U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 AM

32 posts, read 4,860 times
Quote:
please let us know when you finally do register because I don't want to get you something you don't want............I am just so excited , I can't wait....

Hmm, I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm here. Good thing I have a great sense of humor ...or that would have hurt my feelings .

Well, after further research, I ended up finding some "cute" - not so expensive things on Bed Bath and Beyond's website. Target also has a "list". I'm not sure exactly how it works yet, but I have a month or so to figure it out

Thanks for the suggestions!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,797 times
Hi, we just moved into our first home as well. We had it built for the last 6 months and we finally got our keys last month. I'm planning our house warming party for this month and we registered @ Target for mostly lawn and garden stuff. Since we've been renting a condo for the last few years, we don't have any gardening tools... I don't think its tacky at all because I'm very particular on how I want my home to look like on the interior.
I just don't like having odds and end that don't match my decor laying around my home. So I let my husband register for his things... because I don't want any plants (i forget to water), scented candles (that I dont like), or things like that. Our families are both VERY giving and we just don't want them to buy us decor' we when don't need it. I figure its more practical for us to register then to really offend them by not using the gift/decor they bought.
If they we're loving family members like ours are, they wont get offended, they'll appreciate it that we took the stress out.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,970,535 times
I registered last spring/summer at Bed, Bath, & Beyond when my home was being built. It was fun and received some really nice gifts. I think it's valid up to 2 years...so it can be available for birthdays and holidays too. Target does offer this service as well...good luck and happy scanning!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,556,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPrincess View Post
I would like to register to avoid people buying gifts that I don't really need or want (sorry if I sound picky ). This is not my first place, but I am starting from scratch ie., new living room, dinning room and bathroom ideas. So I have specific styles, fabrics, prints, etc., in mind. Any ideas on how I can steer people in the right direction, without directly saying..."I want this"?
There is no way such a thing does not say that "you want this" and "I expect you to give me gifts." It really is a new low in the "everybody owes me presents because I'm alive" greed grab. Why not just charge admission? Miss Manners would be appalled.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM

10,279 posts, read 10,984,182 times
I would ask for gift cards at such and such location..I'm buying my first house too and am sure to get asked what I need. I pretty much have already bought everything but for the odds and ends, Im asking for gift cards to HD, Lowes, Macys, BBB and LNT..You get my point..I can't wait either!!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,610,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Miss Manners would be appalled.
I agree One should graciously accept presents which are lovingly given, or your very closest friends/relatives can "hint" to others what you might like to receive, IF somebody asks. At this point in time I wouldn't be surprised if somebody set up a registry for their kid's first tooth fairy party

Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM

311 posts, read 1,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I agree One should graciously accept presents which are lovingly given, or your very closest friends/relatives can "hint" to others what you might like to receive, IF somebody asks. At this point in time I wouldn't be surprised if somebody set up a registry for their kid's first tooth fairy party

Ditto and amen - are you kidding me?? I must apparently live in a different world where...

A) - we didn't expect anything and only told my parents when they asked that a new stove would be fantastic since the old one had two dead burners.
B) - gracioulsy accepted whatever we got regardless if it matched our decor
C) - never even THOUGHT about a registry????

Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 AM

178 posts, read 194,701 times
I'm sorry, but seriously... a house warming REGISTRY? That is beyond tacky. Are you also planning on sending out invitations listing your registry? Or perhaps calling people and letting them know where you registered?

With a housewarming, when people ask you what you need, I'd be very surprised if the response they expected was to be directed toward a laundry list of items they can choose from in order to "gift" you. I would hazard to say that most of the time it's a courtesy statement and should not be taken as an indication that they are willing to open their pocketbooks up to your design whims. An exception may be very close family (e.g. mother, father, etc.) but I wouldn't direct them toward a registry either!

I don't mean to sound harsh, but your job in hosting a housewarming is not to figure out how to procure the best haul of gifts. A housewarming is about welcoming your guests--"mi casa es su casa" if you will. Make your guests comfortable, provide food and drink as appropriate and graciously accept anything that someone might have thoughtfully decided to bring you (of their own will, without your prodding)--and be equally gracious to those that brought you nothing but their friendship and good cheer--those are the most valuable gifts anyway, and they always match your decor!

Have a great party!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,823,137 times
To actually register for housewarming gifts is a new low. Right up there with baby showers for your 2nd and 3rd kids All in very bad taste.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,895,242 times
If you run in a crowd that gives gifts for a housewamring, then just keep them wrapped. Do not open them and save them for later. You will certainly need a gift for some other event in the very near future and you will ahve something already to go. You will not even need to bother with wrapping. Just be careful that you do not give them back to the giver. Make sure that you cross out your name ont he tag where it says "To:" or use whiteout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House