and the house, touch up or repaint and put it up. i would give credit of x $ amount towards carpet AFTER closing escrow.

Truthfully unless you get some quality flooring and good underlayment it's going to feel and sound awful. Most laminate IMO is nothing I would ever install in a place I live in. The good laminate flooring is expensive.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:59 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You're selling so what you like is inconsequential. Completely divorce yourself from what you would like as flooring in a house you're selling. Best thing to do is keep the existing carpet till you're ready to sell. Clean it and the house, touch up or repaint and put it up. i would give credit of x $ amount towards carpet AFTER closing escrow.

Truthfully unless you get some quality flooring and good underlayment it's going to feel and sound awful. Most laminate IMO is nothing I would ever install in a place I live in. The good laminate flooring is expensive.
Well said. Let the buyer decide.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I would prefer the laminate floor over an older, worn carpet. As a buyer in the mid-price range, I don't like carpet in any room other than bedrooms, unless it's on the second floor.

As for resale, I will give you my personal experience. I replaced my old flooring with new, dark wood laminate flooring and it definitely helped sell the house. I not only got my asking price, I got a bit over. Leaving the existing flooring and offering credits? No, I don't think so. The only way that would fly is if you live in one of the hottest sections in town. If you're going to live in the place for a year, why not treat yourself to a newer look? It's not like you're buying it just to sell...you'd enjoy it as well. The wood plank laminates look very much like hardwood floors and I got tons of compliments.

About the only thing I will agree with is that you don't want to go super cheap. But that goes with any type of flooring. Buy a laminate that has a good wear layer, 12" is nice, and don't skimp on the underlayment.

My former master bathroom with wood plank style laminate. Planks are bevel edged and are more defined when up close.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
If you aren't selling for a year or two, then the upgrade is for you, not a theoretical buyer. Get what you prefer - and fwiw, for public areas like a living room and family room, many people prefer a hard surface floor such has hardwood or a nice laminate. You or they can always add an area rug if desired. Get something that fits the price point of your area - for instance, if everyone has solid hardwood, you don't want to get a really inexpensive laminate. But if it's more middle of the road, a decent laminate will be fine.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:36 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I would prefer the laminate floor over an older, worn carpet. As a buyer in the mid-price range, I don't like carpet in any room other than bedrooms, unless it's on the second floor.

As for resale, I will give you my personal experience. I replaced my old flooring with new, dark wood laminate flooring and it definitely helped sell the house. I not only got my asking price, I got a bit over. Leaving the existing flooring and offering credits? No, I don't think so. The only way that would fly is if you live in one of the hottest sections in town. If you're going to live in the place for a year, why not treat yourself to a newer look? It's not like you're buying it just to sell...you'd enjoy it as well. The wood plank laminates look very much like hardwood floors and I got tons of compliments.

About the only thing I will agree with is that you don't want to go super cheap. But that goes with any type of flooring. Buy a laminate that has a good wear layer, 12" is nice, and don't skimp on the underlayment.

My former master bathroom with wood plank style laminate. Planks are bevel edged and are more defined when up close.
How does laminate work in a bathroom?

Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

This.

We ripped our carpet up right after buying our house. I put down laminate throughout the whole house (except for wet areas). Laminate shows dirt so much worse than carpet, and it's a constant battle to sweep. We've noticed ours scratches really easily as well. My son spilled a sippy cup behind the couch and we found it a few days later when we moved them to clean. The laminate de-laminated and looks horrible now.

Laminate may look nicer, but it's no easier to maintain than carpet unfortunately.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:10 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
How does laminate work in a bathroom?
Actually it works quite well with a good vapor barrier along with the underlayment. Just like wood floors, you'd want to wipe up any pools of water and use bath rugs. I had laminate in the bathroom for a decade and never had any moisture problems, probably because I made sure to wipe up any water.

I'm a big time tile fan, but really like the look of the laminate in the bath. Our current bath has mismatched tile and I'm wondering what to do with it - laminate or tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House