Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 8,392 times

Advertisements

Hi I am new to this sort of thing but I have a question about this topic.On my 2nd floor, I have some condensation around the vents in the wall. I understand that when the metal boots are in a hot location, and in my case inside a knee wall, and cold air passes through them it can cause condensation. I think I have determined that I have no vapor barrier around the metal boot, can someone post a photo of the correct way that the metal boot should be as far as the way it is supposed to look with a proper vapor barrier around it ? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:22 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,535,896 times
It should be wrapped with insulation; right up against the wall. To further the seal, mastic the joints within the boot and the connection (either flex duct or hard pipe). Also sealing/caulking the boot to the drywall will help.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It should be wrapped with insulation; right up against the wall. To further the seal, mastic the joints within the boot and the connection (either flex duct or hard pipe). Also sealing/caulking the boot to the drywall will help.
I do thank you for your response and it will give me a lot to go on.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:27 PM

Is the above response from K'LedgeBlder is that an easy fix to do myself or should an heating and air tech do it? thank you

Old 07-10-2015, 11:09 PM

The first image would be an improperly insulated boot-
The second would be considered properly done.

I certainly can't speak for your skill level- that is something you'll have to judge for yourself.

edit- couldn't get second image to load. But, the boot is completely covered with the duct insulation- no sheet metal of the boot is exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about condensation around duct vents-image.jpg  

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 07-10-2015 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The first image would be an improperly insulated boot-
The second would be considered properly done.

I certainly can't speak for your skill level- that is something you'll have to judge for yourself.

edit- couldn't get second image to load. But, the boot is completely covered with the duct insulation- no sheet metal of the boot is exposed.
Hi and thank you for your help so far, I was able to check the ducts and they are installed as you put it here, is there any thing else I can check? thank you.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:00 PM

I should also add that I had a new and larger system installed because whe the house was built I only had the 1st floor, when the 2nd floor was finished they added the duct work when they added the new larger unit, could this have anything to do with anything?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernhomeman View Post
Hi and thank you for your help so far, I was able to check the ducts and they are installed as you put it here, is there any thing else I can check? thank you.
Excessive air leakage from other areas of the house- doors, windows, basement, etc.- this results in high humidity; a possible cause of the condensation.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernhomeman View Post
I should also add that I had a new and larger system installed because whe the house was built I only had the 1st floor, when the 2nd floor was finished they added the duct work when they added the new larger unit, could this have anything to do with anything?
Well, anything is "possible".

But your description leaves little to be desired. It "sounds" like a haphazard attempt in creating a HVAC system. Then again, without physically looking at it is a WAG at best.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Well, anything is "possible".

But your description leaves little to be desired. It "sounds" like a haphazard attempt in creating a HVAC system. Then again, without physically looking at it is a WAG at best.

Hi could you tell me what is meant by a "wag" SYSTEM? THANK YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House