Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 09:23 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

And if so, was it as traumatic as I would guess it would be?

I was thinking of that, reading about this recent train derailment in Maryville, TN, the train carrying 24,000 gallons of a toxic hazardous material, and 5,000 people were evacuated. And what of those who owned pets? Perhaps someone caring for elderly parents in their houses?

And then there was the 3 Mile nuclear accident, in PA, in 1979, with 144,000 people evacuated.

Anyone ever been through this? And, the big question, whether it be a result of a potential hurricane, forest or brush fire, or flood, can you refuse to leave your house, or are you forced to leave? They certainly can't drag you out of your house, kicking and screaming, can they?

It's unimaginable to me, rounded up, and all brought together in some school auditorium or sports arena for whatever length of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

And then there was the 3 Mile nuclear accident, in PA, in 1979, with 144,000 people evacuated.
That was voluntary... most stayed.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:03 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
You can refuse to leave.

What I do, if someone refuses, is hand them a black magic marker. I then ask them to write their name and Social Security number on their torso, a leg and the opposite arm.

That will make identification easier after we drag them out of the storm sewer system after several days or when they wash ashore after the crabs have worked them over for a few days. They usually decide to leave then.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And if so, was it as traumatic as I would guess it would be?

I was thinking of that, reading about this recent train derailment in Maryville, TN, the train carrying 24,000 gallons of a toxic hazardous material, and 5,000 people were evacuated. And what of those who owned pets? Perhaps someone caring for elderly parents in their houses?

Anyone ever been through this? And, the big question, whether it be a result of a potential hurricane, forest or brush fire, or flood, can you refuse to leave your house, or are you forced to leave? They certainly can't drag you out of your house, kicking and screaming, can they?

It's unimaginable to me, rounded up, and all brought together in some school auditorium or sports arena for whatever length of time!
Only once back in 1994. A forest fire came within a mile or so of our house. My then DH, the firefighter, was gone fighting fires elsewhere! The Forest Service told us to 'get ready' to evacuate and I found out just what was most important to me at the time. I loaded my car with picture albums, important papers, some clothes and prepared to load up my dog and three cats. Fortunately I ended up not having to leave but it was scary for a day or so.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
No but our friends left Florida because hurricane Charley was bearing down on them. The hotel they wound up in was flooded, but their house was unscathed. Since then, they've stayed put.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:08 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
What a relief to know you can't be forced out of your house and you have that option to stick it out!

I was under the impression, you had to leave!

For those with any number of pets, it would be an absolute nightmare!

Old 07-08-2015, 12:25 AM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I left (voluntarily) for Katrina, but nothing happened to the house, so I stayed for Ike.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 AM

483 posts, read 655,022 times
We have kits in place for both us and the dogs so we can grab and go if we ever need too. Food, water, copies of documents, leashes, clothes etc.
We also have 2 sets of friends with keys, so hopefully between the 8 of us someone could go over and get the dogs and their kits if one of us couldn't get there. We also keep a simple day kit in the car. We've always had something in place. When we lived in WY it was getting snowed in, in Seattle it was for earthquakes or even fires, now that we're back in Houston its storms.
In Houston we had to stay the night at friends place during the Memorial day storms, it was nice to have everything we needed for us and dogs for the night.

We also keep enough basic stuff to stay put for 10 days or so if need be. So we could stay during a hurricane if we couldn't leave in time, just wait it out and then go get more supplies after things had died down. Not having power would stink, but we'd make do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House